Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Directv SD Dropping

My coach has the old Motosat automatic dish which only supports standard definition (SD) Directv. Our Directv account included an SD receiver. We recently took advantage of the Costco deal and opened a new account for a $55 discount (1 year) which was supposed to have included the SD receiver. WRONG! We got all mini Genie receivers for the extra bedrooms which would have included the SD receiver. Talked to Directv at length today and discovered that the only reason SD has not been dropped already is because of Covid. They donít want to impact people until things are ďnormalĒ. DO NOT BELIEVE A DIRECTV (ATT) REP IF THEY CLAIM YOU CAN KEEP YOUR SD RECEIVER!

BE AWARE, itís only a matter of months or weeks before SD gets dropped ... meaning no more satellite support!

I assumed this was going to happen but hoped for more time. It appears that short of buying a new HD dish I can purchase an HD24 receiver which can be configured for the SD dish. Eventually Iíll have to buy an HD dish but the HD24 will work with that dish also. Iíll also have to determine how to split the HDMI and feed it to the rear bedroom TV. if anyone has a good specific solution for this please post it.

Just an FYI ...
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Correction: The recommended receiver is H24 (no DVR) or HR24 (DVR).
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #3

We ran into a similar issue with our new house and the coach....we were "wedded" to DirectTV for many years in the coach and used the old OEM winegard manual dish...it was SD and manual crank but worked fine...but it finally wore out and with HD coming our time was borrowed anyway. We went with DirectTV in the new house with the Genie DVR receiver and mini remotes on co-axle cable--still think wire is better than wire-less. So replaced the old crank up dish with a new Traveler DirectTV….Bottom-line: we are able to travel in the coach by taking the Genie DVR and one remote from home--works great....but no east/west coast feeds, so just use OTA where we are camped, if available.
Sorry Bob--this doesn't help your situation. Suspect internet streaming will eventually solve/replace all this--it just doesn't seem to be there quite yet.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:38 PM   #4

We dropped DTV at the house last summer after being with them for years, decades actually. We went with Dish, so far very satisfied. The coach needs an upgrade and Dish has some good options. Weíll look into them this spring. Iíd recommend that you detach from DTV, ASAP.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:40 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Replaced my MotoSat with a RF Mogul dish for Dish and then switched home over to Dish with a Hopper 3 and wireless Joey's. Just take the Hopper and 2 Joeys to MH. No rewiring of the MH and I have HD.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #6

If I was in your situation, I would be hesitant to spend money on anything to do with satellite TV.
The entire industry is shifting toward Internet streaming. Some day in the next few years there may be no more satellite or cable-based TV.
Channel selection will be a la carte.
Peacock, cbs all access, Hulu, Netflix, prime, hbo max, Sling, etc. will be the standard.

Personally, I removed the factory dish from my alpine roof and replaced it with an antenna just for local broadcasts. Everything else comes from using my phone as a hot spot and streaming to the smart tv.

I am old and retired, but the majority of people I worked with were very young. NONE of them had cable or satellite at their homes.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv