Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2022, 07:59 AM   #1

Considering a 2005 Alpine. Are Vansco VMM problems guaranteed?

Hey all! As the title says, I am considering an '05 Alpine and have some concerns about the Vansco VMM modules. My question is are the problems with these modules guaranteed to happen? I have done extensive reading on here and know they are no longer in production and hard to find (at best) - and I missed the final order window. I also know there has been some success getting modules from other coaches/buses reprogrammed for the '05 and later Alpines.

That all being said, I guess my ultimate question would the "impending VMM doom" issues keep you away from a Vansco equipped Alpine. It is a great coach, but the VMM issue is definitely my main concern. For what it's worth, I'm also considering Country Coach and Foretravel. Thanks in advance for your feedback
gtb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
No guarantees

Mine is a 2001, so no Vansco; but I've been monitoring this site for many years and meeting annually with a bunch of other Alpines. I'd guess maybe 10% of Vansco coach owners have had to replace units. Surely it would be possible to substitute a more modern system, but at what pain and expense? I wouldn't chance it, but I'm 85 years old.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #3

Honestly, we knew nothing about Alpines or Vansco when we bought ours. We were able to pick up a spare on that last order, but we’ve had no problems so far. The Alpine is such a good solid coach that we are planning on keeping it and just renovating/repairing as needed. They just don’t make them like this anymore.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:31 AM   #4

I have had my coach for almost 18 years and no Vansco issues. And know of very few who have had problems. So it is by no means guaranteed you will have a problem. It is a major issue if you do have a problem, but the odds are in your favor.

I did buy a spare in the last order.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #5

Thank you all for the feedback so far! I guess it would make sense that you hear more about the problems than the good things so I'm glad to hear the failure rates, while high at an estimated ~10%, aren't totally terminal. That being said, if I end up moving forward with this coach I would absolutely try to source one or two spare modules from the manufacturer (long shot) or a bus/coach breaker yard. Electronic components like capacitors get old and and inevitably fail so the failures will likely increase as time goes on, so having spares on hand would definitely be something I'd work on.

Feel free to share any other thoughts on the subject - I really appreciate it!
gtb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:43 PM   #6

Just purchased an 05. Please educate me on what I missed. What is the Vansco and what’s the issue. Then, where do I source it so I have one incase. Thanks.
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:48 PM   #7

And the next question is where is this little jewel located. Thanks
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #8

There are 2 VMM’s. One in the battery bay, the other behind the panel in front of the passenger seat.

I’ve heard that EngineerMike has been able to “repair/reprogram” units for 2005 and later models. 2004 has proprietary logic, which apparently has yet to be discovered.

The modules contain self resetting relays. Sometimes one or several relays fail. Occasionally, swapping the modules positions, front to rear can “fix” the problem. If the engine won’t start, a rear module problem, moving the front unit to the rear may allow the engine to start, but the failed relay in the rear unit that was moved to the front position may mean that the left turn signal, or some other function, doesn’t work.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:21 AM   #9

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
wwere able to pick ue knew nothing about Alpines or Vansco when we bought ours. We’ve had no problems so far. The Alpine is such a good solid coach that we are planning on keeping it and just renovating/repairing as needed. They just don’t make them like this anymore.
Ditto. I bought a new spare and programmed it for our '07 (using EM's great doc) as insurance but they can be quite hard to find.

That said, I had, initially some fixes an upgrades. Thankfully, the seller/original owner included two large ring binders of manuals + downloaded threads, and this forum, most were handled by me with common tools. The most work was reading/understanding how the coach works; essential to these complicated machines.

IMO, other condition/mx issues on used coaches are of far greater concern than the 'mystical' E-unit called Vansco.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:28 PM   #10

Since I have a 2004, what do I do if mine goes bad? Or what should I do before that happens. Thanks
KentZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:13 AM   #11

a failure can be small

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentZ View Post
Since I have a 2004, what do I do if mine goes bad? Or what should I do before that happens. Thanks
The units are solid a solid state collection of relays and circuit protections. Failures are not necessarily total, meaning one mall cease working, i.e., say the driving lights.

The first troubleshooting step is to swap the units, to ascertain if the issue is really the Vansco or external to it. The switch or circuit may not reach it, or the output may not reach the controlled unit. There is a 'key' a sticker attached to the inside of the panel fore of the pax seat the lists all the LEDs, in and out and the system it controls; two columns for IN or OUT .

If the input LED. say #19 doesn't light when the switch is activated, the Vansco has no signal. The trouble is probably before the Vansco. If #19 lights, then the diagram-listed OUT LED should light up, say #7, meaning the Vansco is working, but downstream has a problem. A flashing LED indicates the Vansco detects a problem, say a shorted wire. The complication is the IN or OUT can be either GND or 12vdc, but that Vansco function may be externalized using a relay.

That's how I found the problem with my engine cooling fan. A flashing output LED indicated a short in the wire to the clutch solenoid. That wire was crushed under a metal intake 'hose'. The Vansco was my friend!
Old 01-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Free2Go
Vansco VMM

We've owned our 2005 Alpine for 10 years and have 165,000 miles on it. I organized the last VMM buy and didn't order a spare for myself. I've had two issues with mine...both we're small issues with the pins not making contact which I resolved myself. The units are hard to break as is indicated in the other comments...but when they do break, you need a replacement.
Being an Alpine Coach Association member helps as we all share info and many members own spare VMMs. Plus, you have a huge group of Alpine owners to share info with face-to-face. alpinecoachassociation.com
Free2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems