Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #15

You earlier mentioned a near battery box fire after (was it the selling lot?) tech did some work in there; a lot of smoke & arcing when they attempted to move the coach. I'm assuming some serious re-wiring was needed. Maybe not all off it got back to where it was supposed to be & something is cross connected. See the Peak Chassis drawing below for the correct Cummins wiring layout for your rig.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Cable Layout.pdf (300.5 KB, 44 views)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Todd here: Stroke of luck to find this 2010 thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/repl...0-a-78279.html

Looks like Gary and Renee have a unit identical to ours and live close by. Looks like Basil Shannon installed a Magnum inverter in it. I am very curious to see if the Magnum fully interfaces with the Silverleaf on their unit. Perhaps this would be the way to go on our unit? Fingers crossed here.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #17

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
I replaced the dead Xantrex 2000 with the Magnum 2800 while in a RV park in Wichita, Kansas. Sorry, no pictures. I think WRV installed the inverter on the chassis and then built the coach around it because it was somewhat difficult to pull. I ran on the factory settings until I got to Colorado Springs One Stop Custom Shop - Home where I got new AGM batteries, new cables and inverter set-up. This guy is an inverter expert. Lots of Alpines have been thru there and all sing his praises. Talk to Vic Egg. Later in the trip, Silverleaf installed a new interface box and did all the reprogramming. Never had a lick of trouble with the Magnum. Gary has been deep into Silverleaf and can tell you about the interface.

Go look at Gary's battery cables with the enclosed ends. $$$$ but well worth it.

Like it says in the 2010 thread, the back of my 2000 inverter was smack against the frame blocking airflow. Hopefully yours is different but something to look at.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #18

If you have Hydro Hot, a good place for the inverter is in the basement, hung upside down from the coach floor using carriage bolts down thru the floor from the drawer under the fridge (or below res fridge as the case may be). This places the inverter above the waste tanks where you could deal with it if you have to.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

That's where ours is; backwards; so the front panel with the human interface is facing toward the center of the coach. Perhaps this was done so the ventilation fan was not smashed against the frame rail causing overheating and premature failure?
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #20

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet in WA View Post
Mike,

That's where ours is; backwards; so the front panel with the human interface is facing toward the center of the coach. Perhaps this was done so the ventilation fan was not smashed against the frame rail causing overheating and premature failure?
Yours is an early model Apex 75594 (#1 production 75587 Fuller, 75598 Gary & Renee) which has been modified by somebody. Pictures would be worth a thousand words. Backwards? Weird!
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #21

I've consulted my technical resources & confirmed- whoever put the inverter in backwards is a moron.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Important update. Dale didn't make it in today. Silverleaf will start on the coach in the morning. That is all......
Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Update: We received a briefing from Dale who said that our coach is an earlier version Apex with the Vansco on the RV-C bus. He found that the Xantrex SW2012 was also on the RV-C bus with the Vansco. The Xantrex was flooding the network with data in response to data it didn't understand. Dale moved the Vansco to the J1939 bus temporarily. He is now thinking that he'll move the Vansco back to the RV-C bus with the Silverleaf and put the Xantrex on it's own line. Cory is writing some code to facilitate the move. Today they will complete the function testing and button things up. I asked Cory to perform updates on the rest of the Silverleaf gear.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
All - When we replaced the inverter in our coach because of the accident, it required an interface box, built by silverleaf to interface with the new Magnum 2800. It also required all the other computers to be re-programed so they would work on the magnum. I have the dell TV so the refresh rate on the Video box has special programing to run on that unit. Good Luck. Silverleaf is in Albany, OR, and they would love to help you if you need it, and maybe this has been already taken care of. The battery sensor between the battery bank and the inverter from Xantrex seems to work just fine with the Magnum. I have the new one, and will change it once I can psyche me up to crawl under this thing.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
OK, the coach is done and back from Silverleaf. The inverter is inverting. It's on it's own separate line to the Silverleaf, the Vansco is back on the RV-C bus and all appears well. We can't pick it up yet because the motor for the power reel decided to die. The tech is going to work on it tomorrow and we'll be able to pick it up on Sunday unless something wierd happens. He's had the motor out once to bench test it so he knows what he's getting into.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #26

Isn't there an old song about this?
"I fixed it ooooone piece at a time
and it didn't cost me a dime,
you'll know it's me
when I roll thru your town."
Er something like that.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
So true EMike. I guess the lesson learned here has already been taught by Monty and that is to exercise the equipment regularly. This rig sat around for a couple of years in Texas on a consignment lot. That's bound to cause some issues.