Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #1

Elbow Hinge

I have a 1998 36SDS.
Yesterday the wind decided to grab my door and slam it hard. The door has a piano hing and it survived. But the, what I call an elbow hinge, on the top of the door bent. Has anyone repalced this elbow hinge? I need to replace mine. I probably didn't expain this very clearly so if you have an answer or a question, let it rip.
TheKassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

How badly is it bent? Mine was bent and I was able to straighten it in a few minutes with a c-clamp and a piece of 1"x3" lumber.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:09 AM   #3

...Alpine doors were made by PTL Engineering, but the early design parts might be out of stock....agree, depending on what is damaged, you may be able to fix it yourself. In the old days, you could take something like this to a metal fab shop and get it fixed while you wait--hard to find that service now......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
I have the 2003 Alpine and the wind blowing in gust. My wife opened the door and it took it out of her hand. There's a stop at the top of door and it broke that off. When this happens when you shut the door,it won't open again until you go inside the inside panel and pull the cable. They all where laughing watching me go out the emerg. window till I figured out how to open it. I called PTL and they still have all the parts all the way back to the first door. Just warning when this happens you are locked in until you pull the cable inside the door.

Larry and Tammy

2003 38FD Alpine
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
All - Suspect lots of new owners at least to alpine. Suggest you attend a ACA rally and talk to Engineer Mike, he has a CD of all the manuals, and repair procedures developed down the all the years. Their used to be tech library page on the ACA website, and it has lots of information, manuals, and I even think who made what. The owners manual has a page at the back showing where WRV purchased the components installed in your coach if you have that. If not someone on here can make you a copy. PTL Engineering made all the doors, and their are two types, one uses a cable locking/opening method, and the other is a center locking assembly with a door stop bar at the top with a compression spring stop thing. Call them, they can help you with any parts, and I believe they still have them. I just had to fix my door lock - see post - so they are good to work with.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:29 AM   #6

PS--the "demise" of the ACA website Technical Library is somewhat premature [smile]. The Library is alive and well at ALPINECOACHASSOCIATION.COM. There is a wealth of information available in the library for our Alpines, to include owner manuals and the original WRV sales brochures. I believe the CD available from Engineer Mike is a compliment to the information on the website and is not a replacement for or copy of.

Equally important, the website provides current information on ACA activities and future rally planning. There are also links to our sister Alpine Chapters. Absolutely, agree, there is nothing like the technical support and fellowship that our rallies provide to Alpine owners, old and new. Our annual gathering in the desert at Quartzsite each January is an amazing experience. And our "nearly famous" Gearhead Sessions provide owners with a formal setting to ask questions and get answers to their specific problems or concerns.

So take some time to check out the ACA website and consider joining our Association--membership information and application forms are available on the website. I doubt you can find a more friendly and welcoming group of RVers who are totally dedicated to the care and preservation of their Alpines.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote