Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Chassis A/C drain not draining....

Stopped for fuel today and noticed the top of the generator was all wet. (weather was very hot and very humid) Looked at the cover on the condenser and water had been draining out everywhere buy the drain hose. I took the drain hose off and just a few drips were coming out. Took a plastic "zippy tie" and probed up into the housing thru the hole where the hose connects but it didn't help. Didn't seem to be anything in there that would impede the flow.

Has anyone had any problems with this?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

Refuse1,

First of all, I'm assuming that you are referring to condensation from the roof top A/C, not the dash A/C. If so, then I'm surprised that the condensation found a path to the top of the GenSet, but I suppose that could happen. In my experience, condensation on top of the GenSet has come from the dash A/C. not the rooftop A/C. I haven't found a way to stop condensation from the dash A/C from dripping onto the GenSet. Cummins Onan suggested that I put aluminum tape on the GenSet seams to keep the moisture out of the GenSet, since moisture invasion of the GenSet can potentially affect the GenSet circuit board.

When I had a 2001 Alpine Coach, I frequently had the rooftop A/C condensation drain stop up. My solution to the problem was to use an air hose on one end of the drain to blow out any obstruction. Of course, if you blow from the end away from the A/C, then you might blow water/debris into the coach, so you need to put a towel or whatever under the intake vent for the A/C to catch that stuff.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #3

I have a 2001 that the roof air just drips down the side of the coach. From the response above, I assume there is a drain - where does the drain go (front and rear AC)? Guess if I pulled the covers the drain could be obvious and perhaps I could lear it with air or running a wire down it.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #4

GMDavidson,

It appears that WRV routed the roof A/C condensation drain lines (one for each roof A/C) in different places, depending on the year and model. So, I can only tell you to look for a clear plastic hose somewhere underneath the coach, in the engine compartment or around the GenSet compartment. Underneath the coach, I think the drain line usually has a bug cover on the end of it.

Also, you can take the cover off the intake vent for each roof A/C to inspect the clear plastic drain hose. Using a flashlight, you should be able to see the hose. If you crawl onto the roof, you can take the canopy off each A/C to see the condensation drain pan to look for any debris or stoppage.

Finally, even if the condensation drain hoses are working okay, you might sometimes get condensation on the roof if the coach is not level.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
This is an issue with the chassis (dash) A/C, not the coach (roof) A/C.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #6

Dale thanks for the info on the roof AC drains!
Gary
Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Dale, can the hose be accessed from the roof? I removed the AC roof cover and couldn't figure out how to access the hose.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #8

With regard to the dash air condensation, the drain port/tube seems to be slightly higher than the bottom of the collection area, hence the dripping on the genset as the trapped water eventually gets between the dash A/C shroud and the firewall. I solved the problem by using some polybute putty/tape to cover the seams between the dash A/C shroud and the firewall--now the condensation tracks down the drain tube as intended.

As for the roof A/C drains, the collection cups are on the outside of the units [so little chance for an internal coach mess]. A a puff of air from "your truely" [no air compressor needed--COPD notwithstanding] will usually clear any obstructions. However, cleaning out the cups is more difficult.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Old Scout. I'd really like t find a way to get all the water drained out of there. (I dont like the idea of trapped water sitting) It does not look like a cover that I want to remove and look in there. Seems like a bad plan not to have the drain at the lowest point.....
Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #10

Cant say how much water actually gets trapped or how long it lasts before evaporating. Forgot to mention that I just taped/puttied the side of the A/C shroud that is directly over the genset. Accordingly, some "trapped" water does continue to leak out behind the shroud--just not over the genset. Suppose the more daring solution is to create another opening on the shroud that is not above the genset to reduce the amount of trapped water.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
John and Lori:

My front A/C roof drain can be accessed from either the roof (under the shroud) or from the underside of the unit, behind the vent cover on the ceiling. However, to clear mine, I just blew through the drain end of the tube at the front DS corner of the coach, behind the genset slide. The earlier caution of water exiting the ceiling is valid, though I offer no other comment.

I had planned on using an air compressor, but solved the problem using my own hot-air.

The front tube passes from the A/C unit, directly forward to the TV then turns left/port/DS to the corner. I can see it in the ceiling inside the cabinet.

BTW, the rear drain exits at the rear DS corner right at the hatch/door/boot.

I also have the dripping A/C from the dash air. I suppose now I'll be forced to deal with it. The top of my genset shroud is rusting along the edges. Thanks for your ideas, Old Scout.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Gary,

Unlike the later coaches, my 2002 coach had more than blockage causing the leak onto the roof. The drain from the front AC ran to the pass side back to and down the fridg cabinet, thru its floor into the holding tank bay and across to the drivers side, then thru the floor there to drain to the ground. I found a low spot in the drain tubing, in behind the fridg and 2 places in the holding tank bay. These low spots will fill with water and plug the tubing. By changing the ties and adding some additional ties I was able to change to a smooth, no low points, run and the roof leaks stopped.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote