Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #1

Does anyone know the proper technique for checking the oil level in the differential? Should the gear oil be level with the access plug, within an inch (ie, within reach with your finger), or something else?.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #2

Does anyone know the proper technique for checking the oil level in the differential? Should the gear oil be level with the access plug, within an inch (ie, within reach with your finger), or something else?.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The oil should be level with the bottom of the threads in the access hole. That's the proper technique but I do know of those who figure it's okay if it's within an inch. Whatever you do, don't overfill or else it'll foam.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:30 AM   #4

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Greetings from West Columbia, Texas

This raises another related question. The owner's manual for my SUV has me changing the differental fluid something like every 30,000 miles. My motor home owner's manual says nothing about it. Should it periodically be drained and replaced?
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #5

Re checking the level. What I was told by a mechanic was to insert your finger in so that the first knuckle is at the inside of the hole and when extending the finger down the oil level should at least be at your finger tip. That is what I do.

In a post recently by Swansnest he indicated that at the police car maintenace facility he was involved with they changed the differential fluid after the 1st 5000 miles in order to get rid of any metal filings from the new gears and did nothing after that but check the level? Not an authority on this and would be interested in any other input.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

On my equipment and trucks we always like to change fluids after a short initial time frame. As mentioned, chips and filings from the initial machining operations get flushed out that way. After that it's more like a 5 year interval for axles on low mileage equipment. We've found that synthetic gear lube makes a huge difference in longevity of the fluid and the parts it's lubricating. The only drawback is that it stinks when you work with it.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Jetar:

My friend owns a differential repair shop and said that many gear manufactures put a coating on the gears to help during break-in. He said that you should change the fluid at about 5000 miles to remove the coating and any fine shavings in the fluid. He said that if you don't it could decrease the life of the differential. Remember there are gears meshing, pinion, carrier, and axle bearings break-in at the same time which may leave some fine shavings in the fluid.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #8

To follow up, just finished changing gear oil in my 2003's differential(about 5 years and 65K miles since birth). Oil was dark, a bit foamy, and some fine black sludge--no filings were attracted to the magnetic drain plug. So now "I feel better." Owners manual indicates 15 pints to fill it but that barely reaches your finger-tip when fully inserted thru the oil fill hole. Called Mark at WRV and we agreed 15 pints is adequate but 17-18 pts might be better. Therefore, I went with 2 gals and a quart container [18 pints)--still puts you "half-a-finger" below the fill hole. My apologies to all those with less than 65k miles or who trade before these "pedestrian" issues come up--smile.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-31-2006, 06:16 AM   #9

What kind of differential oil are you replacing with? Anyone using synthetic like Mobil 1 besides Cruzer ?
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:56 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR:

FYI I am using Synthetic Differential Oil in the Alpine. I purchased a 5 gal pail of Valvoline from NAPA Auto & Truck parts for use in tractors and installed it in the Alpine for about $130.00.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:04 AM   #11

Dave, are you running synthetic in your front hubs as well? I would assume this would help the gas mileage as well and give superior lubrication also. Mike E.
iron mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #12

Danny, I am a great believer in "good, better, best"--synthetic is probably the best but I went for "good" and used Advanced Auto's house brand[Accell?](it was the only thing I readily found in gallons--I didnt want to sit under the coach sqeezing in 9 quart-size containers). If we were hauling 80-90k lbs of gravel up hill everyday then by all means go synthetic but for RVs--I figured 65K miles and 5 years was good enough for a change out. Actually, I was just checking the fluid level in the differential and decided to add a quart. During the process, I noticed some non-descript "floaties" on the end of my "official" oil level checking finger and decided it was time to change ...Happy New Year...dean
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 01-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Mike

I never thought about running synthetic in my front hubs. I will try the next time I go out and get another 5 Gal pail of synthetic gear oil.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #14

Dave thanks for responding, almost thought no one saw my comment. The reason that I have been into the front wheels is because the right front loosens up on me after so long . Haven't figured out what causes it though.

Have been through the same oil as the engine, the original factory stuff, and several others after draining. Have found that the lock nut must be backed off with the main bolt to allow the cut washer to come up against the cut on the axle to keep it tight for awhile. This problem surfaced about 12 K miles ago.

Perhaps some one has a fix for this loosening
problem? Both front tires have wear on both sides. Have found tire pressure is critical.

38' Alpine 2003 FDDS, 2000 Suzuki toad. -50 here at home today. Mike E.

Boy would I like to try Propane!
iron mike is offline   Reply With Quote