Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuby View Post
Cummins told me they would have to jack it up to remove from the bottom but I'm not sure they did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
As I recall the guys took mine out through the louvered door. The pics I have don't show it jacked up.

Looks big and heavy!!
After reading the experience of the Monaco owner who had to cut away a small section of the side to remove the radiator, I suspect the Cummins shop assumed the same task for your Alpine. Looking at Shuby's picture and Terry W's post, I would think removal from our coaches does not require radiator jacking up the vehicle.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I would think removal from our coaches does not require radiator jacking up the vehicle.
The shop who R/R'd ours, in Loveland, CO raised the coach for the task. I believe Cummins Rocky Mtn. (crummy) spoke of the same, when 'explaining' their sky-high estimate.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
The shop who R/R'd ours, in Loveland, CO raised the coach for the task. I believe Cummins Rocky Mtn. (crummy) spoke of the same, when 'explaining' their sky-high estimate.
I certainly don't know the procedure, I only looked at the picture posted and it appears that the radiator stack could be removed directly from the side. There maybe something else involved that is not shown in the picture, so until someone who has actually done the job on an Alpine chimes in, the jacking up step is still open, at least to me.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #18

I'll see if i can remember how to post pics and I'll post them. There are only 2 but, it looks to me like everything was done from the side.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #19

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0213.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	318697

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	318698

Looks like there's no reason to try to take it out the bottom. These are all I have of the radiator replacement.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:35 PM   #20

I have replaced mine. It's isn't so hard if you have basic mechanical skills and the tools, space, time and the will. I'll try to explain the procedure but my memory isn't what it used to be so I hope I don't leave something out. This is only to give a very basic idea on how to remove the radiator.

The louvered panel has two bolts on the bottom if the tabs aren't broken. Can't remember if there are any others. The panel will lift up and you can remove it. Build a stand with 2x4's so that when you unbolt the AC condenser you can hang it from the stand with bunji cords so that you don't have to disconnect the lines. Next remove the shroud around the radiator assembly.

IIRC the next piece to come out is the charge air cooler. Disconnect the boots from the turbo piping on each side of the CAC. Two people can easily lift this out after removing the fasteners. Next is the hydraulic oil cooler. Disconnect the hoses from each side. you need a drain pan to catch a small amount of oil that will drain from the cooler and lines. Now you can remove the fasteners and the the cooler.

Next remove the transmission cooling lines to the radiator and the upper and lower coolant lines. You will most like have to cut the short hoses that connect the radiator to the upper and lower metal coolant tubes since they will be stuck to the radiator inlet and outlet nipples.

Now the fan shroud that is bolted to the back of the radiator that carries the fan and fan motor needs to be removed. All I did was make a stand so that I could unbolt the assembly, move it back a few inches and rest it on the stand.

Now you can remove the radiator. There are two 1/2" bolts on each side that capture the flanges on the radiator tanks, two isolation bushings. and the supports that are bolted to the frame. Using a motorcycle lift positioned under the radiator I was able to undo the bolts and lower the radiator by myself.

Oh yeah, I forgot, draining the coolant should be the first step. Below will give you an idea of how much weight is hanging off the two bolts that hang the entire assembly

RS Radiator 160lb actual
CAC 74lb actual
Oil Cooler 33lb actual
Fan Assy 115lb actual
AC Condensor and sheet metal 20lb estimated
Coolant and oil 90lb estimated
Old 02-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #21

Here's a picture after the CAC is removed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	removal.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	318706  
Old 02-20-2021, 08:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
I'll see if i can remember how to post pics and I'll post them. There are only 2 but, it looks to me like everything was done from the side.

Terry

Thanks for the pictures guys. This helps give me a direction when i get ready to do this. It'll be soon.... I'll keep ya'll updated when i start and how it goes.
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:24 PM   #23

Here's a pic of the fin-rot in my radiator. Tough to see the missing fins.... but it's the greenish section in the right corner
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FinRot.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	318751  
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, diy, radiator, replace, replacement