Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Drag Link

I have a 2007 Alpine Limited SE and my drag link has become loose and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have information where I can find a drag link or a supplier that made these for WRV? Thanks. Cookiejar
Cookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

Are you sure it is the drag link. Most Alpine's have the problem of the track bar rattling. The drag link connects the steering box to the tie rod. The track bar connects the frame to the axle. If it is the track bar that is rattling it is probably not worn out is just has slop in the frame mount letting it rattle in the mount. Jut give both the mounts a good OMG tightening w/ a about a 900ft. lb inpact wrench and it will squeeze the mount together.
2002 Country Coach Magna Journey 37' 455hp. CAT C-12 - our current Family Adventure Ride, 2000 Alpine 36FDSS Cummings 330hp. SOLD 5/2016, 2002 Renagade 21' Toter Home CAT 3046 SOLD 9/08- Henderson, Co.
tillbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:47 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Tillbuilt, I have a rattle when I hit bumps and had Grand Traverse Diesel check it out and they said the Drag Link was loose and they thought it was the problem. I will check on the track bar to be sure I am working on the correct solution. Thanks. CookieJar 2007 40 FDTS.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiejar View Post
Tillbuilt, I have a rattle when I hit bumps and had Grand Traverse Diesel check it out and they said the Drag Link was loose and they thought it was the problem. I will check on the track bar to be sure I am working on the correct solution. Thanks. CookieJar 2007 40 FDTS.
Could the rattle noise be the bar that is used to hold the generator door? I know that I ended up putting some tape on it where it could hit some metal. Just a thought.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #5

Got my 2005 in April 2007. From the start there was a clunking sound from the beneath the driver's seat. Had several people look at it and finally when a tech was installing a new fuel sending unit, he said "you mean this sound" and there was the clunking. Turns out the bushings at both ends of the drag link were "shot." Contacted WRV and they tried to get just the end pieces but the manufacturer would not sell just the ends. (I'm sure I could have gotten them elsewhere but didn't know this at that time.) So bought the whole drag link, finally got it installed (WRV shipped to wrong address once) and the clunk was gone.
Check out the bushings.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Cookiejar,

In case your problem really is the drag link check here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/tie-rods-53336.html

One of the misc topics covered here are drag links.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #7

I wont argue with the "facts" but I find it really hard to believe that a pretty heavy-duty steering/suspension axle component would wear out in just a few thousand miles. Assuming you grease your front-end every 3-5 thousand miles, these components should last for years in an RV application. The exception being some sort of alignment issue that continuously exercises a link or component--but so severe the driver would have to feel it.
PS--loose track bars are an issue with older coaches.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #8

Drag link problem

I blew a front left tire on my 2003 Alpine Coach. Nasty! It took out at least one end of the drag link, among other things. Now I am looking for a replacement of the drag link and the ends. Anyone know where I can find such a part now that WRV has gone away? I am at a loss.
frenchcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Frenchcar, My truck repair facility in Traverse City, MI said they could measure the length and angles and find me a replacement drag link. Perhaps you can find a truck repair place close to you.
CookieJar
Old 09-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #10

Cookiejar. I'm taking the coach up to the shop again today and they just may have to do that. Thanks for your support and Cheers from Western WA
frenchcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #11

I was under the Smith's front end yesterday and checked their drag link. The rubber bushings at both ends were gone completely and apparently have been for some time. On mine they were cracked seriously from the start (20k+ on Smith's, 11K on mine). IMO improper initial fit of the bushings caused the heavy cracks, and once the bushings tear away the grease can fall out easily and lead to premature death of the ball joint ends. Special attention to keeping the tie rod zircs greased on the later models is warranted IMO because of this condition.

Elsewhere it was noted WRV used tie rod ends that might have been European or otherwise hard to match. That oddity might play into the fast-to-wear bushings. I'll be doing steering inspections at the Chula Vista pre-rally and will include this point on my punchlist. Maybe it is related to the increase in drag link diameter (not sure what year that occurred).