Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Drawer slides

On our 2005 38' FDTS we have drawer slides from Houck industries, they have worked fine for several years, however now I am finding that the rear mounting brackets are breaking (could be that they are 10+ years old). They are made of plastic, I found them on eBay by searching "Houck 051". They are handed so you purchase them as a set (left and right) for $5 plus shipping.

Houck recommends that there be a minimum of 2" of slide in the bracket, if not shim behind the rear mount. Every drawer slide I have looked at thus far did NOT have 2" in the bracket, so as I replace the broken ones I am adding a 3/4" (or more) spacer to bring the slide further into the bracket.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #2

I had the same problem for the same reason. Just a lot sooner! I replaced mine with K&V roller bearing slides. They make a model for RV's with a keep closed feature, which works fine. And they have metal rear brackets.

Much better quality slides if you want to take the time and expense to do it.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I think WRV had the inverse problem with slides that they had with cabling, too much cable, too little slide in the bracket.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 08-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Dave,
We decided to use the wasted space and lengthen our drawers and add the roller slides. Judy loves the added storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	105400  
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
They look great!

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 09-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I had the same problem for the same reason. Just a lot sooner! I replaced mine with K&V roller bearing slides. They make a model for RV's with a keep closed feature, which works fine. And they have metal rear brackets.

Much better quality slides if you want to take the time and expense to do it.
Are those Knape & Vogt? Did you do 3/4 extension? Full? Do you recall the part/model number?

Thanks

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #7

We used KV 8400RV full extension. This model is for rv'is with a hold closed feature. Got rid of the little plastic clips that WRV used to hold drawers closed. Have worked well even thru an Alaska trip
Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
Are those Knape & Vogt? Did you do 3/4 extension? Full? Do you recall the part/model number?

Thanks
Yes, Knape & Vogt. The part number that Sandy listed is the one I used. They are full extension. I think I got mine at Woodworker's Hardware online. The big box hardware stores likely don't have them. Austin's Hardwoods in Santa Ana carries a lot of their models, and can order them if they don't have them in stock. I think there is one in San Diego as well. They typically have good prices on cabinet hardware.

I used the Knape & Vogt KV8450FM soft close slides on my kitchen cabinets at home. I tried them for the smaller drawers in the kitchen of the coach as well, as the soft close feature holds them closed to some extent. They work well for those small drawers. I have never had one come open going down the road. But the KV8400RV has a better hold mechanism for larger drawers. Sandy did the Alaska test on them!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #9

Drawer Slides

Another option is Accuride 3832 Full Extension or Accuride 3834 Full Extension with 1" of extra travel. These are both excellent guides and use the same mounting as the KV's.
gerrygbusch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide