Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #1

Is the compressed air source (quick-connect) at the rear curbside compartment strong enough to air up the tires to proper driving pressure? I haven't obtained a long hose for this purpose yet and if the air pressure is strong enough I will make sure I buy one long enough to go all the way to the left front tire.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #2

Is the compressed air source (quick-connect) at the rear curbside compartment strong enough to air up the tires to proper driving pressure? I haven't obtained a long hose for this purpose yet and if the air pressure is strong enough I will make sure I buy one long enough to go all the way to the left front tire.

Thanks,
Old 09-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #3

Don't waist your time buying an air hose. I don't know why Alpine has this air attachment, but it would take a long time to ever fill a tire of this size, let alone ever have any pressure to it so you could drive on it. If the bead on the tire/rim was broken, forget it.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Rick, You can do it..... In a short amount of time you can top off your tires, if they arn't too low. It has worked for me for the last six years.Only air up COLD tires and check your pressure first thing in the morning and every morning.Get a good gauge and air chuck with stright push/pull ends.Good luck

Works for me.
Chuck Czuleger
Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #5

Topping off my tires is all I had in mind. If I had a REAL tire problem I'd leave the work to someone with the proper equipment. I also like to use compressed air to blow dust out of the lower compartments.

Thanks to you both.

Rick
Old 09-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #6

I carry a long hose and use it to top off the RV tires, car tires and bike tires.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #7

Rick,

Wal-mart, Home Depot and others sell yellow coiled hoses for a very low price. Get 2 of them; buy connectors for them, giving you 50', which is more than enough to get to all tires. I use it regularly on my coach, toad, and our other car.

Also, get a spray nozzle. I use it to clean out my air filter regularly. Blow from inside to outside.

Bruce
Old 09-08-2006, 06:43 AM   #8

To all who top of their tires on this thread:
Are you able to get to 110 on the front tires?
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #9

I have an '05 38FDTS and can top the front tires to 115 with the engine running but it is a little slow. It sometimes helps to bleed a small amount of air from the hose to reduce the pressure and force the compressor to come on line.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #10

Chris,

Alpine recommends 120 psi for front tires, and I was easily able to inflate to that pressure with my coach compressor. After weighing my coach loaded, and consulting the Goodyear specs for inflation according to weight, I have decreased the pressure to 115.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Bruce, Regarding your comment about using an air nozzle to also clean your air filter......PLEASE, PLEASE don't attempt to clean your air filter at all. Especially with an air nozzle. All of the Engine Mfg. DON'T recommend this practice, It could put a small tear or hole in the element that could lead to a "DUSTED ENGINE". If an air filter needs to be replaced replace it and spend the $40-$100. And not the cost of a new engine......

Be safe;
Chuck Czulrger
Old 09-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I used to cary a small double tank compressor and gave it away when I found I could run AIR TOOLS with the onboard air and the engine running. There's enough air to run a die grinder/cut off wheel. And look at all the space/weight I saved!

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #13

I have a 2005 34" Alpine FDDS and the standard pressure relief valve on the engine compressor shuts down around 112 lbs. Cummins has a different pressure relief valve that shuts down at app. 135#. I replaced mine with this valve and have no problem doing 120#, which is required in my front tires. It is much easier and takes no additional room to have this. I am quite satisfied with it. As someone mentioned if my tire was down around 50 #'s I am calling somebody.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #14

Chuck,

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I recently returned from Alaska where we drove extensively on the Klondike Highway and many other dirt highways. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find an air filter before the trip. In this case, I am happy to have been able to clean the air filter with the air gun after we returned to pavement. I mean, lots and lots and lots of dirt in that filter.

However, I was thinking that normally each month I should clean out the filter with the air gun. After hearing your advice, I don't think I will.

I tried to buy an air filter at Cummins Denver last month, but it would take 2 week for the order to arrive, at which time I would be long gone from Denver. Where do you buy yours, and do they carry them in stock, or must I arrange an advance order in some city to match my travel path?

Thanks