Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2007, 05:17 AM   #1

I am new to the forum with a new 2006 Apex. The problem I am having is that after the engine warms up and I come to a stop, to retart movement is REALLY slow. After it starts going, it picks up speed and appears to be functioning normally. With this slow takeoff, it makes one really hesitant to pull out into traffic. My Coach was at a Cummings Distributor for 5 days and they could not fix the problem. Has or does anyone else out there have this problem? Have you got a fix.

Thanks,

Joe Brunold
Joe  Brunold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:17 AM   #2

I am new to the forum with a new 2006 Apex. The problem I am having is that after the engine warms up and I come to a stop, to retart movement is REALLY slow. After it starts going, it picks up speed and appears to be functioning normally. With this slow takeoff, it makes one really hesitant to pull out into traffic. My Coach was at a Cummings Distributor for 5 days and they could not fix the problem. Has or does anyone else out there have this problem? Have you got a fix.

Thanks,

Joe Brunold
Joe  Brunold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #3

Joe,
welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Apex.

I dont have a solution for you or a recommendation but just wanted to welcome you. Hope to see you at one of the rallies... we are on our way to the Newport Rally and hope to see our many friends there
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #4

Joe,

I certainly haven't had this problem, but I have a few thoughts for what they're worth--

First, have you had a big diesel pusher before or are you coming from gas? Reason I asked is it takes a little longer to build up torque than with a gas engine, but the torque is a lot more and lasts longer once you get going. So it's not as quick off the line as a gas engine, and that might be a contributing factor.

Second, is your turbo boosting as it should? Look at your boost guage on your Silverleaf and see if you build boost pressure relatively quickly as you push on the throttle. There's a little bit of turbo lag but it should build boost pressure relatively quickly, and you need that boost to get you going, especially if you're heavy.

Third, have you tried starting with the transmission not in economy mode? It won't upshift as fast when it's not in economy mode.

Finally, are you sure your transmission is starting if first gear? Look at the Silverleaf in "Drive" mode and see if you see a "6 1" and not a "6 2" or "6 3", so that it's starting in 1st and not 2nd or 3rd gear. As an alternative, manually shift down to 1st gear with the Allison selector and start out and see if it gets going faster until you upshift manually. That will give you a feeling of whether it's really getting all the way down to first gear.

Those are some ideas, which you've probably already checked out, but they're all I can think of at this time, short of some bad diesel that for some reason has a low cetane rating and may need a can of cetane boost to get it going.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote