Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #1

Has this ever happened to anyonw else?
Last week I was drive our 03 40fdts when the endine died in the middle of a busy intersection. Luckily I wasnt going fast. The problem was ------no power steering---- and the brakes did not seem to work. I know I can muscle the steering manually, but it is hard to do. The brakes are what bothered me the most. I did stop. I restarted the engine, no problem.
This has happened three time in 18,000 miles. I think it happens only when engine is relatively cold. I had driven only 1 mile.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #2

Has this ever happened to anyonw else?
Last week I was drive our 03 40fdts when the endine died in the middle of a busy intersection. Luckily I wasnt going fast. The problem was ------no power steering---- and the brakes did not seem to work. I know I can muscle the steering manually, but it is hard to do. The brakes are what bothered me the most. I did stop. I restarted the engine, no problem.
This has happened three time in 18,000 miles. I think it happens only when engine is relatively cold. I had driven only 1 mile.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to ggbanks
Hi Stretch, Yes this has happened to me before. It happened on another motorhome I had and the cummins people determand it was the engine computer. It also happened on my alpine. This time cummins found a loose connection behind the battery cutoff switch which intermitently shut off the power to the engine. You should have Cummins run a fault check on the engine, they can probably find the exact cause. Good Luck
ggbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:17 AM   #4

Thanx George, I will take it to cummins, and let them have a look
Old 01-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #5

This has happened to us in our 03 and 04 coaches. It always did it when we had just started out in the morning and the coach was cold. Cummins in Ocala, FL helped debug it and we found if we turn the Jake brake off until coach is warm we do not have the problem.

You might try it and see if it helps.
dkgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #6

I had that happen a dodge station wagon sometime ago only I was in the "mumford lane" going about 70mph. It was as though I reached up and turned off the ignition. It was the engine computer...when it got hot it shut down. I know that's not an RV but hey it could be applicable. By the way...I have never bought another Chrysler product either. Lesson learned!
GI Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:51 AM   #7

Diesel engines don't stall per say, unless there is a problem. Once the compression ignition cycle starts you have to stop the fuel to the engine to shut it off. In fact all versions of stalling devolve to some form of shutting off the fuel. Now that diesel is fully electronic, there are many more ways to shut off fuel, so an informed search is required to isolate & repair the fault. It likely won't go away by itself.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #8

On our last trip, our 2003 Alpine/400-ISL died several times when coming to stops. Several times it died at the end of interstate off ramps and a couple of times in intersections. In our case it hasn't happened when the engine is cold. I took it to the first Cummins place on our route each time it happened. None of them was able to find the problem.
I too am concerned about the poor performance of the brakes and steering and really don't know what to do. My rig has been in it's garage since we got back (except for short monthly "maintenance" drives). It would be nice to be able to afford to just leave it at the Cummins place and tell them to work on it until it's fixed.
Good luck with your problem. Please keep us updated.