Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Electrical Problems??(cont.)

This is probably a real easy fix but...I cannot get the chassis batteries to charge on shore power or the generator. If I start the coach they charge and the number 19 led on the Vansco illuminates and the voltage across the Trombetta(new) is the same. If I use shore power, or the generator, the house batteries charge but the chassis batteries do not and the number 19 light does not illuminate. The voltage on the each side of the Trombetta shows corresponding battery bank voltage. I have swapped Vansco panels front to rear and no change. I have checked the wire loom voltage from the post to the pin,on the input side of the Vansco, and it reads corresponding battery bank voltage. It may be improperly set settings on the new Magnum inverter that I had installed, or a poor installation job. The charger on the new Magnum is on. Please don't suggest an Echo charger as I have two separate solar panel systems for each battery bank and I have read not to use the Echo with solar panels. Any suggestions would be great because I have checked and swapped everything that I can think of. Help!! Swprdog
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
And you are positive that it used to work? Many MH don't charge chassis batteries with the converter or Inverter/charger. Many install a trickle charger.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #3

On shore/generator power the house batteries will be charged first. The chassis batteries will be charged only after the house batteries are fully charged. Battery banks are charge in the opposite order while running the engine, provided there is no shore/generator power connected. Give it some time on shore power, then check to see if the chassis batteries are being charged.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #4

Are your solar panels a recent addition or the factory original ones?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #5

What voltage are you reading on the house battery, while on shore power. It must be over 13.2 or so, for the trombetta to close.

If the Magnum float setting is too low, it won't signal the circuit to close the solenoid.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:03 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok coahes come in two flavors for this post. Those with a B.I.R.D. and those without.. THe Bird is a two way isolator. IF the engine is running it connects house and engine batteries togethert.

If the Shore Power charger (Converter or inverter/charger) is running it connects them together

But if the voltage drops below say 13 volts (Voltage chosen for this post not necessarily the set point) It isolates. MOST newer coaches have this feature.

Many older coaches do not, they have only one way Isolators. (Engine charges everythign, Shore/Generator only the house)

2005 is about when the BIRD's became more popular so with you 'o5 you might, or moight not.

Trick-L-Start.. That is the "other way" easy 3 wire hook up.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I'm kinda learning how the Alpine system is supposed to work. From what I gather, on shore, or generator power, the house batteries charge first then when the system senses a need, I believe its .8 volts difference, it closes the Trombetta and allows chassis batteries to charge. When the engine is running, with alternator producing power, it works opposite, chassis batteries charge first then, when sensed, house batteries charge. The system works fine with engine running but doesn't work on shore/generator power. The charger charges the house batteries but will not close the Trombetta to allow chassis battery charging. I have monitored it for hours and it doesn't work. The battery interconnect switch, which I think closes the Trombetta to allow battery bank connection for engine start, works because I can hear it click and I can start the engine if chassis batteries wont. I have been getting away with not needing to use the interconnect because the factory installed solar panels keep the chassis batteries charged. Last year I had solar panels installed, only 320 watts, and wired with a separate controller to the house batteries. Now that it's inside for the winter I noticed it doesn't appear to work right. Twinboat, please tell me more about how to set up my Magnum inverter. I have read through the manuals alot but apparently I don't spreken the deutch.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Try to confirm that the small red wires coming going from the Vansco to the studs at the back of the battery bay are on the proper studs. Engineer Mike determined that mine were reversed, that is to say, the House Batt lead was on the Chassis stud and the Chassis Batt lead was on the House stud. Once I swapped them the system worked properly. The wires are marked C Bat and H Bat. Hope this is your problem.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ok coahes come in two flavors for this post. Those with a B.I.R.D. and those without.. THe Bird is a two way isolator. IF the engine is running it connects house and engine batteries togethert.

If the Shore Power charger (Converter or inverter/charger) is running it connects them together

But if the voltage drops below say 13 volts (Voltage chosen for this post not necessarily the set point) It isolates. MOST newer coaches have this feature.

Many older coaches do not, they have only one way Isolators. (Engine charges everythign, Shore/Generator only the house)

2005 is about when the BIRD's became more popular so with you 'o5 you might, or moight not.

Trick-L-Start.. That is the "other way" easy 3 wire hook up.
We definitely don't have the BIRD on our coaches. Although we do travel with a parrot.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #10

You said you put on a Magnum inverter. You don't say what type of batteries you have. I put a Magnum inverter on mine and then switched to Gel batteries which required different settings on the inverter. Magnum Energy has excellent tech support. I suggest you give them a call and see if your inverter settings are right?
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #11

Janet and Todd;
That was one of the first things I checked, due to reading a previous post. Unfortunately, mine are wired correctly.
Kraig;
I will give them a call. I'm almost positive it's a "setting" thing.

P.S. I have Interstate lead/acid batteries and I have checked the Magnum settings and it is correct for those battery types.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #12

Don't know if you have 6 or 8 batteries. I have eight Interstate lead acid batteries, and when setting up my magnum the manual had a section for setting up the common parameters. This I did. When I called the tech line to validate my settings they had me change one of the advanced settings since I have eight batteries. It was the amount of time in boost phase if I remember correctly. They had me change that setting from 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours again if I remember correctly.

I found the tech on the phone to be very product knowledgeable and willing to spend whatever time necessary with me. I did have to wait a good 10 minutes for a tech to free up. I think Kraig's advice to give them a call is a good idea.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

Swprdog,

While not related to your issue of the inverter not charging the house batteries, it would be close to miraculous for the factory installed 10w solar panel to still be functioning. Even if it were it would not keep the chassis batteries charged without the chassis battery disconnect switch being in the off position. Most of the panels roasted to a crisp on their first summer out. I removed ours and installed a Zamp 20w panel, charge controller and new wires which keep the batteries charged for extended periods without power provided the disconnect switch is off.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #14

The last post was about setting the absorbsion charge for a longer time. That charge voltage is at 14 volts or more, way over the BIRD solenoid closing voltage.

Have you checked the float voltage yet ? That's the voltage that the charger should be in after 6 hours or so.

If you have a BIRD, ( Bi- directional charging ), the device that controls the trombetta needs to see a house charging voltage of 13.4 or more.

If your house batteries are charging at that voltage, its not the setting in the inverter/charger that need to be adjusted. You will need to troubleshoot the Bi-directional control, if you have one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, ems, problems