Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #29

The solenoid might be energized (13V more or less to the small studs) but the internal connection across the large studs may be oxidized preventing effective charge levels. I had that on a previous "fat boy" solenoid. After replacing it, I disassembled the offending solenoid & sure enough, the contacts had a lot of burn spots, and the oil film on the contacts (presumably by the mfgr to prevent burning) included small burned chunks that likely prevented good contact needed for charging.

You can check this situation yourself by doing a Charging Solenoid Test.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
As always Engineer Mike is very through in his testing. I on the other hand, as someone who mainly fixes things, try to do tests the easiest way. Any switch can be tested for internal resistance by reading the voltage across the contacts. After making sure the solenoid is energized by checking the voltage to the small stud on its side, attach a digital volt meter across the 2 large posts. If the contacts are perfect then the voltage will be zero. If you get a reading of a tenth of a volt or more you are starting to have problems.

It is my experience, that when either bank of batteries is at a charging voltage then the Vansco powers the solenoid.

Mike & Mike,

You have a 3 stage "smart charger", after a full charge is achieved, the charger only puts out a few amps as needed to maintain a full charge.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Dale. I have 12.4v across the small terminals. When testing across the large posts I have a reading of 1.5volts. Am I correct in assuming that my solenoid is not functioning correctly and that is the most likely source for my lack of chassis battery charging?

jerry
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #32

The fix that was eventually used by WRV to correct this problem was to install a Echo charger which will solve charging problems. There was an unidentified problem that was related to the outside temperature that would stop the solinoid from switching banks. I realize there are other fix's but this is cheap and effective

Jim
06 Apex
midflajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Jerry,

Some info about the Echo Charger:

It's made by Xantrex (who probably made your inverter).
It costs about $125 MSRP and you can find them down to around $100.
It's got 3 wires and is real easy to hookup, I did it myself in our previous (Trek) coach.
You might be able to find one at West Marine, their SKU is 333669, and they have stores near Fremont in Palo Alto, San Jose, Oakland, and many more.
Xantrex webpage: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/103/p/.../5/product.asp

Good Luck!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
As I am less than knowledgeable on this subject, if you add the echo charger to the system does all else remain the same? Does the echo charger simply overlap the existing system insuring that all batteries get charged?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #35

yes, all else stays the same it just senses which bank needs to be charged, so even if the solinoid works it ensures both banks get charged. I'm sure you know if you have one bad battery in the bank its a problem

Jim
06 Apex
midflajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,

With a reading of 1.5 volts across the solenoid, I would say it needs to be replaced. Doing so should cure your problem. While it does need replacing, it may not be the whole problem.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the great input. I have ordered a new solenoid and the Xantrex echo charger. Hopefully the installation of these two items will solve my charging problems.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #38

We had the same problem of chasis batteries discharging over 2-3 days even though plugged into shore power on our BRAND NEW 2005 FDTS 40 foot.

Turned out to be related to outside temperature/battery temperature. The sensor on the batteries turned off the chasis battery charger solenoid in hot Florida temperatures even though it worked fine in Washington state.

Adding the Xantrex Echo charger (about the size of a deck of cards) solved the problem. Nothing else was chanted.
Snuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Don't know if this is applicable, but has Jerry gone up on the roof and ensured that his 10 Watt solar panel is not fried, and causing his batteries to discharge through that. I may have the wrong set of batteries allocated to the 10W solar panel as well.

FWIW - I sent JRV Products, Inc an e-mail letting them know mine has shorted out, and was asking them what if anything they will do about it since I have only owned the thing since May. If they offer to send me a new one, I am going to see about upgrading to at least 100 Watts, and pay the difference.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #40

I don't recall whether or not that is the same manufacturer as who mfg'd my totally fried near new 10 watt unit on my near-new '05 sometime back, but all I ended up with in my lengthy attempts to get re-imbursed (or some remedy) from WRV or the manufacturer was a big nuthin'. Seems to me I was out of pocket in the range of $500.+ with the replacement 20 watt unit and installation. I'd do some homework and get input from this forum as to whom the members think build a good solar panel, and whether or not they stand behind their product.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I do not have the 10 watt unit as I elected to have the factory install the 100 watt unit when I purchased the coach. It seems to be working correctly although I keep the coach covered in my yard so it cannot operate during this period.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
To finish up this thread, I just installed the new Cole Hersee solenoid and the charging system is back to working normally. I'm not going to install the echo charger unless this solenoid goes bad in a relatively short time. This is my third solenoid.