RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 254
Change-out of sewer hose

it's Dudley Do-Right again with his trusty
06 40' Apex, and due to extra time on my hands I have decided to try to make the spiffy "Automatic Sewer Hose Extender" work again. It has never worked for me but I didn't consider it a priority, so never looked into it until now.
Following the rule of "Look for the easy stuff first", I checked the battery in the remote control, and it was bad. When I replaced it the system tried to work!
However, since the system requires air-tight integrity to function, I discovered multiple air leaks in the fabric of the spiral tubing. So, my big question is this:
In the curb side wet bay, the black/grey manifold terminates at a 4" ell which connects to what seems to be some kind of a fabric tube that disappears into the innards of the coach, to reappear at the street side wet bay. I suspect this tunnel changes to 4"PVC once it gets out of sight in the curb side bay. It seems to me, that the flex hose makes a hard connection to the manifold inside this fabric cover someway. I'm guessing that this cover is cosmetic only, but it would be nice to know for sure before I cut into it. There is also a 4" coupling at the downstream end of the PVC ell, THEN the fabric tube.
Anybody out there been into replacing their sewer hose?
Dudley Do-Right, '06Apex40MDTS
__________________

Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
Member
 
Maryfaith Moon's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 32
Hello Mr. Do-Right:
I am in a similar frame of mind (e.g. to refurbish my nifty Auto-Hose) and - like you - feel the need to replace the oldish, pin-holed spiral tubing even though mine did work sort of before the solenoid stuck in the extend mode and I had to disconnect it.
Anyway, I would appreciate any wisdom you gain by experience or research and I will reciprocate.
PS - any time you can implement their use, pix really help ;-)

2nd Owner, '06 APEX 40 FDQS
__________________

Maryfaith Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 813
Mine didn't have the fabric cover over the assembly in the tank bay at the manifold termination. Mine has a white pvc tube that the sewer hose runs through between the manifold to the utility bay. If you have a turquoise colored hose, it's the original Polychute sewer hose. Some 06 Apex coaches had a screw in end for the manifold side. Mine happened to be the upgraded cam lock which made replacement much easier. When the old hose is removed, you'll have to modify the manifold for the cam lock. Here is a view of our tank bay (before I cleaned it). The cam lock connection and white pvc tube can be seen at the lower left. https://drainmaster.com/rv/products/mini-view12
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	446367-44-large.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	284085  
__________________
Janet and Todd Legg
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Member
 
Steve and Linda's APEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Mine didn't have the fabric cover over the assembly in the tank bay at the manifold termination. Mine has a white pvc tube that the sewer hose runs through between the manifold to the utility bay. If you have a turquoise colored hose, it's the original Polychute sewer hose. Some 06 Apex coaches had a screw in end for the manifold side. Mine happened to be the upgraded cam lock which made replacement much easier. When the old hose is removed, you'll have to modify the manifold for the cam lock. Here is a view of our tank bay (before I cleaned it). The cam lock connection and white pvc tube can be seen at the lower left. https://drainmaster.com/rv/products/mini-view12


While you are repairing your sewer line, add an additional drain line for your RO fresh water system. Add a pex shut off valve and T to the red drain line in the picture. Mount a hose bib on the bottom of your Coach. Add a pex line from the T to the hose bib. When complete, close the shut off, connect a short hose to the hose bib, open the hose bib. Start loading water through your RO system. Water your lawn with the bleed. Bypassing your sewer hose!
Question: How do you disconnect the cam lock in the white PVC tube?
Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Mine didn't have the fabric cover over the assembly in the tank bay at the manifold termination. Mine has a white pvc tube that the sewer hose runs through between the manifold to the utility bay. If you have a turquoise colored hose, it's the original Polychute sewer hose. Some 06 Apex coaches had a screw in end for the manifold side. Mine happened to be the upgraded cam lock which made replacement much easier. When the old hose is removed, you'll have to modify the manifold for the cam lock. Here is a view of our tank bay (before I cleaned it). The cam lock connection and white pvc tube can be seen at the lower left. https://drainmaster.com/rv/products/mini-view12
Yes, yours looks just like mine, and you're correct, today I worked the white coupling back onto the elbow, thus exposing the connection. I could also see that the tubing although somewhat soft, wasn't fabric, but PVC or something with a rubber core fairly substantial. I'm wondering if the collar, once unscrewed, will pull out from the street side? There is no way the polychute I've got with the dog and pin type connection is going to pull through that hose. I'll have to cut the ring off, and put it back together someway when it gets pulled through. I bought that assembly some years ago, but never used it. The nozzle end,{streetside} is identical to the original piece. I guess I can buy a male end to glue in the elbow,once I get the screw type piece out.
Remarks? Dudley
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Linda's APEX View Post
While you are repairing your sewer line, add an additional drain line for your RO fresh water system. Add a pex shut off valve and T to the red drain line in the picture. Mount a hose bib on the bottom of your Coach. Add a pex line from the T to the hose bib. When complete, close the shut off, connect a short hose to the hose bib, open the hose bib. Start loading water through your RO system. Water your lawn with the bleed. Bypassing your sewer hose!
Question: How do you disconnect the cam lock in the white PVC tube?
Mine doesn't have the cam lock, it has a screw on connection. I will have to remove that fitting, and install a male cam lock fitting. Also, the prior owner put an extra drain in the RO waste water line, so I can already bypass the sewer connection.
In answer to your question, the white PVC coupling isn't connected to the black elbow, or the white PVC tubing. It's just a slip fit, and can be slid back over the throat of the elbow, thus exposing the connection.
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
paul65k's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 726
Actually you can custom order a replacement hose with the proper screw-on connector from these guys directly. They are in Watsonville CA and can actually do the install and any modifications if you are looking for an expert to assist

