Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #1

Curious ,what tire pressure you’re running.

We just purchased a 34FDDS and it has brand new tires on it. The specs on the side of the tire say 120 pounds at the original owner only has 95 pounds in them. Just wondering if this is acceptable, are they too low or are they sit this way with the intentions that when the tires warm up they may get to 120 pounds.
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a sticker in the RV, probably beside the driver's seat, that says what the tire pressure should be - do that.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
There is a sticker in the RV, probably beside the driver's seat, that says what the tire pressure should be - do that.

Please tell us what tires you have: Brand, size and age (from last 4 digits of full DOT #).

That is correct, IF (yes big IF) each axle is loaded to its GAWR. If well under that weight, you could be over-inflated.

And the sidewall of the tire gives the PSI needed to carry the maximum load which is also listed on the side wall. It may be well more than GAWR or actual weight.

You need to weigh the coach when loaded as you will travel and use your tire manufacturer's Inflation Table to determine the correct minimum PSI. Add 5-10 PSI to that minimum as a safety reserve.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:41 AM   #4

There 2013 Toyo’s with less than 1000 miles on them. There all set to 95 cold, sidewall says 120. No sticker at drivers area.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMac View Post
There 2013 Toyo’s with less than 1000 miles on them. There all set to 95 cold, sidewall says 120. No sticker at drivers area.

So, they are now 9 years old? Time to replace irrespective of tread depth.

And, you did not mention what size they are. Someone else with the same size tire and weight of coach could possibly give you a ballpark until you weigh it.

You will have a GVWR sticker somewhere-- Federal law.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:51 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Curious ,what tire pressure you’re running.

Quote:

Brand new tires ????? If they are indeed 2013 manufactured date, it’s time to replace them my friend !!

If you don’t, you are very much gambling with a blowout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9851.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	354436
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:06 AM   #7

Sorry, I mis spoke. They are indeed 9 years old.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Get them replaced with new tires. They are 9 years old.

Weigh the coach and adjust the tire pressures according to the tire manufacturers load/pressure chart. Air to 5 PSIG over the recommended pressure when cold, but do not exceed maximum tire pressure as stamped on tire sidewall.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Toyo has a chart and you can look it up based on the weight. The 120 is the max pressure at cold (not driven ....not "cold" ) for the max weight it will carry. many Rv's run around 95 based on the weight. I would guess the prior owner set them at that for ride quality based on weight but you should check them personally .
Sadly it sounds like you were unaware 9 year old tires on your new to you coach should be replaced irregardless of miles. Hope you got it priced accordingly and the prior owner/dealer didn't deceive you with "great" tires. I also have 8 year old Toyos dated late 14 (Very good tires btw) that will be replaced before we leave FL this year. A little over 50,000 miles and they still "look" great. I have a tag axle so need 8 it will be a 5 grand project for me.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Toyo has a chart and you can look it up based on the weight. The 120 is the max pressure at cold (not driven ....not "cold" ) for the max weight it will carry. many Rv's run around 95 based on the weight. I would guess the prior owner set them at that for ride quality based on weight but you should check them personally .
Sadly it sounds like you were unaware 9 year old tires on your new to you coach should be replaced irregardless of miles. Hope you got it priced accordingly and the prior owner/dealer didn't deceive you with "great" tires. I also have 8 year old Toyos dated late 14 (Very good tires btw) that will be replaced before we leave FL this year. A little over 50,000 miles and they still "look" great. I have a tag axle so need 8 it will be a 5 grand project for me.
Thank Bill,

We did get it right, previous original owner was a family friend and retired navy fighter pilot and licensed airframe inspector. To say he maintained this to a T is an understatement and kept it stored in his personal aircraft hanger. Even have his log with every mile driven and to where. I have seven black binder files that are impeccable and well documented. Just what you’d expect from a pilot. Picture is just two of the seven I have.

Appreciate the info, safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B8141CAA-8639-411A-B0D2-16A93BDDBC6A.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	354459  
Old 01-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #11

Different year Alpines had different axle ratings. What year is your coach?

It is likely that your 34’ will be much lighter than a 40’ with the same axle ratings. A good starting point is to use the axle ratings to determine tire pressure. Our 36’ is about 3000lbs below GVWR when loaded for travel. Did the pilot ever weigh the coach? Knowing axle weights, or four corner weights will allow you to make the most informed decision. You will probably not need, or want, to run the same pressure on both axles.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:05 PM   #12

Going from memory (a scary thing), look for the GVWR plaque in the "nose" next to the fuel fill.

Let us know:

Front axle GAWR
Rear axle GAWR

Recommended tire (size) and PSI for each.

That will at least give you a starting point unless you can find that the previous owner weighed it (which sounds likely given your description of him) OR until you can weigh it.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #13

My 2007 Alpine has the GAWR on the inside of one of the kitchen cabinet doors. It has the bogus tire pressure's inside the nose. I think 120 front & 110 rear?
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #14

As Wolfe10 noted,
The sticker is above the fuel fill area, visible with the generator slide open. At least thats where it is on my 2002 34FDDS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tires.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	354469  

Tags
tire, tire pressure