Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #1

Convection/Microwave

My Sharp unit has passed on. I almost made the mistake of buying a Kenmore but luckily read the install manual and saw it required bolts through the upper cabinet. I seem to remember that Alpine switched to another manufacturer. If so, what was it ? Or, does anyone know of a unit that does not need to bolt vertically ?
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chris and Debi
I am a kitchen cabinet installer and I probably install 75 or so over the range (OTR) a year, all makes. I have never seen one that does not require bolts through the upper cabinets. Hope this helps in your search.
bigstonebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris cross View Post
My Sharp unit has passed on. I almost made the mistake of buying a Kenmore but luckily read the install manual and saw it required bolts through the upper cabinet. I seem to remember that Alpine switched to another manufacturer. If so, what was it ? Or, does anyone know of a unit that does not need to bolt vertically ?
Thanks
Have you looked at your Sharp? Mine required bolts through the upper cabinet and I can't imagine trying to keep one in place that did not have them.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Chris,

Have you taken your Microwave down and looked at how it was installed? That will tell you what you need and the measurements for where the holes were drilled before.

For those not familiar with Alpines, the microwave in ours (and I'm sure others) doesn't attached to an upper cabinet because there is no cabinet above it, just the top of the slide out. I'm assuming that there is blocking above the microwave so that screws can be used. The previous owner replaced the microwave/connvection oven in ours with a Dometic one.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #5

Some brands of MWs hang exclusively from a mounting plate on the back wall--no top bolts; while others use long bolts angled thru the top. Cant say which is which by mw brand in the Alpines.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #6

Thank you all-After three days on-line I was able to find a new Sharp 1880 Microwave/convection oven. For your edification, Bigstonebay this model Sharp as well as the 1870-71-72-73 and 74 all mount to the back wall with no overhead bolts as barbaraok and Old Scout detailed.
Now Mr. Bill Adams. If you had an Alpline instead of a Prevost you would find the ride so smooth that ....
As an aside to everyone, when Debi was searching on her computer she found a Sharp 1880ls on ebay for $300. At the same time, I found a 1872 at an online store in New Jersey. We just picked up and installed the ebay item a few minutes ago. Works great. The 1872 from New Jersey will be delivered in 7 days. It's always good to have a backup.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris cross View Post
Thank you all-After three days on-line I was able to find a new Sharp 1880 Microwave/convection oven. For your edification, Bigstonebay this model Sharp as well as the 1870-71-72-73 and 74 all mount to the back wall with no overhead bolts as barbaraok and Old Scout detailed.
Now Mr. Bill Adams. If you had an Alpline instead of a Prevost you would find the ride so smooth that ....
As an aside to everyone, when Debi was searching on her computer she found a Sharp 1880ls on ebay for $300. At the same time, I found a 1872 at an online store in New Jersey. We just picked up and installed the ebay item a few minutes ago. Works great. The 1872 from New Jersey will be delivered in 7 days. It's always good to have a backup.
Thanks for the info. In all the years I've done this I haven't seen one. It's always a great day when you learn something new. I will have to check it out, might come in handy for some designs. Thanks
bigstonebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #8

Woops:!!! Debi found the new, in the box, 1880 ls on Craigs List, not e-Bay. I'm not sure why she wanted this correction made. But ok honey.