They had a custom replacement made for my late model Alpenlite (same set-up as the Apex) and it was a very easy screw-on replacement made to the appropriate length. BTW they have an updated hose material that is more compact and will stretch further than the original while fitting in the same space

https://drainmaster.com/rv/products/mini-view12
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS - 1600W Solar, 10,752 Wh (840Ah) LifePO4
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Actually you can custom order a replacement hose with the proper screw-on connector from these guys directly. They are in Watsonville CA and can actually do the install and any modifications if you are looking for an expert to assist

They had a custom replacement made for my late model Alpenlite (same set-up as the Apex) and it was a very easy screw-on replacement made to the appropriate length. BTW they have an updated hose material that is more compact and will stretch further than the original while fitting in the same space

https://drainmaster.com/rv/products/mini-view12
Well, there you go. If they will put on a screw in end, you won't have to modify your plumbing at all. I suggest tying on some string to the threaded end so that when you pull the old hose out you can tie the strings onto the new hose and pull it back through to connect it. Have fun!
__________________
Janet and Todd Legg
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #9
Member
 
Maryfaith Moon's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
I suggest tying on some string to the threaded end so that when you pull the old hose out you can tie the strings onto the new hose and pull it back through to connect it. Have fun!

Hey Todd,
Good one!

Sounds like maybe you've been hanging around commercial/industrial electricians. That's one of our "tricks" for replacing/adding wire to an existing conduit.



@ Paul:
OMG, I had no idea Drainmaster is in Watsonville...only about 20 miles from our old haunts in Santa Cruz...NO wonder they're so EXPENSIVE!!
__________________
'06 Alpine APEX 40FDQS, 2nd Owner

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser TOAD
Maryfaith Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
Member
 
Maryfaith Moon's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 32
BTW - I believe that white tubing that houses the slinky-hose between the tank manifold and the wet bay is a material generally called "Hancor" typically used for rain-gutter drain systems in residential applications and can often be found at building supply stores like Home Depot.

(Just in case you ever needed to know for replacement purposes.)
__________________
'06 Alpine APEX 40FDQS, 2nd Owner

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser TOAD
Maryfaith Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryfaith Moon View Post


@ Paul:
OMG, I had no idea Drainmaster is in Watsonville...only about 20 miles from our old haunts in Santa Cruz...NO wonder they're so EXPENSIVE!!
Drainmaster is in Hollister.
__________________
Janet and Todd Legg
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
paul65k's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Drainmaster is in Hollister.
Hollister, Watsonville..........at least they're close
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS - 1600W Solar, 10,752 Wh (840Ah) LifePO4
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
paul65k's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Well, there you go. If they will put on a screw in end, you won't have to modify your plumbing at all. I suggest tying on some string to the threaded end so that when you pull the old hose out you can tie the strings onto the new hose and pull it back through to connect it. Have fun!
When I replaced mine I loosened the white tube and ran the new tube through it, screwed it back on, and then re-installed the tube/hose as a unit.

I seem to remember the whole process taking me about an hour and a half.....if I was to do another I could easily do it in under an hour!!
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS - 1600W Solar, 10,752 Wh (840Ah) LifePO4
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 254
sewer hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryfaith Moon View Post
Hello Mr. Do-Right:
I am in a similar frame of mind (e.g. to refurbish my nifty Auto-Hose) and - like you - feel the need to replace the oldish, pin-holed spiral tubing even though mine did work sort of before the solenoid stuck in the extend mode and I had to disconnect it.
Anyway, I would appreciate any wisdom you gain by experience or research and I will reciprocate.
PS - any time you can implement their use, pix really help ;-)

2nd Owner, '06 APEX 40 FDQS
Mary Faith, I just saw ur post, and if you will look at postings for 5-19, you will see a couple of interesting posts about getting a new hose with the obsolete screw type end fitting on it. That would be much much easier. I was able to install the new style connection successfully, because I have prior experience with doing similar things to other types of PVC fittings

Dudley Do-Right, '06 APEX40MDTS
__________________

Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Substituting hose on hose reel for Sanicon hose LagunaJim Newmar Owner's Forum 2 07-26-2019 07:26 AM
Sewer connection to home sewer rvgrandma MH-General Discussions & Problems 19 01-28-2019 11:21 PM
Sewer Hose and Water Hose Ctrujillo45 Class C Motorhome Discussions 10 11-19-2017 02:23 PM
Easily Disconnect Stubborn Sewer Hose Fittings With The RhinoFlex Sewer Wrench! RVupgrades Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 3 02-13-2015 11:14 AM
How do you route your sewer hose and still keep out the unwanteds? Statgeek Fleetwood Owner's Forum 17 11-27-2013 09:26 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×