Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
DRR January 2012

All - At the gearhead session I mentioned I was going to post my written comments.

Below you will find what I was talking about, but one other thing, you should excersize the coach systems monthly, if it is sitting, make sure you drive it at least 25 miles out and back to get the oil in the engine and transmission warmed up and that drives out the water. Also remember to warm up and cool down the engine properly, if not sure do a search herein for that information.

My Comments below:

Alpine Apex’s; Special Editions (SE’s) and Regular MH’s – Periodic Maintenance Items – Safety and Fire Issues!!!

Safety Issues all - there are several areas of concern all owners need to know about, and have repaired or at least checked over.

1. Brakes – Water and brake fluid like each other, as water is absorbed into the fluid (affinity for brake fluid) - So….

a. Have brake fluid system power or manually flushed every TWO years maximum, regardless of where you live or travel. This only applies to hydraulic brake system coaches. Remember when water gets hot (heavy downhill braking) water can turn to steam – NO BRAKES!!!!

2. Steering bracket for models with movable pedals. The company made some changes in how the steering gear bracket was installed and the thickness of the steel used. Please check this link on IRV2.com to read the whole story. This is a SAFETY issue, and you should make arrangements to have this repair done if you have an effected coach. Engineer Mike can inspect your coach to determine if yours is affected. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/wrv-alpine-steering-bracket-upgrade-kit-58155.html) .

3. Electrical Issues – Fire and Hazardous Conditions
a. Generator Connections at coach junction Box – Owners reported these were loose.
b. Transfer Switch & Surge Guard connections – loose & arching
c. Main Breaker Panel inside coach – loose connections which need to be tightened.
d. Other 12V connections and especially ground connections which are loose.
Recommendation – Have checked or check yourself soon if they have not been checked. This may apply to all models and years units. See these links for further discussion.
Genset connections – (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/poor-engineering-by-wrv-cost-300-yesterday-36888.html - Read when you can) - This thread is almost self explanatory, read all of it, and then you will have the complete story and fix.

Computer Links - I would check www.irv2.com/forums - the alpine forum, the Cummins forum, and the Allison forum at least every two weeks to see if anything new has popped up you should be aware of.

We are driving an earthquake going down the road, every road surface crack, bridge joint, expansion joint, pothole, the coach drives over causes some torsion issues to occur, things get lose, twist, move, bounce, etc. In this environment, things will shake lose, rattle, and they just need a loving touch so they don’t cause you a problem when you least expect it. Check the front TV Bracket for tightness.

Owner’s Manuals on Coach and sub- Systems - You should read the owner’s manuals of all the sub-systems and the alpine manual if you have it at least once a year or before a planned trip if the first time out for the season, you will remind yourself or learn stuff you forgot or did not know.

Notes: All the wheels (Drive/Steering) are torque to 450-500 ft/lbs in case you have wheels removed or tires changed, make sure they use a torque wrench, not necessarily a torque-rattle gun to tighten them up.

I will be available for questions after this presentation, or pick up my card on the table please. You can also post PM or send me an e-mail.

The below recommended Truck/RV shops are or have been reported in doing some of these maintenance fixes (I have used the ones with an * and are pleased with the price and work performed):

a. *Pacific Power Products - Detroit Diesel/Allison Transmission in Ridgefield, Washington I-5 North Exit 14, turn left, and then another Left Turn after the Chevron Station, call them at:360-887-7400 ask for Brandy

b. *Cummins Northwest in Coburg, Oregon; exit 199 on Interstate 5. West side of Freeway.

c. Redlands Truck and RV (http://www.redlandstruckservice.com/) they work on Alpine’s all the time and have a good reputation. Additionally, they can install the steering bracket mentioned above and are reasonable from reports on the IRV2 forums.

d. * Lifeline Battery’s – They treat Alpine owners very fair and are quick in the changing of batteries. Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle AGM Batteries

e. *Silverleaf, INC - great folks, will help you via phone, and do excellent work on their products.

f. *Kustom Coach Works/Amazing Creations - There is not anyone better in custom cabinet/flooring/and any remodel items you want done in your coach. The pricing is great, and the work is Perfect, and they will keep you in the loop as far as the work is going. Call them at: 541-556-0501/541-501-3371, we are very happy with the work they have done and are looking forward to more work when we get home for additional modifications.

Talk to other owners about whom they have used for repairs and maintenance, good shops have a following. Send me via e-mail with shops you have used and are happy with, I will create a database of them, and keep it updated for owners of alpine coaches.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks so much, Monty!!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote