Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I plugged in to shore power but the charger inverter does not seem to be powering up. No xantex panel dispay. I tried the reset on the charger but no power. Help?!
Brad
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I plugged in to shore power but the charger inverter does not seem to be powering up. No xantex panel dispay. I tried the reset on the charger but no power. Help?!
Brad
Old 07-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Brad:

You need to verify that power is flowing through the coach. I'd first check to see if 120 volt power is arriving at the subpanel, since this is the easiest place to check.

If it is arriving at the panel, then verify it is leaving the panel. There is a circuit breaker that sends the power from the 120 volt subpanel, out to the inverter. Make sure it isn't tripped.

If it is leaving the circuit breaker, see if it is arriving at the inverter. If so, verify that you have a ground at the inverter and that 12 volt power from the batteries is also arriving at the inverter.

Next, verify that there is 120 volt power leaving the inverter and returning to your other subpanel, the one that has all of your inverter-supplied circuits.

There are several, normal weak points. Grounds, fuses or circuit breaker at the inverter or circuit breakers at the two subpanels.

Just think of how it flows through the coach.

1. Shoreline to supressor or booster and then to transfer switch OR, generator to transfer switch.

2. Transfer switch to 120 volt subpanel main breaker or lugs.

3. Through subpanel and back out through a circuit breaker.

4. Circuit breaker to appliance, light or outlet OR to the inverter.

5. From the inverter, back to other subpanel.

6. From other subpanel, back out through the circuit breakers, to appliance, light or outlet.

7. Batteries to inverter.

8. And again, inverter to other subpanel.

If your inverter has no power, it is not receiving either the battery power or the power from the main subpanel.

Hope this helps, even if it's rambling and repetitive.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I am getting 120v to the lights but not to the microwave or the charger. The fridge switched to elec. mode. I am only plugged into 20 amp so I'm only looking to charge the batteries and run the fridge. Guess I'll wait till morning.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 AM   #5

If you have no Xantrex panel display, check that both the house and chassis battery disconect switches are on fully. If in doubt, switch them off and back on.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I tried the battery disconnect swithes earlier but nothing. I have also run the generator with the same results.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I am getting 120v in and out of the main breaker panel but not the sub panel. ???
Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Two Sailors:

If you are getting 120V at the pedestal and no voltage at the sub panel the only thing between the pedestal and sub panel is the transfer switch or a possible surge protector, I would look at them first.

I also forgot to indicate that when you plug into a 15/20 amp 120 volt service and it trips the house circuit breaker it is because the Coach is using more than 15/20 amps. When you plug in the power is routed through the inverter and that will provide power to many accessories including the TV, stereo, Sat Receiver, VCR/DVD etc, etc. Just because they are off they still are still using power and it may be more than the house circuit can provide. I know when I plug into a 15/20 amps my transfer switch/surge protector will not work and I have no power.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #9

When you plugged into a 20 amp receptical you had to step down from a 50 amp plug. Check to see if you dropped a leg in doing this. This can be checked by plugging staight into a 50amp receptical.
Fredie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #10

I would also suggest checking that you are getting 120 VAC through the 20 amp to 50 amp connection. However, if you ran the generator with the same results, that would eliminate that. Also, if you started the generator, it means that there is enough power in the batteries to start the generator.

If you have no indication lights on the Xantrex control panel, I would check with a voltmeter if the Xantrex is getting 12 VDC. If your coach is the same as mine, the inverter/charger is in the basement. I also assume that you have the RS2000 inverter. The RS2000 Operations Manual has some trouble shooting procedures in it and I would suggest you refer to it. The control panel on the inverter has some status lights on it that may shed some light to the problem. There is also a RESET button on this panel that I would try. Also, give some thought to when the inverter operated OK and what transpired since them. Good luck.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
All is working again. It turns out that at sometime I had set the inverter in powersave mode which means that after several hours of inactivity (storage) the inverter goes to hibernate mode. To get it started again you have to press and HOLD the reset button on the Inverter for a few seconds to get it to start.
Thanks for all the advise.
Brad