Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
The analysis I had done on a sample before I bought it identified it as that, which matches up. Cummins engine coolant that’s blue in color with DCA in it.

Thanks for the input on where to look. Did yours leak from the same place as the Alpines do?
Mine was leaking from a seam where it was soldered to the tank ends. Now it is a bolt together with updated rubber mounts. Mine before I start my serge tank will be about 1/2 full (5+gallon tank) then when it is running it's full. Get a new cap also, because you need pressure to make things work right. Then if you have to get a new radiator change out the t/stat, one of mine was broken with only 25K miles.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #16

Just spoke with Ray a few minutes ago--yes, OEM radiator was replace sometime in 2008 or 2009 due to a leak. It was replaced by the "upgraded" radiator recommended by WRV. If the upgraded model is soldered, it may be repairable but R&R will still be pricy. Could also be that the leak is the result of exterior corrosion or structural failure.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Just spoke with Ray a few minutes ago--yes, OEM radiator was replace sometime in 2008 or 2009 due to a leak. It was replaced by the "upgraded" radiator recommended by WRV. If the upgraded model is soldered, it may be repairable but R&R will still be pricy. Could also be that the leak is the result of exterior corrosion or structural failure.....
Dean,

Thanks for taking the time to follow up with Ray. I'm going to start with replacing the radiator cap (went and picked up one from Napa at lunch) that shows like some escaped (blue caking around it) through there. Is it normal, under hot and heavy conditions, to lose enough coolant through a faulty radiator cap to give me a low coolant level?

I have a small plastic tank that is mounted below the surge tank with the overflow tube attached to it. I would need to add coolant directly through the surge tank, correct?

I plan to watch the radiator itself very closely. If I still see some evidence, I'll pay to have a shop run a pressure test. That's great news about the probable repair vice replace.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #18

I have had slight coolant losses over time. Each time when I replaced the cap, the issue went away for years. I was never able to figure out what was wrong with the cap. With other vehicles, it was usually the thin brass sealing ring that would crack. I always carry a spare, just because.

One of the ways I check my fluid level in the tank is to use a vinyl hose and stick it in the tank. I hold a finger at the end of the hose to trap the fluid and some other fingers at the inlet; then pull the tube out and compare the fluid level in the hose to the window.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #19

….assuming the coolant level sensor is working correctly, you should have the advantage of depending on a functioning sensor to keep you advised on proper coolant level. Without a functioning sensor, you would have to consider that the "expansion" tank [not the after-market plastic tank below] should be fairly full when engine is at ops temp and fairly empty when at ambient temp. Said another way, with a properly functioning level sensor, you shouldn't need the plastic "overflow" tank. Also, a common problem for owners is to check and fill the expansion tank at ambient temp vs only checking the tank when engine is at ops temp--doing so insures you will overfill the expansion tank!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #20

Once the proper level is established, let things cool overnight, remove the cap and establish a “cold fill level” with a dowel rod or tube in the reservoir.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #21

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how low the coolant level would have to be to get a low coolant alarm? Trying to debate if I should buy more than the 3 gallons I ordered.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:16 PM   #22

This is just a guess. With a capacity of +/- 13 gallons, being 1-2 gallons low may set off a low coolant indicator.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:04 AM   #23

...believe on your model ....there is a fluid level sensor on the back side of the tank....my guess is that once the sensor is exposed to air, or perhaps after a specified period of time of exposure, or perhaps not...think that would be your low coolant level point.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 02-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
I don't think we have a low coolant sensor on our 06, or if we do it has failed.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak