Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #43

My Tiffin Breeze does this when the air dryer needs serviced.
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #44

Lift Pump O-Ring behind accordion prime button leaking

Had the identical symptoms as you...diesel on breather tube and the back of my slide-in. The problem can be intermittent but mine was csused by a bad lift pump O-Ring behind the accordion primer button. I had a 12V cummins in a 97 Ram 3500.

The problem first showed up as quarter sized spots of oil on my garage floor. It was under warranty and after several visits to the dealer with no luck, I gave up. On my way to Maine, stooped at a rest area and saw oil all over the back of my slide in. Popped the hoid and intermittently saw diesel shoot out from under the accordion primer button. Dealer in.Maine replaced the entire lift pump but it was simply a bad O-Ring.

Hope this helps....
Packed2go
Packed2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #45

It does from the picture on the first page of the thread look like the slobber tube is venting so you would want to verify that the crankcase ventilator valve is not stuck and the hose between it and the air intake is not pinched or collapsed. If they overfilled the crankcase this could cause a problem too especially if you were climbing and descending steeper hills than you normally have been just before you noticed this.

On my diesel car the flapper in the vent valve does require cleaning from time to time however that is a 1980 ISUZU 4FB1 1.8L diesel with an Overhead Cam and a Turbo with close to 500,000 miles on it that has been transplanted into a little Fiat Spider Convertible. Despite the age and miles on the engine that level of slobber does not occur unless the vent valve is not opening to prevent pressure from building up in the crankcase. If the flapper in the vent valve sticks in the closed position it will blow oil out the dipstick tube as there is no separate slobber tube on that engine.

Yes there was a bit of a learning curve on the diesels especially on the old school diesel I have with the mechanical injectors using a belt driven timing pump instead of the newer computer operated systems. One thing I have learned is to add some Dexron 1 or 2 transmission fluid or Marvel Mystery oil to the fuel filter at every oil change to keep the distributor pump cleaned and lubricated. So far Low Sulfur Diesel has not been a problem with the 40 year old mechanical system. I am not sure if the newer computer controlled systems will similarly be benefited.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:52 AM   #46

oil back of coach

My coach had same problem ended up changing dip stick tube had small hole inch or 2 before entering block after changing problem went away
Herb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:31 AM   #47

It's a diesel leak. Had the same thing happen on my first DP. It turned out that there was a pin hole leak in one of the injectors and it was spraying fuel all over the back of the rig and covered my toad. Worst part was was paying for the repairs. $50.00 for the part, $950 labor. It took them 2 days to fix.
chuckie0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:57 AM   #48

We had the following happen to us on our Suburban some years ago...
An oil drip can cause this to happen (maybe diesel fuel drips also). Whatever drips hits the pavement at speed and immediately turns into a spray. That spray "floats" long enough to get on the underside, and get swept to the rear. It ends up coating the rear and then simple dust sticks to it turning it into a blackish, oily, mess - just like you show.

I'm not gonna guess what the answer might be, but I will suggest a way that may help identify the source.
Get back under it, look for anything with a drop of oil hanging from it; that could be the culprit.
Also, look for where the oily mess starts, the drip would be forward of it.
In the case of our Suburban, it was a failed front transmission seal that was dripping every 6-10 seconds. In a couple of hours the rear end was a mess.
Hope you find it!!
JorgeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:12 AM   #49

We had the same sort of thing happen coming down I-5 into Bakersfield two years ago. Found the oil filter had come loose and oil was everywhere. The engine wasn’t that oily though. The back was black and road grime. The toad was oily (and 6 months old). The bicycles were oily too. Took it to a truck stop and the 3 amigos got it over the pit and tightened up the filter. Five minutes. I gave them a $100 bill and a Felice Navidad. Cleaning took a couple of rounds of pressure wash and Purple Power.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
A few years back we had a similar problem pop up. To make a long story short. It turned out to be 1 bad injector and 2 "weak" ones. Replaced all the injectors and back to a "clean" back wall and toad.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:57 AM   #51

Thanks Kountry Star and everyone else.
Since I know nothing about diesels, all your suggestions will let me seem semi-intelligent when I take it in for service.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #52

Yes, LOTS of thing can cause this.

But, our guessing means very little compared with:

Verifying correct engine oil level, hydraulic oil level

Cleaning the bottom of the engine and installing catch container under the crankcase breather (quart plastic container holes for air escape and a couple of zip ties) and THEN

Driving and checking for new leaks.

Please update us on which of the many, many potential leaks or perhaps just crankcase over-filling caused this.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #53

Finally put drool bucket under breather tube.
Drove around town (not a real highway test) and so far so good.
To reiterate: fresh oil level is top of hash marks, there are no other leaks anywhere under the coach from any part of engine or transmission. No hydraulic leaks.
I will provide an update once I get on the highway.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #54

6-week update:

My zip-tied slobber bottle on the breather tube is empty. No additional drips.

That means (luckily), from all the possibilities you guys suggested, it was either too much oil when cummins refilled it, or it was because I went close to 70mph at a certain point just before the problem occurred.
So, in my case, case closed.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
6-week update:

My zip-tied slobber bottle on the breather tube is empty. No additional drips.

That means (luckily), from all the possibilities you guys suggested, it was either too much oil when cummins refilled it, or it was because I went close to 70mph at a certain point just before the problem occurred.
So, in my case, case closed.
Driven through the rain again?

I agree with the folks that think it looks like bad road grime. If a highway is dry for months, then gets a good soaking, your vehicle can become a mess when all that stuff loosens up and starts flying.

It sounds like you've ruled out the other causes, so I wouldn't worry about it. Granted, I drive across deserts with a leaking radiator, so my advise is probably worth less than you paid for it.

Just keep checking all those fluids.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover