Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #43

…..according to the OP's profile he has a 2005, so he has at least 100 watts of OEM panels [unless removed]--I would think… the problem of Vansco - activated charging solenoid failure has been an ongoing issue since 2004. Interesting, not all owners report the problem but many have [kind of like the brake pedal pressure issue on newer Alpines w/adjustable pedals]. I was just spit-balling a possibility --something must be causing the solenoid issue?
PS-- as for what the VMMs can/cant do--this is the million dollar question--perhaps only EM knows that answer...I do know the VMMs contain a lot of proprietary firm-ware--new module has to learn it from the remaining module when one is replaced.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #44

The 100 watt (2, 50 watt panels) as well as the 10 watt trickle charger panel were both options in 2005.

Our 2005 has the 10 watt which is now a potato chip.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #45

"the problem of Vansco - activated charging solenoid failure has been an ongoing issue since 2004. Interesting, not all owners report the problem but many have"

I replaced my Trombetta 4 1/2 yrs ago and it is still working just fine. That said, the relay that failed was a cheap POS that was in there when I bought the Alpine, it did work fine for the first 6-7 months of my ownership. That would indicate that the original had failed at some point and a previous owner threw in a cheapie.

It's good to know that in an emergency you can pick up a cheap replacement at a parts store and go on your way until you have time to get a good replacement.

When I bought my new Trombetta it was $45 so I bought a spare. I don't know what would be considered an acceptable lifespan, 10 yrs?? That would be good enough for me.

FWIW, I've never heard any kind of chatter from the relay, even the one that failed, not saying it can't happen.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Is there any way to bench test a Trombetta ? I have two spares from previous owner (used). Thanks
Old 09-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #47

Take them apart and look at the contacts. They may be able to be filed flat or replaced.

The pull in coil rairly fails.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries