Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Amazon has this one in stock:

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-4...omotive&sr=1-1

Fleetfilter does as well:
https://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/46904.html
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #16

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but didnít realize these air filters wouldnít be available at most locations for pick up or quick shipping.

Are the WIX / NAPA filters as good or better then the Fleetguard ?

What is everyone using and where are you getting them ?

I have been boondocking on some very dusty roads an in need of a new air filter.

Thanks
GSPx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #17

These fit my 2004 400hp. I have used both. Napa can get these in 1 day.
Fleet Guard, I have had to order online. The last FG was delivered damaged in shipping so I prefer to have my local Napa dealer have it brought to there store and Iíll pick it up.

Motorhome Air filter
Fleet Guard Af25549.
Napa 6904
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #18

I think I might order from NAPA.
I might be more expensive, ($169.99) but at least you can get it in a day and if shipped to the store look at it and check for damage.
Wouldnít be nice to wait a couple of weeks just to find out it was damaged in shipping.
GSPx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:13 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been using them since 1985. 350k+ miles. 90k on my Accord, and no dust downstream of filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Linda's APEX View Post
Donít use a K&N (on your Alpine)!
Previous owners of our coach ďdustedĒ the engine with a K&N air filter requiring a very expensive rebuild. That said, Iíve had a K&N filter on our truck for 29 years!
Just put one on my ISL 380HP. Finally can accelerate into traffic. I'll let you know in 50k+ miles, when I dust my 8.9L....
Old 04-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Linda's APEX View Post
Don’t use a K&N (on your Alpine)!
Previous owners of our coach “dusted” the engine with a K&N air filter requiring a very expensive rebuild. That said, I’ve had a K&N filter on our truck for 29 years!
Back when I had my 2002 F350 7.3 diesel I frequented a website focused on Ford diesels trucks. There were plenty of power hungry guys on that website. What they concluded was that the K&N did not provide much increase in air flow in a turbo application.

The turbo is pumping air into the cylinders. So unless your filter minder is showing a lot of restriction you are getting air to the turbo. Unless you are not reaching boost, you are getting air past the turbo.

Dusted engines and turbos were there as well.

Oh another thing to think about. How big is the air filter in a diesel pickup? How big is the one on your coach. I remember some of those 7.3 ‘s with a bit more than 400hp running stock intakes/filters.

My self will not use K&N for those reasons. You can make your decisions for you.
Astasoftride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #21

A. The engine manufacturers recommend AGAINST K&N filters.

B. Unless your AIR FILTER MINDER shows excessive restriction, very doubtful that you will see a performance improvement with the K&N.

C. First hand experience with the 2003 FDDS 38' with ISL 400 was with the OE air filter, performance was very good.

If considering a "non-recommended" filter, what are you trying to improve???
Old 04-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPx2 View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but didnít realize these air filters wouldnít be available at most locations for pick up or quick shipping.

Are the WIX / NAPA filters as good or better then the Fleetguard ?

What is everyone using and where are you getting them ?

I have been boondocking on some very dusty roads an in need of a new air filter.

Thanks
I do recall the air filter not being in stock the last time I bought the other parts. It may have come in the following day. Not a big deal in that situation as the purchase was made well in advance of actually needing the parts.

In your case Iíd recommend buying 2 filters and maybe designate one specifically for those dusty locations.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #23

Wouldnt recommend keeping a spare--you want the freshest filter you can find....even sealed in packaging, the filter paper and glue may deteriorate. Nor do you want to disturb/remove a filter once it is in place--short of a filter failure or leak on the clean air side, the filter removal process is a vulnerable time for contamination.
This raises another issue--how long do run a filter? Some change filters every year; I change every three years, regardless of restrictor gauge reading, and base on 10-12k miles per year. Opinions can and do vary on this one!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #24

Well, if you have a spare when you need one, youíll have one. I think. No trying to find one, only to find out no on has one. Iíd also imagine that the one thatís been in the box for 2 years would be fresher than the one thatís been sucking air for 2 years. If itís ok to leave one on the coach for 3 years, why isnít it ok to leave one in a box for 3 years?

Iíve heard that Cummins wonít install a filter that is more that 1 year old. Iíve also heard that they realistically have a 5-7 year shelf life.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:35 PM   #25

Call B line filters in Odessa Texas. They carry Baldwin and fleet guard. I think the last air filter order was about 75 plus shipping. I usually get my oil and fuel filters from them
Old 04-15-2021, 06:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Wouldnt recommend keeping a spare--you want the freshest filter you can find....even sealed in packaging, the filter paper and glue may deteriorate. Nor do you want to disturb/remove a filter once it is in place--short of a filter failure or leak on the clean air side, the filter removal process is a vulnerable time for contamination.
This raises another issue--how long do run a filter? Some change filters every year; I change every three years, regardless of restrictor gauge reading, and base on 10-12k miles per year. Opinions can and do vary on this one!

Very good advice. Filters do deteriorate with age, so I would NOT buy a spare to use years down the line.

I also follow the "replace every three years" unless the air filter minder shows excessive restriction.

And the "need to change before 3 years" depends on both miles driven and amount of dust in the air. Travel in the SW is harder on filters than most other areas.

Tags
air, air filter, engine