Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #1

Dometic Duothern

Anyone explored switching out the old 4-button thermostat for something cooler?

Dometic makes a cooler looking 5-button replacement as well as a square single zone control panel, but from what I can gather, if you have the old 4-button version, you need to replace boards on each a/C unit as well, to be able to update.

There is nothing wrong with my old 4-button thermostat.....just looks old.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #2

Brianna,

The new thermostat is not compatible with what I call the A/C control module in your system. you need to buy an update control module for each A/C unit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently replaced my rear A/C. I brought the new thermostat and found it did not work with the current control modules. I return the thermostat.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #3

The single zone tstats from Dometic are the pits, particularly the 3 button "Touch" ones. The 3 (actual) buttons are not that much better.

You currently have a CCC (Comfort Control Center) system, but you didn't mention if you are running more than 1 air conditioner, if is heat pump, etc.
It is actually better to use a Coleman Control Assy as is more universal but requires a harness adapter cable. 9330C755 Cool / Heatpump, and ACCOLKIT (from etrailer). You can also use the harness off old control box to make adapter with. Now you have the ability to run any thermostat out there, as long as is compatible with millivolt systems. If you provide 24vac (advanced installation), you can also install NEST and other Smart Thermostats and every other thermostat that is found in residential. But without 24vac, you will have to use a thermostat that is millivolt compatible, and is able to run off internal batteries. Basically has relay outputs, and doesn't require power.

Once you get away from CCC or CCC2, you are now open to the most common RV Mod known: changing thermostat.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I am considering replace of my front Dometic Penguin 2 heat pump with a new Penguin 2 AC (not heat pump). Between the furnace and portable ceramic heaters I see no reason to pay the price for a heat pump which is not reliable in temps below 50 degrees. The front heat pump has become very noisy and unreliable at maintaining set temp. My rear heat pump does well and is relatively quiet.

I’ve been researching new Penguin 2 AC units which are apparently not compatible with the CCC thermostat. I believe that control boards are available for the Penguin 2 unit to make it compatible with the CCC system. I’m also considering replacement of the rear heat pump just to move the entire system to CCC2. Hopefully, owners with experience making these changes can verify or or correct this information.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
I am considering replace of my front Dometic Penguin 2 heat pump with a new Penguin 2 AC (not heat pump). Between the furnace and portable ceramic heaters I see no reason to pay the price for a heat pump which is not reliable in temps below 50 degrees. The front heat pump has become very noisy and unreliable at maintaining set temp. My rear heat pump does well and is relatively quiet.

I’ve been researching new Penguin 2 AC units which are apparently not compatible with the CCC thermostat. I believe that control boards are available for the Penguin 2 unit to make it compatible with the CCC system. I’m also considering replacement of the rear heat pump just to move the entire system to CCC2. Hopefully, owners with experience making these changes can verify or or correct this information.
The control board is a separate unit that interfaces with your A/C unit. All you need to do is replace the control board in the rear A/C unit that works with the new thermostat.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Anyone explored switching out the old 4-button thermostat for something cooler?

Dometic makes a cooler looking 5-button replacement as well as a square single zone control panel, but from what I can gather, if you have the old 4-button version, you need to replace boards on each a/C unit as well, to be able to update.

There is nothing wrong with my old 4-button thermostat.....just looks old.

You need to check carefully that they have a control board for that. It's probably not backwards compatible. They didn't make one for my old Penguin a/c (which came with the CCC 5 button) to run on the new CCC2. When my front a/c died, I had to stay with the CCC 5 button and get a dumber board for the new front a/c.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

...me too--had to install a "dumber" board in the new unit, the new board I removed is in the file cabinet waiting for the day when the older AC unit fails…...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic