Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 16
Engine Bay Door

Has anyone had the problem of the engine bay door coming off. We last traveled from Arizona to Florida. About half way there, I started having a problem of the engine bay door latches not holding and the door going up. The door seemed to be well secured to its brackets, so I didn't worry about it much. I would close it at every stop and try to get the latches to hold. At almost every stop, it was open again. (By the way, the roads were rough as hell) Finally, on our return in about the middle of Texas, I had a lot of people signaling me there was a problem at the back of my coach. At first, I thought they were just signaling me the door was open, but during the whole trip, only one person had tried to tell me about the door being open. Now I got 4 people signaling me within a few miles. I pulled off the highway and found the door completely disconnected on one side and hanging down, bending the bracket on the other side. I removed the door, stuck it in my tow vehicle, and went on home.
Now, my questions is, what is the best way to re-attach the door. It appears that there is a piece of wood fiberglassed into the back side of the door that the brackets are just wood screwed into. My thought is to epoxy some wood dowels into the screw holes and just re-attach with wood screws. Once re-attached, I will have to figure out why the latches are not working. It's a little difficult to see the closed latch with the door closed. You can see up from the ground, but I don't know how well yet. I had the spoiler on the back at the roof do the same thing a couple of years ago. These rough roads are beating the crap out of my poor coach!!:
jgsomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 746
Wow that sucks, at least you didnít lose the door.

The tabs they latch too are just a little too short. My latches did the same thing when I first bought mine. I removed the two tabs that the latches contact, I believe theyíre riveted on. I cut a couple of pieces of metal and shimmed them both out about 3/16Ēand that took care of the problem. I think I bolted them back on.

Hopefully you will have enough good wood to dowel and reattach too. Iím sure the wood could be cut out and a new piece glassed in. Iíll check mine out and make sure the wood is still solid.

Good luck, Terry
__________________
2005 Alpine
40 FDTS
Alpine Coach........That's how Jaguar would've done it!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
paul65k's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsomerville View Post
Has anyone had the problem of the engine bay door coming off. We last traveled from Arizona to Florida. About half way there, I started having a problem of the engine bay door latches not holding and the door going up. The door seemed to be well secured to its brackets, so I didn't worry about it much. I would close it at every stop and try to get the latches to hold. At almost every stop, it was open again. (By the way, the roads were rough as hell) Finally, on our return in about the middle of Texas, I had a lot of people signaling me there was a problem at the back of my coach. At first, I thought they were just signaling me the door was open, but during the whole trip, only one person had tried to tell me about the door being open. Now I got 4 people signaling me within a few miles. I pulled off the highway and found the door completely disconnected on one side and hanging down, bending the bracket on the other side. I removed the door, stuck it in my tow vehicle, and went on home.
Now, my questions is, what is the best way to re-attach the door. It appears that there is a piece of wood fiberglassed into the back side of the door that the brackets are just wood screwed into. My thought is to epoxy some wood dowels into the screw holes and just re-attach with wood screws. Once re-attached, I will have to figure out why the latches are not working. It's a little difficult to see the closed latch with the door closed. You can see up from the ground, but I don't know how well yet. I had the spoiler on the back at the roof do the same thing a couple of years ago. These rough roads are beating the crap out of my poor coach!!:
Which year and model is your coach?
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (74291)-1600W Solar, 13,440Wh (525Ah @24V) LiFePO4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Hemi)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 16
It's a 2005 36 FDTS
jgsomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 16
Thanks for the input. I bought some good rivet equipment when I had to repair the spoiler so I should be able to drill out the rivets on the latch brackets, make some new ones and rivet them back on. I appreciate the help.
jgsomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 746
Just curious if you resolved your engine cover issue and wondering if you thought about having a couple of vents cut in while you had it off.

Terry
__________________
2005 Alpine
40 FDTS
Alpine Coach........That's how Jaguar would've done it!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
DrDaveMA's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Just curious if you resolved your engine cover issue and wondering if you thought about having a couple of vents cut in while you had it off.



Terry


Terry, try putting the vents up high, there is a ďpocketĒ above the access hatch that traps a lot of hot air. I think the higher up you put the vents the better.
__________________
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Lake Wales, FL
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 746
Dave,

Like you said, the top seems like the best place for the vents. I’ve seen a couple of vented doors but I haven’t seen any vents in the upper portion of the rear. I haven’t read on here about anybody doing it, I’d like to see a pic if anybody has done it.

I just figured if he had the door off it would be a pretty easy modification.

Terry
__________________
2005 Alpine
40 FDTS
Alpine Coach........That's how Jaguar would've done it!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:57 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: MYRTLE BEACH SC
Posts: 8
I need to replace my windshields

Can anyone please tell me where I can get my windshields changed?
Howiechamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:11 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 16
Still working on the door. I drilled out the locations where the original screws were and used JB Weld epoxy to install wood dowels. I am still trying to decide what type of screws to use. Wood screws don't seem like they would have enough "staying power". Actually, just screwed into wood doesn't seem like that great of design to begin with. I love most things about this coach, but every now and then........

I hadn't thought about installing vents, but now I am. Higher up seems like a good idea. I will start looking around for a suitable vent. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Again, thank you for the suggestions.
jgsomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:11 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
DrDaveMA's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Dave,

Like you said, the top seems like the best place for the vents. Iíve seen a couple of vented doors but I havenít seen any vents in the upper portion of the rear. I havenít read on here about anybody doing it, Iíd like to see a pic if anybody has done it.

I just figured if he had the door off it would be a pretty easy modification.

Terry


I remember a pic of one years ago, good luck finding it!
__________________
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Lake Wales, FL
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:05 PM   #12
Senior Member


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sugar Grove IL
Posts: 231
https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showp...hp?photo=18937

This link has very nice engine vent grills that were added to an Alpine.
__________________
Mack Mover
2003 Alpine 40 MDTS
400 ISL
Bruce Anthon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door, engine



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 DSDP engine bay door LED dwrench RV Systems & Appliances 3 02-14-2019 01:39 PM
Engine bay door dairy-guy Entegra Owner's Forum 2 01-14-2019 05:58 PM
Replacement for engine bay door handles ziaptrn Monaco Owner's Forum 2 09-13-2017 07:52 PM
Bay Star electric bay door won't open - service in AZ, NV or CA? lnanne Newmar Owner's Forum 4 01-31-2017 09:49 PM
Bay Star Storage Bay Door Support Adjustment grumpytoo Newmar Owner's Forum 23 10-16-2015 10:43 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.