Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #29

Nice
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
The solenoid did the trick!

Thanks everyone 😎
Glad to hear that it was a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.

I’m interested to know, how or why, the solenoid may have been operating properly while charging on shore power but not while driving and charging via the alternator.

If it was an intermittent problem, it would seem logical to be intermittent in both situations. Did you drive the coach frequently enough that the chassis batteries received charges on a regular basis? Perhaps a day of driving every week or two?

Is it possible that there was a load on the house batteries, inverting while driving, that kept the alternator from being able to fully charge the house batteries?

Clearly, the solenoid had gone bad. Could it have been malfunctioning in both situations and just gone undetected while on shore power?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Glad to hear that it was a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.

I’m interested to know, how or why, the solenoid may have been operating properly while charging on shore power but not while driving and charging via the alternator.

If it was an intermittent problem, it would seem logical to be intermittent in both situations. Did you drive the coach frequently enough that the chassis batteries received charges on a regular basis? Perhaps a day of driving every week or two?

Is it possible that there was a load on the house batteries, inverting while driving, that kept the alternator from being able to fully charge the house batteries?

Clearly, the solenoid had gone bad. Could it have been malfunctioning in both situations and just gone undetected while on shore power?
He had said at one point that he hadn't been on shore power for a few days, so likely also not working. I asked about that, but the question got overlooked.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #32

Quote:
The solenoid did the trick!

Thanks everyone 😎
I’m guessing that the solenoid is the same on a 2004?
Can you tell me what the part number and source is?

Thanks
Dan
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:59 AM   #33

To be accurate, the solenoid was not working at all. Alternator was charging chassis batteries only, Inverter/Charger was charging House batteries only.
Problem solved, thanks for the help!
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #34

Standard Motor Products. SS608
Old 09-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Standard Motor Products. SS608
Are you sure you have the correct part. This is what most folks use. It is rated at 200 amps continous duty.

https://www.amazon.com/TROMBETTA-TER.../dp/B013U62E6I

On Edit: The SS608 is rated at 80 amps.
https://www.standardbrand.com/en/eca...ype=p&search=s
Old 09-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #36

FWIW, I bought the same relay that Rick got, Trombetta 200a continuous duty. TMT 114 1211 020 bought from Murcal Industries in Palmdale CA

At least you’re up and running and that’s the main thing.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #37

Showed the guy at the shop the old one, that is the replacement one he sold me. Knew just what I was talking about.

Is that possibly why the old one failed? I may just pick up a spare, just in case...
Old 09-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #38

...not sure what the OEM part was but I would probably take the 200a over the 80a solenoid --if nothing else, suspect it would be more durable. As for failure, no first-hand experience but have always been curious about the charging parameters in the Vansco charging protocols? Suspect something like the solar panel charging or a hidden draw could cause the Vansco to bounce between charge and not charge--owners often report continuous clicking in the battery compartment and the charge solenoid being very warm [hot] to the touch....even a continuous use-rated solenoid cant handle rapid cycling over time--but I am just thinking out loud????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:02 AM   #39

I agree with Big Scout. I found a 300 amp Trebetta on amazon, I’m gonna replace my 80 amp when I return home from our road trip. Hopefully it will last a couple weeks.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...As for failure, no first-hand experience but have always been curious about the charging parameters in the Vansco charging protocols? Suspect something like the solar panel charging or a hidden draw could cause the Vansco to bounce between charge and not charge--owners often report continuous clicking in the battery compartment and the charge solenoid being very warm [hot] to the touch....even a continuous use-rated solenoid cant handle rapid cycling over time--but I am just thinking out loud????
The VMM simply sends a signal to open or close the solenoid. The VMM has no charging parameters or protocols.

The magic number is 13V.

1) While on shore/generator power, once the house batteries reach 13V, the VMM signals the solenoid to close, which connects the house and chassis batteries together. They are then charged by the parameters and protocols as set on the charger. Should the house batteries drop below 13V while on shore/generator power, the VMM would signal the solenoid to open, which disconnects the chassis batteries from the charging parameters and protocols set on the charger. Should this occur, the house batteries, alone, would be charged until they again reached 13V. Return to 1).

2) While driving/running engine, the alternator charges the chassis batteries until they reach 13V, VMM signals solenoid to close, batteries connected, now charging both banks. Should the chassis batteries drop below 13V, solenoid opens, house batteries no longer being charged by alternator until chassis batteries reach 13V. Return to 2).

Technically, the VMM controlling the solenoid could be considered a charging parameter. Personally, I view it as a simple switching mechanism that connects a second bank of batteries to a charging system.

With luck, someone else will address your solar concerns. I need to take a nap.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #41

Sorry, 13v is a parameter....eg, above it --no charge; below it -- charge......so without a range say 13.5v to 14V..... a simple trickle charge from the solar panel; and/or an off-set by a variable draw, might cause the solenoid to rapidly cycle....only a speculation on my part-- other "explanations" for failure of these solenoids over the years are always welcome.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Sorry, 13v is a parameter....eg, above it --no charge; below it -- charge......so without a range say 13.5v to 14V..... a simple trickle charge from the solar panel; and/or an off-set by a variable draw, might cause the solenoid to rapidly cycle....only a speculation on my part-- other "explanations" for failure of these solenoids over the years are always welcome.
Now you have your VMM parameter.

Actually, charging is occurring below 13V. The charging is being applied to the house batteries while on shore power. At 13V, a switch is thrown and additional batteries are added to the charging cycle.

How would you propose to have the switching occur within a “range”?
Close at 14V if voltage is increasing, open at 13.5V if voltage is decreasing?
Is the VMM capable of doing that?
Would some other device be needed to determine where in the range the solenoid gets opened or closed?

In this thread the OP has made no mention of solar panels. What prompted your solar panel theory?

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries