Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2022, 05:12 PM   #1

Dometic 4 button to 10 button thermostat and control boards

Hello all!

Alpine coach 1999 m36 mds
Pretty much everything was stock when we got it a couple months ago and we are working through differed maintenance and minor issues.

I am in the process of replacing a 4 button to a 10 button. I purchased two control boxes and a thermostat.

I asked the vender help desk and they said a 10 button would be a direct Replacement. Since 4 and 5 button are discontinued.

Well I am having an issue with the bedroom rear AC.
When the rj11 cable is plugged in to the rear control box the AC turns on the fan instantly and I get an “e1” error on the thermostat. However when the rj11 cable is unplugged the front zone 1 hvac works as it should. Heater turns on and so does AC, plus all fan functions.

Anyone upgrade from a 4 to a 10 button?

Zone 1 dip switch set to on for furnace, off for everything else.
Zone 2 dip switch set to on for zone 2, off for everything else.

Everything worked prior to replacement (except the on off switch on the four button needed to be set just right for it all to stay on during camping, we used a rubber band to hold it in place)

I cleaned off the rj11 cable ends. I might go buy a new rj11 telephone cable to test from front to rear, just to rule out the cable breaking when I swapped the control boxes.
I used this manufacturer guide
https://epi.dometic.com/externalasse...ref=1394749228

Email From vender….
The 5 and 4 button thermostat have been discontinued and out of production. The 10 button thermostat is the replacement. However, the 10 button control box will not work with an older heat pump unit. If you do not have a heat pump then proceed with changing control box and thermostat.

3314082.011 - White
3314082.000 - Black
3312020.000 - Control box

Happy Camping,
Shaun Wagers
Consumer Support
CustomerSupportCenter@Dometic.com
800-544-4881
Dometic North America Elkhart United States
Jason911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2022, 07:44 PM   #2

The issue described is usually associated with a load on the rear AC control wires. Generally, this is due to a bad capacitor in the AC itself putting an unexpected load on the control unit. If the jumped RJ11 results in the same error code, then have the AC diagnosed.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonpharme View Post
The issue described is usually associated with a load on the rear AC control wires. Generally, this is due to a bad capacitor in the AC itself putting an unexpected load on the control unit. If the jumped RJ11 results in the same error code, then have the AC diagnosed.
I tested new cables, same result. Then swapped control boxes and the issue followed the control box. So the dealer is going to send me a new control box to see if I received a bad control box. I’ll update once I receive the new control box but for now I have a working zone 1 and heater.

One thing I did learn is that you need to reset (initialize) the thermostat after each change so that it learns the active zones and removes the non used zones on the thermostat.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...2013DMCCC2.pdf
Old 12-19-2022, 11:04 PM   #4

I received a replacement control box and now everything is working as it should.

So if you want to go from a 4 or 5 button thermostat you can swap out for a 10 button with two new control boxes under the AC. However you will have to cut the wall to mount the new thermostat due to the design of the 10 button thermostat not able to mount flush on the wall.
Old 12-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #5

Here is pictures of the new 10 button control.
I used a 2” hole drill bit. The phone cable fell down and I had to fish it out.

It is really nice having the newer model that works everytime haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E360C58-5E32-443B-A63B-32916BD930E5.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	383297   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4BA6A70-ABC4-45CB-B24A-AF83451D1CE9.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	383298  

Old 12-25-2022, 10:36 PM   #6

Now that you have everything working correctly, is now a good time to tell you about the EasyTouch RV thermostat? They didn't have a model to replace a 4 button thermostat, but they do have one to replace the 10 button model. I had the 5 button Dometic and replaced it a couple of years ago. It was an easy swap, unlike what you had to do with the control boards.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Now that you have everything working correctly, is now a good time to tell you about the EasyTouch RV thermostat? They didn't have a model to replace a 4 button thermostat, but they do have one to replace the 10 button model. I had the 5 button Dometic and replaced it a couple of years ago. It was an easy swap, unlike what you had to do with the control boards.
What!!!!! 🤪 where were you 2 months ago! Haha thanks for sharing, I wish I knew about these replacement thermostats.

They make a 4 button direct replacement too. :(
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Micro...sy-350-x01.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99BC7E49-2E9B-4E28-982B-4C5BCD3E1731.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	383310   Click image for larger version

Name:	4AA1CE5E-F1FC-4BE6-AA65-5BAAD62E11BB.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	383311  

Old 12-26-2022, 01:02 PM   #8

Sorry! I try to brag about these every chance I get. My old thermostat still worked, but was nearly impossible to read with old eyes. When I showed the website to my wife, she said to buy it, without even asking the price. Bluetooth and Wifi capability just a bonus.
Old 12-26-2022, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Sorry! I try to brag about these every chance I get. My old thermostat still worked, but was nearly impossible to read with old eyes. When I showed the website to my wife, she said to buy it, without even asking the price. Bluetooth and Wifi capability just a bonus.
Keep up the bragging. Domestic didn't do much to help their customers. That is a much needed product.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:44 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Based on Jim A’s glowing recommendation in an earlier post, I took the plunge and made the upgrade as well. Where the thermostat is located on a mid door makes it hard to read from the steps. The new screen is just like the pictures and very intuitive. Should you change to the newer style AC units, it can be reprogrammed to work on those as well.

I appreciate all of the great advice that has been shared in our owner’s forum. Happy New Year!!
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 09:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
Based on Jim A’s glowing recommendation in an earlier post, I took the plunge and made the upgrade as well. Where the thermostat is located on a mid door makes it hard to read from the steps. The new screen is just like the pictures and very intuitive. Should you change to the newer style AC units, it can be reprogrammed to work on those as well.

I appreciate all of the great advice that has been shared in our owner’s forum. Happy New Year!!
And I was just forwarding the recommendation I got from a fellow Alpine owner. Reading this forum can be expensive from time to time! I am glad my recommendation worked out for you.

Tags
dometic, thermostat