Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 PM   #1

Engine Maintenance Light

This past week when I started my coach, the "Engine Maintenance" light stayed on. The WRV owner's manual was of little help. So, what should I be looking for? Checked engine oil, slightly below the full mark, then drove 60 miles to our home base with no issues.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #2

Usually an "Engine Maintenance Light" is a reminder light that comes on after a predetermined number of miles or hours to remind you that it's time for service. Judging by the vehicle's age, it might be time for a new oxygen sensor or something similar.

This is not necessarily the same as a "Check Engine" light (aka "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" or "MIL") which usually indicates that some monitored parameter is out of kilter or that some system has set some code, which can be checked through the OBDII port with a scan tool (if your vehicle has such a port).
user113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by user113 View Post
Usually an "Engine Maintenance Light" is a reminder light that comes on after a predetermined number of miles or hours to remind you that it's time for service. Judging by the vehicle's age, it might be time for a new oxygen sensor or something similar.

This is not necessarily the same as a "Check Engine" light (aka "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" or "MIL") which usually indicates that some monitored parameter is out of kilter or that some system has set some code, which can be checked through the OBDII port with a scan tool (if your vehicle has such a port).

Alpines do NOT have OBD2 ports. The information is contained in the ECM and access via the data big.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #4

I can only offer my issue causing my Engine Maintenance Light to come on.To make a long story short I needed to replace the Ground Fuse. You could disconnect both ends of the fuse and join them together and see if the light goes out.My light would come on intermittently at first.I finnaly resolved the issue with a multimeter and a new fuse. Good luck.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

AKOne -- Perhaps you tried starting it before it was ready. When I start mine I have to turn the key on, wait a few seconds, then crank it. Sometimes if I crank it before waiting a few seconds (the instrument system goes through a check) it will start with the engine maintenance light on.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:33 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Alpines do NOT have OBD2 ports. The information is contained in the ECM and access via the data big.

Data bus.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Data bus.
OK, bear with me ... what do I need to connect to the data bus? Is this a dongle that would plug into the ECM and into a laptop computer (assuming I had software that could read fault codes from the ECM)? Hopefully I am asking the right question. Obviously, something is causing the Engine Maintenance Light to come on. The WRV owners manual gives me no place to start looking. And, I am certainly not going to take the coach to a shop at $140.00 per hour only to find out it is a two dollar fix (have a basic distrust of repair shops). Thanks!
Old 08-03-2017, 06:10 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
OK, bear with me ... what do I need to connect to the data bus? Is this a dongle that would plug into the ECM and into a laptop computer (assuming I had software that could read fault codes from the ECM)? Hopefully I am asking the right question. Obviously, something is causing the Engine Maintenance Light to come on. The WRV owners manual gives me no place to start looking. And, I am certainly not going to take the coach to a shop at $140.00 per hour only to find out it is a two dollar fix (have a basic distrust of repair shops). Thanks!

Tim, I committed one of the original sins of Alpine ownership, I did not look at your profile before posting a response. You have a 1999 coach and I have a 2005. In 2004 WRV made a major change to the Alpine by switching to Vansco, thus eliminating miles of wiring and tons of weight, thus making my knowledge of your coach extremely limited. Having said that, I am sure you have a data port for the Cummins ECM somewhere, I suspect it might be in the battery compartment. That gives you, or Cummins, access (with a laptop and the right software) to the error codes in the ECM.

We really need someone with a 1999 to chime in with specifics, but you need to read those codes to understand what the Engine Maintenance Light is telling you. If no one with a 1999 chimes in I will help you stumble through this, but let's stack the deck in our favor with exact information if at all possible.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #9

Agree with Dave, need someone with a 99 to chime in. Believe the only change that occurred pre-Vansco vs post Vansco is that the engine "data bus" went from two separate round, 7-pin, multi-plugs [engine and tranny] to a combined single 9-pin multi-plug. My 2003 [pre-Vansco] has two engine plug ports--one in the rear engine compartment [near air filter], and one under the dash, in front of passenger seat [round, gray, plastic caps]. Example: Silver Leaf PC application uses front dash port. Don't know if a generic software for Cummins diagnostic is available, would also need a jib connector/serial port for PC connectivity. That said, $140/ hour at Cummins might be cheaper for a one time use....
PS--our friend Diesel Dave had the requisite software and jib connector at Q-site and was charging $100 for a one-time diagnostic/history--so software and jib might be commercially available but again, at what cost????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Agree with Dave, need someone with a 99 to chime in. Believe the only change that occurred pre-Vansco vs post Vansco is that the engine "data bus" went from two separate round, 7-pin, multi-plugs [engine and tranny] to a combined single 9-pin multi-plug. My 2003 [pre-Vansco] has two engine plug ports--one in the rear engine compartment [near air filter], and one under the dash, in front of passenger seat [round, gray, plastic caps]. Example: Silver Leaf PC application uses front dash port. Don't know if a generic software for Cummins diagnostic is available, would also need a jib connector/serial port for PC connectivity. That said, $140/ hour at Cummins might be cheaper for a one time use....
PS--our friend Diesel Dave had the requisite software and jib connector at Q-site and was charging $100 for a one-time diagnostic/history--so software and jib might be commercially available but again, at what cost????
My 2001 is the same as Dave's, 2 ports. Would presume from this there are 2 on the 1999 same location for each.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #11

These plugs are located under the driver side dash. I removed one protective cap for the picture. One must be missing the label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Dash Plugs 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	171591  
Old 08-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #12

This picture is of the plug in the aft compartment where the engine oil and transmission dipsticks are located. I removed the protective cap in order to see the number of pins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft Compartment Plug3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	171594  
Old 08-04-2017, 07:05 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Both plugs have the same data. You should be able to get a Deutsch 6 pin to OBD2 cable on Amazon, then a OBD2 reader will give you info, I am just not sure if you will be able to get the engine maintenance light info with the OBD2 reader, but that is the plug that Cummins uses to access the ECM data with their proprietary software, so I think you should be able to. Starting in 2004 WRV converted to Vansco and switched to a 9 pin plug, which is what I use it to get data for my VMSpc system (same info as Silverleaf).
Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #14

OOPS--6-pin plug on pre-Vansco, my bad. Probably not an issue this time of year, but for my early 2003 [late 2002], I will get a recurring CEL on cool/colder mornings if I accelerate too quickly before engine has warmed and allowed the wax-valve to open. After installing Silverleaf [in my 6-pin plug], was able to trace the "fault" to high intake manifold temps. Cause: wax-valve is still closed so engine fan was not running, so inadequate air flow thru CAC causes boosted intake air to heat up.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, light, maintenance