Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Diesel burner switch

Hi all,

I noticed some white smoke at rear of coach after I turned on diesel burner...
when I went to turn diesel burner on again the next day the green light goes out after a minute or so.. any ideas what is happening and what I need to fix it.. getting colder tonight.

Thanks to all

36 ft Alpine fdds
scorpodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #2

Professional advice is available for FREE for the DIYer online at: Roger Berke: RV Hydronic Heater Repair: RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home
Old 10-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
When the diesel burner light goes off after turning on. There is a fault and it is locked off. This happens when it attempts to ignite the diesel burner and it fails. There are many things that can cause a failure to ignite.

To reset and try again turn the switch off and back on. If it keeps failing I would start with the basic maintenance…cleaning, filter, nozzle and adjust spark igniter.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
All - Its been a while since I serviced mine, however, we rarely use the DB part. The Government mandated ULSD Fuel in 2012 I think, and sulfur was reduced to 15PPM or less. That cleaned up a significant problem with the HH DB's needing to be serviced every other year or so. If you turned off the switch prior to the burner going inactive and running the cool down cycle (Fan noise, with air flow cooling down out of exhaust pipe), then fuel is/was still present in combustion chamber and will cause lots of black or white smoke next time you start unit. If you have not used it in a while, it will most likely need to be turned off and on a couple of times since fuel has evaporated or drained out of the line a tad bit. This happened to me the other day, and a little smoke as well. Still it's been 4 years and it's time to service it. Suggest you download the manual from Aqua hot, and read up on how to service it, before you do it, as there are some tricks you need to know prior to doing a service. If your external fuel filter for the HH does not have shut off valves, you will have to pinch those hoses closed so you do not spill fuel all over the ground, etc. NAPA makes or sells some handy plyer type clamps with smooth flat jaws which will not damage those hoses, crimping them off. I keep two sets of each size in my tool bag, as you will need the large pair of them for the fuel filter change on the genset as well.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Diesel Burner switch

I too, am having the same problem. Bought the coach in October and I know AquaHot was working. Today, I turned on the diesel burner switch and after about 25 seconds it (the green light) shuts off. The burner never comes on. A check of the control panel in utility panel shows Green light on Element Status and Heating status. The Electric switch seems to work just fine. When the Diesel switch is turned on, Pump #3 light is also on green. I checked the 20amp fuse located just below the Electronic Control panel in utility bay - it checked out ok. I also have receipts where the previous owner replaced the nozzel and had the burner reconditioned last April. I also checked the breaker on the main circuit panel inside the coach. Probably am missing some really simple procedure - but I sure can not figure what it may be.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
I too, am having the same problem. Bought the coach in October and I know AquaHot was working. Today, I turned on the diesel burner switch and after about 25 seconds it (the green light) shuts off. The burner never comes on. A check of the control panel in utility panel shows Green light on Element Status and Heating status. The Electric switch seems to work just fine. When the Diesel switch is turned on, Pump #3 light is also on green. I checked the 20amp fuse located just below the Electronic Control panel in utility bay - it checked out ok. I also have receipts where the previous owner replaced the nozzel and had the burner reconditioned last April. I also checked the breaker on the main circuit panel inside the coach. Probably am missing some really simple procedure - but I sure can not figure what it may be.

Bob, I am sure there will be an AquaHot vendor at the Tampa Super Show that will service it for you.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Mine did the same thing and it was the silver control box thats mounted on the side of the burner. Replaced it and all is well
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
Mine did the same thing and it was the silver control box thats mounted on the side of the burner. Replaced it and all is well

Thanks. I unplugged, checked and then re-plugged every single fuse, wire connector and controller card plugs. I also downloaded the AquaHot service manual and performed all the checks. At this time - my system now seems to be working correctly. Best guess - some connection somewhere was not getting a strong enough signal and I "accidentally" fixed it. Time will tell.

To DennismHamm: thanks, that is what I will look at first if it malfunctions again.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

All of the controls (temp, level, etc,) report there. Could be a loose connector.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Diesel burner switch

Quote:

I had similar symptoms and had to also replace the Webasto burner control box (Silver box).

The diesel light switch going out indicates a fault in the Webasto control system. Could be any part of Webasto burner system. Troubleshooting the coil, flame sensor would be easy things to check first as the control box is pricey.

I spent considerable time checking all the components in the Webasto system. Even built a test panel to manually operate it.
When system is first turned on and starting to fire I could tap on the silver box and it would take off. This finally convinced me to spend the money and replace it. Has worked great ever since.

Something to keep in mind is that after it is working correctly it may smoke some till all the excess unburned fuel is gone.

Edit:
Couple threads on past experiences.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/hydr...ng-348490.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2002...ce-243811.html
Old 01-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

OP- there is a gizmo next to the burner nozzle called a flame sensor, mine is connected w/2 bullet connectors. Could be the flame sensor is bad, could be the connectors(or 1 of them) isn't connecting well (that's what my problem was when it was 16 degrees outside), or it could be dirty & just need cleaning. Also could be controls. You have to remove the burner head to check the sensor but don't have to disconnect the plumbing to it.

Tags
diesel, switch