Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #29

Those photos are great, not only for Alpines, but as a general view of how the slide opening is built in other coaches as well.

It seems that the first photo shows a gap between the horizontal beam of the slide opening and the vertical beam. That is the place you had welded. Did you add a gusset, it looks like you did?

That tiny movement you could cause in the top beam would likely be amplified during travel, slide extension/retraction, and even leveling.

Thanks for the update and pictures, they will help many others with similar cracks. Let us see the final repair/painting of the skin when it's complete, please.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2021, 04:25 PM   #30

Just looking over my coach I have a crack in the same corner of the slide but its about 1/2" and one in the corner below the right tail lamp on the rear cap
Old 09-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Those photos are great, not only for Alpines, but as a general view of how the slide opening is built in other coaches as well.

It seems that the first photo shows a gap between the horizontal beam of the slide opening and the vertical beam. That is the place you had welded. Did you add a gusset, it looks like you did?

That tiny movement you could cause in the top beam would likely be amplified during travel, slide extension/retraction, and even leveling.

Thanks for the update and pictures, they will help many others with similar cracks. Let us see the final repair/painting of the skin when it's complete, please.

1st to the photos. How do I get them to upload properly. They keep ending rotated.

Yes there was a split in the horizontal beam, but that seems to be the way they made the weld. The horizontal beams that runs along the bus where the vertical bean ends is also just tacked in the corners. There is no weld where in the front of the intersection.

Nonetheless, we added a gusset and closed the seam. Let’s hope it works. Today I reattached the panel and tomorrow I will start refiberglassing the cuts. More pics to come.
Ernieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, so the fiberglass work is done. I am leaving Oregon tomorrow and it will take me 6 days to get home. Let’s see if the repair holds, before I paint it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86639E17-E08D-4E32-9106-E5B43F92C505.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	341900  
Old 09-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #33

I've fixed a few spots on my coach where the fiber glass was cracked. I always used some fiberglass cloth and epoxy to bridge the crack. It doesn't look like you did this. I hope you way works. Give us the step you used to repair the wall.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:10 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I've fixed a few spots on my coach where the fiber glass was cracked. I always used some fiberglass cloth and epoxy to bridge the crack. It doesn't look like you did this. I hope you way works. Give us the step you used to repair the wall.
So what I did:
-epoxied the panel back to the bus, making sure I got epoxy under the fiberglass that was not cut as well
-filled the cut with fiberglass putty (can't remember what that is called)
-overlapped the cut about 1" with fiberglass cloth 3 times, getting wider each time
-sanded

to date, we traveled approx 2000 miles with 7 stops and the crack has help along with the repair. This week I am going to find paint shop that can paint the repair.