Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #1

Cutting a hole in the kitchen counter top

I am replacing the kitchen sink faucet but the hole is to small so I need to enlarge the hole. Has anyone done this before and if so what type of cutting device did you use?

Larry
40' MDTS
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4us View Post
I am replacing the kitchen sink faucet but the hole is to small so I need to enlarge the hole. Has anyone done this before and if so what type of cutting device did you use?

Larry
40' MDTS
Can't say I've used one on a kitchen counter, but the first thing that comes to mind is my hole saw attachment for my 3/8" drill, with different diameter blades.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
The hole saw would be great, and my first choice also, if a circular cut will do the job. But if you need an oblong hole, you might have to make two or three cuts with the hole saw to create an oblong, still the best choice.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #4

A Hand Drill & Hole Saw would be the logical first choice for cutting an initial hole, but it will present a significant problem trying to enlarge an existing hole with this method. The hole saw depends on its pilot bit to keep hole saw centered but with an existing hole the pilot bit has nothing to bite into to keep the saw from wandering all over the place. If you can figure a way to clamp some scrap material under existing hole and lengthen pilot bit to bite into the scrap material before saw teeth engage counter top then it will be pretty much the same as hole sawing an initial hole. Either that or some type of drill press anchored so that the hole saw does not wander all over the place & tear up the counter top. Also, depending on size of hole, may need a hand drill with1/2” chuck.
I used a hole saw to allow installation of soap dispensers in both bathroom vanities and had no problem. But both of these were initial holes. I would recommend using a quality hole saw, not one of the El Cheapos.
BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #5

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
DO NOT TRY TO USE A HOLE SAW TO ENLARGE AN EXISTING HOLE!!!!!!! A hole saw has a small bit in the middle to center the hole and control the cutting action.

Some years ago back in Wichita, my wife bugged me about putting a deadbolt in the door to the garage. "Ok, I will get to it when all my other honeydos are done." Not satisified with this answer, she did it herself while I was at work. She had seen me drill a hole and then enlarge it to the proper size with the next size bit. So, she drilled a hole with a hole saw and then attempted to enlarge it with the next size hole saw. Being unable to center the second bit, she gouged the Hell out of the solid core oak door. It took her most of the day to repair the damage while our daughter and her friends were dividing up her things knowing that I was going to kill her.

If the new diameter is not much larger than the original hole, I would file it out with a rat tail file or a Dremel tool.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #6

Take the appropriate hole saw for the existing hole & cut some cheater slugs from 3/4 or so plywood, glue two or three of them together making a cylinder w/a pilot hole.
Slip the cylinder over the pilot point for the new hole size saw, to use the cylinder as the new pilot. You may want to wrap the cylinder w/a shim of vinyl or sheet metal flashing material to make up for the kerf of the original hole saw for a perfectly clean hole cut, or maybe the cylinder's imperfection will be covered by the new fixture bezel.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
In exact negative to eMike's idea, I just cut the new size hole in a piece of plywood (1/2" or more) then cut the plywood to fit up against the back wall, centering it where I want the new hole. I then use the holesaw again, working slowly to first score, then continue down into the countertop. You can just hold this "jig" until you are about 1/8" into the countertop. Then remove the jig and continue the cut.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:41 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tool to use for a clean cut is a RotoZip
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:57 AM   #9

A roto zip or a round sanding drum close to the original hole size. If the new hole is to be quite a bit bigger. Glue a piece of 3/8" plywood over the existing hole, (BOTH SIDES)GLUE A PLUG IN THE EXISTING HOLE and go at it with a PROPER SIZED holesaw, VERY CAREFULLY.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #10

jig saw

i've been installing cabinets and tops for about 25 years now, use a jig saw, just make sure you mark you're lines in the right place, all cuts should be inside/under the cover. you also may want to cover the bottom of the jig saw foot/pad with masking tape so you don't scratch the top.

as they say, measure twice and cut once. i can also say that i have gone to drop a non-standard sink in a hole i cut and it went all the way to the floor. no fun to replace a whole top just because you didn't take your time.

a Roto-Zip will do the same thing but they tend to want to runout, i'd use a jig to make sure that didn't happen.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
As long as it is a round hole, I have had success by installing a hole saw, the size of the hole you have, inside of a larger hole saw, the size needed. This will only work if they will both mount on the same mandrel. The smaller hole saw sticks out farther then the larger one and will hold the larger one in place like the drill on the mandrel will do for a normal cut. If done this way, be very cautious while starting the hole. The smaller hole saw does not stick out very far and can allow the larger saw jump out of its cut until it has cut into the counter.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote