Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #15

Under 40 deg I will turn on the 115V block heater. Regardless if plugged in or not, after the "wait to start" light goes out, the Cummins (NOT Cummings) 6CTA 8.3 fires up after maybe half a revolution.

Grid heaters or the relays can occasionally fail, but not often.

Good luck

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #16

ISL 400 Coolant Heater

A coolant heater port is available on ISL 400 engines adjacent to the lubricating oil cooler (turbo side of the engine) just above the coolant inlet connection. I had to replace the heater on my Ram 2500 truck heater and I recall a bill of of about $75 for new heater and cord if your engine is not so equipped and requires a retrofit. Contact me offline for further details if interested.
dhschultz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #17

I would have someone perform a code scan. Something is wrong if it won't start in the thirties without any help from heaters. An injector leaking down will prevent getting a high enough fuel pressure to start. JMO

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #18

If I were guessing--and I am--I suspect that since the OP wasn't aware of the grid heating system procedures on the ISL400, he probably isn't letting the grid heaters run long enough before trying to start the engine....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #19

Use of engine pre-heat to minimize wear

Notwithstanding posts related to use of grid heaters to raise combustion temperature and enhance starting, if memory serves, Cummins recommends the use of engine pre-heat (block heater) to minimize startup mechanical wear when temperatures are 25 deg F or lower. My ISL 400 does not have an OEM block heater, and I have not retrofitted the engine with same since the coach is not operated in winter temps. Based on 20 years experience with my Cummins 5.9 (Ram 2500), if the night time temps are forecast less than 40 deg, I plug the engine in. The pre-heat makes a world of difference - the engine cranks and starts as if summertime temps prevail. Additionally, engine noise levels and smoothness of operation are night and day difference with / without preheat, clearly indicating much less wear from the free flowing oil. IMHO, preheat at less than 40 deg F is well worth the cost of electricity to save cold start wear and tear on all engine components.
dhschultz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #20

dh--totally agree with your assessment. If I had to start the coach everyday is sub-40s temps, I would definitely consider some kind of aux. heating system. But I don't and I won't--growing up in Wis, I always thought the most important reason for owning an RV was the ability to point the nose south and escape to warmer climates.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #21

Thanks for all the input

I also like to point south but sometimes that is a problem. The suggestion to preheat 2 or 3 times before starting has resolved the issue for now. Thanks for that input. Tomorrow I'm heading south. My previous MH had a Cat and a Block Heater. When I get to TX, I will either locate the Block Heater on the ILS or install one. I was looking to find out if someone with an 05 Alpine and a 400ISl knew if there was one already installed. It is my hope to get out of the cold for good but the housing market in my area has been dead for 8 years. Thanks for all the input but I have a solution.
wrl5774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #22

I seem to remember a starting problem with my '99 with ISC engine. The grid heaters would not turn on. Took it to Cummins and they replaced the ECU which solved the problem.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather