Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #1

Coach Overheated

Near Odessa, TX our coach started to overheat and we got off of the freeway and there was a Cummins shop. We pulled in and called the number on the door(they were closed it was Saturday) and the answering service answered and they said someone would call us. They called and came to the shop and let us plug into their power. The control module that tells the fan to start is no good. Has anyone had this problem and if so where did you get the new part? Cummins found a supplier that sold one in 2007 but none since.

Larry
2004 40' MDTS
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #2

There has got to be a way to bypass this switch in an emergency. Maybe a manual switch could be used to turn the fan on as temp goes up.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #3

Larry- you can unplug the fan control module if yours is the electric unit, and the fan speed should default to high. If its the wax valve type you have to eisconnect & then plug the lines (no flow) to default fan to high IIRC. See this thread for additional info, and from the Alpine Forum home page do a Search on Fan Controller for more discussion than you need.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #4

Replaced the Wax Valve

After a long search by Cummins Southern Plains in Odessy, Tx. they found a wax valve and replaced it. They found one but it was only a 183 degree instead of a 190 degree. They also found some that were 210 degrees but they did not want to use it. It would have taken 12 weeks to get one of the 190's because they are made in the UK. After making many calls to valve suppliers and Motor Home dealers Buddy Gregg in Texas said that Monaco used the same setup as WRV did. He checked Monaco's inventory and saw that they had one so Cummins called Monaco and purchased it. These valves don't fail very often so they are not an item that people keep in their inventory. The engine stayed cool so the valve is doing it's job. I cannot say enough about the people at the Cummins in Odessa. If you ever need service and are in that area I highly recommend them. We got their on a Saturday and they were closed but have a 24 hr emergency number that you can call. I did that and the parts manager came over and opened a door so we could plug in and then get service on Monday.

Larry
2004 40' MDTS
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

I truly don't understand how you guys, with the big rigs, can stand it. One part available? What's going to happen a couple years down the road? What happens when the motorhome company fails which historically is more likely than not? I can't imagine not seeing the lunacy of this. What engineer in his right mind creates an overly complex method to run a fan? To have a huge rig sitting stuck over this, to me, is ridiculous. This qualifies as a catastrophic failure. You're stuck and the big powerful engine is helpless. Just what would you do in the Yukon? At night and on a weekend.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I truly don't understand how you guys, with the big rigs, can stand it. One part available? What's going to happen a couple years down the road? What happens when the motorhome company fails which historically is more likely than not? I can't imagine not seeing the lunacy of this. What engineer in his right mind creates an overly complex method to run a fan? To have a huge rig sitting stuck over this, to me, is ridiculous. This qualifies as a catastrophic failure. You're stuck and the big powerful engine is helpless. Just what would you do in the Yukon? At night and on a weekend.
WOODYDEL,

You say, "Lunacy...ridiculous..."

We can stand it because we really like our Alpine Coaches in spite of the problems and the lack of a parent company (WRV went out of business in early 2008). Also, for most of us Alpine Coach owners, this forum is our lifeline, so we view this forum primarily as a means to HELP each other, not as a means to criticize.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
.... What happens when the motorhome company fails which historically is more likely than not? ....... What engineer in his right mind creates an overly complex method to run a fan? ...
THAT'S RICH!!!!

Wait till he finds out how WRV replaced the wax-valve system with a more complex system!!!!

I could probably name a few dozen parts on a Four Winds Hurricane that will leave you stranded, too. Assuming you have enough power to get to the stranding location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hurricane.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	6504  
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry! That wasn't very nice.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #9

I was not picking on anyone. The criticism is of the predicament of getting stuck. You paid good money for a motorhome which should be bulletproof. Nobody on the forum can help find the valve nor find a valve in the future. There was only one. One.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
THAT'S RICH!!!!

Wait till he finds out how WRV replaced the wax-valve system with a more complex system!!!!

I could probably name a few dozen parts on a Four Winds Hurricane that will leave you stranded, too. Assuming you have enough power to get to the stranding location.

Today, I can make a 65% PROFIT if I sold my motorhome. That's IF NADA is accurate on it's value. Mine was 1 year old when I bought it. I've been as far as Alaska with it. Never broke down but I can fix it myself with parts from any Ford dealer, except that Ford will fix it for free. They will even tow me to the closest APPROVED BY FORD repair facility UNLIMITED miles. No charge to me. Yes, even in the Yukon.

The best yet is I don't expect my motorhome to breakdown. It could happen but I sure don't expect it.

I think you all deserve LESS problems.

Yes, I have a lowly Ford chassis as do 74% of all motorhomes manufactured but Ford's been building that chassis for a long time. They keep improving that chassis yearly. That's what I trust. Like the original VW's focus on improvements. Now, with such a big market share, they have an unusually low incidence of failures I'm talking about.

As far as power goes I had no problem coming up out of Skagway. 362 horsepower is plenty to get the job done.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale777 View Post
WOODYDEL,

You say, "Lunacy...ridiculous..."

We can stand it because we really like our Alpine Coaches in spite of the problems and the lack of a parent company (WRV went out of business in early 2008). Also, for most of us Alpine Coach owners, this forum is our lifeline, so we view this forum primarily as a means to HELP each other, not as a means to criticize.

The SITUATION YOUR IN is ridiculous not the owners.

The ENGINEER'S lunacy not yours.

None of you deserve to have these type of problems. I'm on your side.

How about they installed a BYPASS switch. Why do you need a module to control a fan? Why do you need a module with different temperature settings? You don't.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #12

Unfortunately, there is a need for a temperature control. With the fan at full rpm, the engine tends to run cool and continuously high fan RPMs probably isnt good for the hydraulic pump or the fan motor--oh bother!

PS--think I got the "second to last" wax valve that was on the shelf in the USA a couple of years ago.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #13

Hi Old Scout,

All engines use some means of temperature control. That's what a thermostat is for in most engines. Simple devices which are easy to replace. Not integrated with anything except the cooling fluid in the engine. A well made electric fan is not going to wear out from running even continuously but even that fan only needs a thermostat to cycle.

I was thinking about the purpose of forums. The members read this example and every single one of them sends emails and letters protesting the situation. To the motorhome company and the chassis manufacturer. That's how you help each other and get improvement to the situation. For each person to handle the situation as a one man operation is ineffective. There are laws about repair parts being available. They are not supposed to be in the UK. Had the OP not been lucky enough for the ONE part being found, he'd be out of luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #14

Our manufacturer is kaput....our fans our hydraulic and a wax valve is harder than "hen's teeth" to find....but if you think this is bad, the recent recall on Cummins hi-pressure fuel lines makes finding these pipes harder than finding "chicken lips"--huh, maybe I am hanging around KFC too much!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote