Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Chassis welding question

I need to have some welding done on the coach chassis and trailer hitch. Looking for some advice on specifically what electrical devices (such as VANSCO or other digital gauges/devices with a computer) need to be disconnected and how to do it…? Does disconnecting the chassis and house batteries prior to welding do the trick? If not, what is the proper process/protocol? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 09:39 AM   #2

Disconnect from shore power then disconnect ground wires to house and chassis batteries.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #3

And put the grounding lead as close to the work as possible, an experienced welder will already know this.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Both good advice.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:36 AM   #5

Here was my protocol when I performed extensive chassis and structural mods to my coach.
I disconnected all battery leads.
I then pulled all fuses and switched breakers to off.
I unplugged all electronic devices including the auto level jack leads and plugs, anything electrical was unplugged.
As mentioned before, ground lead was as close to work as possible and assured of good contact.
I had spent months adding a frame extension for torsion axles, a very sturdy 2x8” steel bumper, a genny tray, and support for other equipment.
Upon reconnecting all electrics I had no gremlins to overcome. All work was performed in 2018 without any consequential damage.
Good luck!
lunge motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #6

From a fellow Alpine owner, this is what is, or should be in your coach battery bay, as pertains to welding on the chassis.
Attached Images

Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:05 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Good morning! Thanks to all for the feedback and great advice… I’m now much better prepared to deal with this challenge. Cheers!

Tags
chassis