Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Coach not leveling properly

My coach is not leveling properly. I am parked on relatively level pavement. I start by dumping the air to lower the coach and then initiate the leveling process. The jacks raise the coach so the tires are almost off the ground and the coach is not level. Should the jacks raise the coach this high after I dump the air? Where is the level located in the coach and how can it be adjusted so the leveling system gets the coach level? I did repeat the leveling process and got the same results...coach is high and not level.
djdobbins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #2

Your HWH pump is in the little door just aft of the FR tire; your HWH brain is either in between the frame rails just behind the pump area or in the same compartment as the pump.
On later models (at least 05 & forward that have the motherboard in an aluminum box w/one side of clear plastic so you can see the LED indicators) the level sensor is a small PC board within the brain box. Not sure how it worked on the earlier models that don't have the clear plastic cover on the motherboard enclosure.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #3

I have a similar problem. My coach does get level but with the slightest difference between front and back and I'm level but with one wheel or another off the ground.

My solution was to use a small level and lower the jacks manually. I haven't had a problem since. Us humans have common sense where the computers do not(at least not yet).
mcbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #4

First you don't need to dump the air first. When you initiate auto-leveling by pressing the start button twice the system dumps the air before lowering the jacks. What is the control panel telling you? Does it indicate which side is low, are you getting the "excess slope" light on? If the panel thinks you are level and this does not agree with a spirit level on the floor then the sensor is out of adjustment. On mine the sensor is attached to the ceiling of the basement behind the water tank. You need to download the HWH documentation.Western Recreational Vehicles Documentation
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

On my 36 MDDS '04 the HWH box is right where EngineerMike said it is. Very likely yours is too. It does have the plastic cover so you can see the circuit board, and the manual from either HWH from the above post or the ACA website tech library will show how to adjust the level sensor. I have done it and it is easy to do. You need a stubby Phillips screwdriver and a wrench.

But there can be another reason that the coach does not level properly. Each jack has a jack pressure sensor switch on it. In the automatic leveling sequence, the system will look to make sure each jack has pressure, indicating that all jacks are firmly on the ground. If the switch is haywire or the connector loose and it does not sense pressure, it will continue to raise the jacks in order to get pressure until it reaches the excessive slope limit. About a year after I got my coach I had this problem, and it was traced back to a bad control board (under warranty). It happened again a few years later, but this time there was a connector on one jack (the end that kept going up) that had become disconnected. I reconnected it and it worked fine.

If the yellow light on the panel is out, indicating that the coach is level, but it continues to rise, this might be your problem. If the yellow light is still on and it thinks the coach is not level, the sensor needs adjustment.

The ACA website tech library also has the HWH 625 Service manual. If it is the problem with the pressure switches, it will give a good troubleshooting guide to determine the problem. The control panel has lots of red and yellow LED's on it, and the Service manual tells what those lights mean during trouble shooting. I have used them, and solved a problem I had last year.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #6

Oops. I reread Mike's post, and didn't realize he had mentioned two possible locations. My control box is in the compartment behind the RF tire. Easy to see and get to. (Unlike the solenoid valves.)

Here is a picture that shows the board that controls the leveling adjustment. It is the horizontal board at the bottom. The yellow LED's match the yellow LED lights on the control panel inside the coach. Level the coach front to back and side to side manually using a good level, and then adjust that board as described in the owner's manual until all of the lights are out. (How the control panel should look when the coach is level, all yellow lights out.)

This picture wasn't taken to show it, so it isn't a great picture. But you get the idea. The glare is caused by the plexiglass cover on the box. You don't need to remove it to make the adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0064.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	37620  
Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #7

I have a theory. If your control board has the clear plastic it will be located in the compartment aft of FR tire, and it is a Series 625.
If its amidships, behind the compartment aft of FR tire, it won't have the clear plastic cover, it'll be a box w/a buncha wire loom to it, and its a Series 610.

Everyone should get the correct manual for the series control in your coach. The 610 manual is HERE in post# 4. The 625 Owner's & Service Manuals are HERE in the ACA Library.
I'll try to get the 610 manual up on the Library page in the next coupla days.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #8

Mike, it appears that if you have an Apex you have the 2000 series.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #9

Yeah, Apexers have a dual pump setup that was used on emergency vehicles. Tho the theory is sort of nice, the reality is the layout pretty much sucks because you have to dismount the whole shebang for a number of fixits.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW- We had a hose end leaking and it was replaced without removing the stuff in the compartment, the technician just pulled out some slack hose and put a new end on the hose. It works fine now. It seemed to be a jack hose, but we never lost level, that is assuming the hose is opposite the solenoid valve on the other side of the manifold.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Commercial Member

jim a has the correct answer. for a coach going way off level, very often a pressure switch will stick in the open position which tells the computer that that jack is not down with pressure on it. the control box just keeps extending the jack till it maxes out.
using a vom meter, you can check for an open ground between the side of the pressure switch and the wire connector. open circuit with a jack extended indicates a stuck switch.
engineer mike is also correct. its hard to do a good diagnosis without a service manual. all service manuals are available on the www.hwh.com website, free downloads.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling