Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #15

TedIII: Do you have the part # for the pressure relief valve from Cummins that shuts down at 135#? I could offload my compressor. Every bit helps.
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Bruce,I use a filter like the K&N brand. It can be cleaned then re-oiled and used till it needs service again.......Got it at an FMCA show,And it will last a long time with many cleanings.

Be Safe; Chuck Czuleger
Old 09-18-2006, 04:00 AM   #17

Chris & Debi, yes I do have the number but it is in my coach. I will get it and post it.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
We also use and highly recommend a K&N air filter. We have had the same filter on our 2004 since we bought it, and it is still in great shape.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #19

Chris and Debi (and Ted for that matter),

Ted posted the Bendix part number a while back. Check the "Portable Air Compressor to 120 PSI" thread. It was:

Cummins Air Compressor 400ISL-115-135PSI, P/N 283657D-2

I have not pursued it yet, so I can't tell you for sure if it was correct. But with Ted I would assume so.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #20

The only thing I have found for K&N is for cars and pickup trucks. Where do you purchase your K&N air filter, and do you know the part number?

Bruce
Old 09-19-2006, 04:03 AM   #21

Bruce

I would think "Long and Hard"¯ before substitution of a factory approved air filter. The long range effects could be devastating. I have never examined a K&N for RV's but in the Jeep community the K&N is not popular. If you hold one up to the sun you will see why, the filter is as porous as a screen door. Great for performance, poor for engine life.

Danny
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Danny Gayhart: Great for performance, poor for engine life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not too sure about that. K & N touts that their filters capture even smaller particles than the traditional paper filter. I believe this to be true, especially because the K & N is an oil permeated cloth filter.

The wavelength of light is quite a bit smaller than the particles you are intending to capture in the filter. Remember your engine has to breath through this filter, so better air flow is ALWAYS good.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #23

Chris & Debi, I really thought it was the coyote that asked for the P/N but I will have to wait to get back at him in some other way. Everything always comes around. Anyway, the compressor check valve is a Bendix valve P/N 283657-2 and it bolts on in place of the valve you have existing. On my engine and I am sure on yours looking at the coach from the rear the valve is on the right bolted to the engine about halfway down the engine. When you get your head in there you can follow the air lines. Very easy procedure to replace. As noted I took one of my front tires from 115# to 120# and I figured about 30 seconds a pound. A great many service stations cannot pump that kind of pressure with that kind of volume. (referenced as CFM) Let me know if you have any problems getting it and I will get you one. I believe it was $ 55-60.00.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #24

Keep in mind that the yellow coil air hoses
are really neat to store but the ID is quite small.This will make adding air to your tires even slower. I would buy an air hose with at least an ID of 1/4" no less and be very cautious of the pressure rating of the hose. I would think a minimum of 500 #'s to 750 #'s. Mike E could help with that answer.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #25

Ted: Could you tell me where (on-line) that I could find the Bendix valve? That's the only way we can shop way up here.
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #26

Chris & Debi, I am certain that I got oors from WRV. I will verify when I check through my records. Call Dave Kaampi and ask him in service.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #27

Ted- Air hoses should be rated for &gt;200psi, probably most around 300+ are decent. I shop at a local store in Sacramento that specializes in air equip for industrial users; I carry supple "superflex" lines cuz I'm a tool junkie. I carry a 50' x 1/4" line (non-"coil") for reaching all tires and a separate ultra-supple coil type (not the hard yellow plastic) that's maybe 20' for mobility of air tools other than the tire chuck.

Jeff- Better air flow can't always better, or no air filter would be the best. Filtration is a balancing act between free air flow and particulate trapping. In a diesel, multiple times more so than in gas engines due to the very high compression in diesel, dirt is destructive due to its abrasive action. In independent filtration tests for GM diesels (run standardized weighed samples of dirt/dust thru different filters at velocities approximating engine-run conditions, then compare before-after weights of the filters to determine the amount trapped), K&N trapped the least stuff (i.e. passed the most stuff thru to the engine). I agree the K&N is easier breathing than most paper filters, but I wouldn't risk my engine's longevity on it. If there was a K&N product that replaced the fiter can with a larger one accomodating a significantly larger filter diameter (so as to slow the air velocity thru the filter & allow comparable filtration), I'd be looking. But I'm not aware of that type of retrofit. IMO, OEM paper filters are good insurance for the big sweaty wad of money I put into Cummins' pockets.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #28

Mike, thanks for clearing up the air hose pressure situation. I am definitely showing my age with a company called Repair Unlimited, Inc. I do have technichians that know all those things that I have forgotten(thank goodness) but I had to to be a smart A** and create one of my own answers. I am still smart enough never to do that again.