Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Dash Air Hose/Dash Instrument Speaker

Well, we were minding our own business, driving through Southern Minnesota when a fairly loud bang got my attention. Air started coming out of the dash, the speedometer screen indicated low air in the suspension system and the dash speaker started making noises. Pulled over and took the instrument cluster off the dash and found an air hose flopping in the breeze. Located two connectors that may of had the hose in them, took my best guess and re-installed the hose. Fixed the air leak, however I still have a noisy dash speaker with an indication of low suspension air (of course the suspension air is fine). This brings up the following questions.
1) Does anyone know which air socket in the dash the hose is suppose to go in (if it makes a difference)?
2) How do you remove the hose, once it is installed (other than driving the roads of Minnesota until it decides to come out on its own).
3) And most important, does anyone know how to temporarily disconnect the dash speaker?

Ken Tarkin
2005 34' Alpine
Ken T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Ken,

I'm surprised that nobody has replied. I can't help as I haven't had any air problems behind the dash so I've never looked at air connections there. I have got some experience with the 'dash speaker' though.

Our 'dash speaker' or 'warning buzzer' quit working. And I never could find it to replace it. I did, however, have occasion to take the dash apart and look for the wiring for the buzzer so that I could add a new buzzer.

On our 2004, we've got a long rectangular cluster of warning lights. On the back of that, there are 3 connectors, each for many wire connections. One of those wires is marked 'buzzer' as I recall. In our case, I wanted to add another buzzer to connect to that wire. In your case, I'm sure that the best fix is to fix the air leak problem and the noise will go away. Or, as a temporary fix, you could probably cut that wire to eliminate the noise.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #3

Mike and Mike,
thanks for the reply. On my 2005 the noise maker is in the speedometer and I cannot identify the wire that controls it. On my dash I have two separate clusters of warning lights and the air hose is located on the bottom cluster. I have just about decided that when the air hose blew off, the air pressure switch in that bottom cluster failed. My interim fix has been to disconnect the bottom cluster until I can find the wire from that cluster that goes to the pressure switch. This is hard to do since I cannot get the air hose off without cutting it (and I do not want to do that).
Ken
Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #4

Watch this video on how to remove the hose.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #5

Wayne,
Thanks for the video. In this case pushing the little fitting does not release the hose.
Ken
Old 08-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Which connection does make a difference. Are they labeled? Mine were. In my case the actual connector was cracked at the base (where it met the "flat" of the housing) It was caused because the hose was too short and entered at a slight diagonal, putting a strain on the connector & housing. The bad news was the housing, with its lights had to be replaced and I added an additional piece of hose off an ell(90 degree) connector. No problem since.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #7

I've removed the air house from the little sockets using the process in the video several times. Don't bend the socket on its base or you can crack it like Zinom's.
The hose can get a ridge in it from the grabber in the socket, so that it gets harder to remove. To avoid that on the next insertion, cut a short piece of so the grabber hits the tube at a different spot. If there is enough tube you can simple re-insert. If the tube is short, add a union connector & short piece of new tube.
Then insert in the other socket & see if that cures the alarm.

Tags
dash, dash air