Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #1

Cummis ICS TPS question

I have a 2003 Apline 36' FDDS with a Cummins ISC 350 hp. I have a "ScanGuage" to monitor everything.
I have been having some lack of power issues, the ScanGuage is only showing a maximum of 235-240 HP, and it really feels underpowered.
As i scrolled through the settings on the ScanGuage I noticed the TPS was "0". it didn't matter if the throttle was at idle or full throttle, the ScanGuage never changed from "0".
Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to help a newbie.

later, Jeff.
gnjeff.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have the same year and model coach and engine.
I do not have the scanner.
Soon after I bought my coach (on the drive home) I noticed the power was dropping. I pulled into a parts house and changed the fuel filter.
This took care of the issue immediately. I have since changed all other filters as I work through a maintenance list.
Hope this helps.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #3

Steve,
After the recent discussion about the multiple fuel filters on the early Alpine/Cummins; I have to ask:

Which fuel filter did you change to get immediate restoration of engine power-

The easily accessible fuel/water separator or the smaller engine mounted fuel filter above the starter.

Thanks for the info.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The HP output you see is calculated from several factors and has no relation to the real world. The only way to get real world hp info is on a dyno. What you are seeing us just programmed into the scangauge.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
The easily accessible in the service bay.
I have a second thought regarding the scanner:
I am wondering if the TPS reading may be an indication of a problem relating to the power issue. You might want to look into the cause of the low reading. Possibly a wire connection or tps trouble?
Old 10-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #6

When you change fuel filters, always change BOTH. The primary (easy to access) is between 10 and 30 micron (catches larger contaminants) and the secondary (on the engine) is much finer (usually 3-5 micron, but specs vary by engine/fuel injection system).

You are only guessing as to which is more clogged up.

If the contaminants are large or water, the primary will be compromised. If very fine contaminants, the secondary filter will be compromised.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
If your TPS is not working at all as the ScanGauge seems to be telling you with a "0" reading then the engine should have a diagnostic error code stored. Your ScanGauge or Silverleaf can read those codes. If there are no codes then it is just a ScanGauge issue. My ScanGauge puts out some nonsense data at times.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
It fixed the immediate problem.
As I said in my first response I have since gone on to perform maintenance which included the secondary.
Thanks
Old 10-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
All - Argue if you will, but here is how I treat my fuel system. First, I only stop a major truck stops for fuel, where the turnover is very high, YES, price is a little higher than at Kroger, or other places. I have used the local Murphy station with no adverse effects. I put Power Service fuel treatment in the fuel tank every third fill up, and if I know I am laying over for two weeks or longer, I put another quart in before that. This is especially true it I know we are staying someplace for months. I always fill the fuel tank before we stop for the evening, you never know about emergencies. I never let the gauge get below 1/2 empty (or full depending on your perspective) that usually is a 350-400 mile day. I plan my route with a map, backed up with a GPS (Magellan 9365-LM-Good Sam-Pilot-Flying J-built in). I carry maps because GPS are notoriously unreliable. I use the Good Sam Large Print Version which shows truck routs in orange, and has low bridges listed by state. Treating the fuel has kept my coach error free for the 10 years I have owned it. Now you can disagree, your call.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #10

I am pretty sure the problem is with the TPS. I have already done the fuel filter and air filter within the last month.

My question now is, what "should" the TPS numbers be at both idle and full throttle?
gnjeff.t is offline   Reply With Quote