Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #1

DIY--Fogged Window Repair

After reading about pumping fluids between the panes and $500 per frame repairs, I decided to look into a DIY solution. This effort is not for the faint of heart--perhaps 7.5 wrenches on a scale of one to ten. Using a reputable glass company, I managed to "replace" all three panes in the passenger window set [MDTS] for about $250. Have not priced replacement glass for the reflective glass panes.

According to the glass company, the problem is the kind of spacing material used by the SEGI--not the glass manufactured by Janal. SEGI used a flexible spacer that is great for making sharp bends but not very good for obtaining a durable seal. A rigid spacer is more difficult to bend but results in a superior seal. Not sure what materials the "$500 reseal guy" is using but new glass with new seals seems like the way to go. PM me if you want the down and dirty on the removal/replacement process.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #2

Old Scout,
SEGI windows have a reputation for fogging up due to poor seals. There are a couple of places that will repair them. Early this spring, I had three SEGI windows repaired at Suncoast Designers in Hudson, Florida. They remove the windows, clean the glass and put in new seals and reinstall with a prorated 5 year warranty. They charge $250 for drivers side and all others are $200. If your glass is etched inside they offer replacement panes for $30 each. Suncoast is a residential glass company they build their own windows and seem to have found a niche market in SEGI windows.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Window seals

Old Scout:
I had great results with Dave Root from Bend, Oregon.
<www.daverootrvglassrepair.com> Send him a photo of your windows and he'll send you a cost for repair. He does travel for repair jobs. He may save you some travel costs. I had great success with Dave.
Have fun.
Milt
Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #4

Scout- could you post your steps here? This is one of those things that will be an ongoing problem for years.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #5

I was washing my M/H today and noticed that the P/S front window has started to fog. Since all the repair spots are pretty far away from Central CA, I was wondering if someone could post a reply as to how to take out the window and repair it. Possibly after taking it out, we could find a local glass shop to repair it. Thanks.

Wayne
07 36MDDS
wayne0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #6

I could not find a local glass shop that would touch this. Neither would any of the auto glass companies who only wanted to replace windshields. Janal supplies glass OEM to SEGI who supplied the frame OEM to WRV. Good luck trying to get into that loop! Luckily Coastal Designers are on my way south for the winter so I can get my window fixed next month.
I did read on another forum that someone was able to order a replacement sealed glass pane but their manufacturer was still in business.
Call around and you may get lucky.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Here's a link to Jim@Hitek's blog where he fixes has foggy windows. There are several other posts in this forum as well where DIY'ers have fixed their windows, I believe chuck1935 has several posts where he did his.

Their repairs involve penetrating the seal between the panes, blowing/cleaning the moisture out and re-sealing the panes. Chuck1935 used nitrogen to fill the windows, but Jim used plain old air and had similar good luck.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I had several windows repaired by Dave Root in Oregon this summer. He is heading through California at the beginning of next year. Do a search in the forum to get his email and check with him for availability as he travels through. He does great work and I highly recommend him.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
M&J

Dave Root is going to be at my place Sunday to reseal a window on my coach. He is headed to California in the next month or so.

His email is chdrroot@hotmail.com

Dave was recommended by Kraig who had Dave reseal windows on his Apex as well.

Good luck and I will let you know how my repair goes.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #10

Assume Dave will only fix the windows [ie clean and reseal] if they havent gone too long and been etched--correct? I am sure its been stated before but does anyone have a current estimate of what he is charging per window or frame?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #11

I have an estimate from Dave Root to repair my windows while in Quartzsite at DRR X. His estimate is for the following windows:
2 fixed drivers side panes
1 entry door pane
1 fixed pane by pass seat
2 kitchen slider panes
His total estimate was $1,213
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #12

When Dave repaired my windows in November, I asked him why my windows might have failed. He said when SEGI assembled the windows, they probably ran them through a window washer to clean them. SEGI probably didn't throughly clean the edges. He takes the whole window in his trailer, disassembles, cleans and reseals all inside his trailer. He uses a different material to seal them than SEGI used. He said he has had not any fail in 3 years.

I asked him if you don't fix them and let them go, he said they can etch the glass if you let them go to long. If it is etched, he can sand the glass, but there may be some swirl marks. If you are going to get them fixed, I think it would better not to wait.

As far as which windows to fix, even if all the windows in the same frame haven't failed, since you have labor to take it out, you should fix all in the same frame. He won't try to talk you into fixing other windows, if they haven't failed.

As far as quote from him, take pictures from the inside out and then he will give you a quote.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #13

Thanks Wil but I was hoping for a per window or frame price on a common window size--eg the driver's side 3-pane frame. I replaced the d/s window glass [3-panes] with a local glass company and did the "takeout/putback" myself for about $225--but this is not an easy DIY. Sun Coast in Fla offers cleaning and reseal -- $250 for d/s panes, $200 for the other windows. We are doing a Key West trip this spring so driving to Sun Coast is a sunk cost.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
M&J

I just had Dave Root here today to repair two woindows in my coach. He did an excellent job. He is very personable and conciencious about his work. As noted he takes the windows out and disassembles them, cleans and reseals them in his trailer before reinstalling and sealing the frames to the coach exterior. He uses a completely different type of seal in the windows and warranties his work for three years.

I definately recommend him to anyone needing to have windows repaired.

His website is: www.daverootrvglassrepair.com

For those of you in California, he is headed your way next month.

I debated about doing it myself and am sure glad I didn't attempt it after watching Dave do the job. One window did not want to come out and he definately earned his money on that one. And I think he is reasonble on his pricing.