Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Driving down the road, dash a/c on and got a low voltage alarm (beep)

Driving along with dash a/c on and get a (beep) indicating low voltage. Display screen showed it at 11.8-12.2v. Shut off dash a/c and charges back up after a bit. Does not get above 12.8v.
I'm not an electrician at ALL. Do I just get the alternator checked?
CindyKfrmWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had that happen on the Dutch Star. Found it was a bad alternator, bought a new one for something over $400, then had to old one rebuilt for about $190 so I had a spare, then we traded the rig in and the alternator is too small for the new rig.
They found burned brushes and a bad bearing, both due to water intrusion.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

Yes, need to have someone who is "electrical-savvy" check the alternator and battery isolator.

With engine running, the alternator should be close to 14 VDC.

And, if properly functioning, the alternator can well more than keep up with all electrical loads on the coach.

Yes, if voltage is 14 with dash HVAC fan off and drops over a volt when it is running, you would need to check the amp draw of the fan. But, it is unlikely to be a bad fan motor as the root cause, as it should have blown its fuse long before drawing more amps than the alternator could put out.

Another cause could be a poor connection to the dash gauge/wire from battery to the front.

In a nut shell, you need someone to do the very basic troubleshooting on the system.
wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Update* alternator issues

So I removed the alternator and had it tested. As soon as the tech opened it up it was apparent it was toast. Smelled very burned and all the windings were black. Burned wires and such inside. Nearly a fire he said and not rebuildable....
So now I'm in need of a proper replacement. Any input from those of you who have replaced one?
It's a 2007 with cummins 400ISL.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #5

Have the alternator tech pull the numbers off the old one.

If not make and model number on the old one, let us know and perhaps someone else with the same model year or close to it can look it up.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 10-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #6

Check out the search function on this forum -- lots of discussion about available brands and sizes. Believe OEM [Leece/Nevelle] was a 160 amp with a DuVac excitor lead[s]. Some owners have suggested upgrading to 200 amp with a DecoRemy product but dont quote me on the brand.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #7

Yes, changing/upgrading alternators can be done. But, unless you or your tech are very electrically savvy, I suggest you only use one that is wired the same as the one you have now:

All will have a B+ terminal

Some will have a ground lug, some ground through their mechanical connection to the engine (if going from mechanical ground to separate ground lug, this is easily added).

Some use an external sense wire

Some use an exciter wire (powered only when ignition on)

Again, if you post the make and model of your current alternator, others can share their replacement/upgrade recommendations.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 11-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a post, with pictures, on this forum showing very clearly installation of a 200 amp Delco-Remy alternator. Did it myself, not a bad job. Got mine from Dynatron Electric in Long Beach CA for $395 in 2012.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/alte...age-76780.html

Yes, scroll down to the 5th post in this link. Dean has done an excellent job of describing alternator replacement.

And it has all wires in my post above:

B+
ground
sense
ignition hot

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 11-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
My alternator

Leece-Neville model A0012824LC, 160 Amp, 14 volt, sales No. 2824LC

I'm interested in possibly replacing this with a 200 amp upgrade. Torn between a Leece-Neville and Delco Remy as suggested above. Just want to be sure and order the proper alternator.
What is the real benefit to switching to Delco Remy???
Old 11-10-2015, 06:40 AM   #11

Your Leece-Neville model A0012824LC has both external sense and external excite/ignition features:

A0012824LC - Alternator Product Details | Prestolite / Leece-Neville
Old 11-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
How about this...

Didn't get much of a response regarding the reason for replacing Leece-Neville with Delco-Remy sooooo,
Anyone have part numbers for me to research that are a 200 amp upgrade with DUVAC ??? I just want to replace mine since it's toast and absolutely not rebuildable. Don't really need big long stories, just data I can use to get the ball rolling here...
Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout, do you know if the Leece-Neville model A0012824LC will fit on the 2006 alpine coach 40fd?

Thanks
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #14

My Alpine is an 03, so no first-hand knowledge here but acccording to CindyK--that part number fits her/his 2007 so it should fit a 2006 too. WRV changed Cummins engine models several times over the production run 350 to 400 in 02/03, 400 Pegasus in 05, and particle re-gen in 2007/08. Not sure how later changes might have changed the mounts for the alternator--however, the spec list provided by Brett show that alternator looks just like my 03 [400]. To be sure, you probably need the numbers off your alternator.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash