Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

Dead Dash

Posting for my neighbor who has an identical coach.

He went to start his coach and there were no dash lights. Period. No sequence of system checks appeared. The coach, however, starts and runs and the transmission panel is functioning. No gauges work, including the tach and fuel gauge. Turn signal lights do function with the blinker or turn stalk.

What's been checked:

Both Vancos are lit with no error codes.
He has a BlueFire module plugged into his front data port. It is failing to report any data though it is showing to be "connected" (which I take to mean connected to his bluetooth device.)
He moved the BlueFire to the rear data port with the same results.

I'm suspecting a fault of some type between the ECM and the the rest of the systems.

Anyone have a similar experience, regardless of having a Vansco system or not?

I'm puzzled that there could be no data going to the dash or data ports yet the coach will start, run, and drive.

Any suggestions will be passe on to him and truly appreciated.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
What happened to the coach since it was working correctly? Has it been sitting or worked on? Is the Bluefire new?
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
What happened to the coach since it was working correctly? Has it been sitting or worked on? Is the Bluefire new?
Nothing new happened to the coach since last use, and the Bluefire has been installed and used for months.

Update:

He contacted Engineer Mike, and to make a long story short, the main focus is on the VDM since that is what "translates" all engine data into a usable form for the gauges and dash.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #4

I need a acronym refresher course. Can you spell out VDM please?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I think it is VDC or vehicle data computer. ‘04 was somewhat of a transition year that used Vansco but not the Actia gages yet. Sounds like the right guy for the job is on it though.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Check batteries. Could be bad batteries. Dead cell maybe.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
I need a acronym refresher course. Can you spell out VDM please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
I think it is VDC or vehicle data computer. ‘04 was somewhat of a transition year that used Vansco but not the Actia gages yet. Sounds like the right guy for the job is on it though.
I’m relaying the information I heard, and it could be VDC, as mentioned, or VDM for Vehicle Data Module?

Both our coaches are 2004, both have Vansco, both have Actia gauges, and both have a data translator module, whatever its correct name may be. Yes, Mike is the man for the job

Is the VDC on a 2004 located on the engine side of the left bulkhead of battery compartment? If so, what is the black box on the right side bulkhead, next to the Vansco?
Old 07-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #8

Dead Dash

I have experienced many dead dash situations. No gauges,wipers,overhead fans ,etc. I think I have a bad relay, because if I repeatedly turn the ignition key on and off , it will come back alive. Once I had to slam the front door to get it to come alive, but only once. There are many relays in the fuse blocks. I have replaced the small ones but have not sourced the big ones yet. I haven't solved the problem yet but it occurs less frequently now. Good luck
Fun Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bus View Post
I have experienced many dead dash situations. No gauges,wipers,overhead fans ,etc. I think I have a bad relay, because if I repeatedly turn the ignition key on and off , it will come back alive. Once I had to slam the front door to get it to come alive, but only once. There are many relays in the fuse blocks. I have replaced the small ones but have not sourced the big ones yet. I haven't solved the problem yet but it occurs less frequently now. Good luck
Thanks. The problem only involves the dash warning panel and gauges. All other chassis items like wipers, fans, etc. are working.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Dead Dash - update

Larry et al, thank you for reaching out to the forum participants and for all of the helpful comments. Update — spoke to Engineer Mike and followed his instructions to the tee and the dash light bar is now working. I took his sage advice and before ripping things apart did an extensive cleaning (used an entire can of electrical contact cleaner and air dried everything) and checked/rechecked the connections of all of the plugs in the battery bay. I also cleaned and tightened each of the battery connections and the good news is that everything is now working perfectly. I may have a loose connection somewhere in or around the VDC box/VANSCO but for now I’m leaving well enough alone. IT’S awake and WORKING! Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #11

Max reported grungy conditions on the VDC from an HWH leak on the synchro cylinder above the rear VMM (and hydraulic line hovering over the VDC which is inboard of rear VMM on same bulkhead as VMM).
These connectors have a spongy mini-waffle pattern seal on the wire side of connector typically called weather-pack type connectors in the chassis wiring industry. The wires poke thru the spongy seal and have a crimped pin on the inside of the connector. If you leak enough oil on these connectors (VMM or VDC) you can get a mini leak-thru to the business end inside the connector and create a constant low amp connection between pins. The only way to clean these is to inundate BOTH sides of the connector with contact cleaner multiple times, wire side & pin side. I hold the connector up & spray cleaner down in till its full, then shake it out & blow it dry w/compressed air (one of those computer dust blower spray cans works fine and you should always have one on board). Then turn connector pins-down & spray cleaner down into the wire side till its running out, blow dry. Repeat 3X total on both sides. One fella did this once, still had his electrical problem and was going to head into a service outfit, but I told him repeat 2 more times just for fun, and he cured his headache.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
having very similar issues in my 2000 36FDS - Can you clarify where these items are located? Im brand new and learning the acronyms still.
Noblesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblesville View Post
having very similar issues in my 2000 36FDS - Can you clarify where these items are located? Im brand new and learning the acronyms still.
Our 2000 models do not utilize the Vansco modules or VDC, or any type of multiplexing for the dash gauges.
First place to check is the fuse panel area by the entry steps.
Ours had a loose ground stud connection causing all sorts of trouble with the dash, specifically the tachometer and cruise control.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #14

I had a no-dash-lights issue when I picked up my alpine and drove it away.
Didn't find out until it was dark and I was over 3 hours from dealer.
I checked all the fuses and they were good.
There are three plugs that go into the back of the dash light controls. Turned out one of the connectors in one of the plugs was bent out of the way. I guess someone has dismantled it for some reason and jammed it back together in a hurry.
The shroud around my steering column is missing some screws as well...so I figure someone was really digging around under the dash before I bought it.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash