Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

Engine wont crank

A little background, just returned home after 2 weeks on the road, I have a 2001 Alpine with Cummins ISC 350. a couple of days ago we experienced an intermittent issue when starting the coach. When I started the coach, the motor would start and the starter would continue to run, even when turning the key off. When i turned the key off, I could hear the engine turn over and not start, when I turned the key to the on position and the engine would immediately start up. I was able to stop the starter from engaging by turning the key to the start position. This happened intermittently for several days, about 5 times. I made it home last night,shut the motor down, and tried to start the MH to move it further up, and all I get is a clicking sound at the solenoid and the starter motor. I appear to have power all the way to the starter. I am wondering if I have a bad starter. As this began on saturday, over Easter weekend, I was not able to have anyone look at it and was able to make it home the last 600 miles. The motor ran great the whole time with no other issues. Any help is appreciated. thanks Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #2

Hi Bob,
I read your problem and I think you have a bad starter solenoid. I would start there with your trouble shooting. Good luck.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Hi Bob,
I read your problem and I think you have a bad starter solenoid. I would start there with your trouble shooting. Good luck.
Agree you have a solenoid problem. But, after having the starter operate engaged with the engine running, you need to remove the starter and have it checked out. Would not be good to replace the solenoid and then have starter trouble again.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #4

we got home about 2 am, in a snow storm, we are thank full the engine started on our last fuel fill 100 miles from home. hopefully warmer weather later this week, will start at solenoid and will check the starter also. I will keep u posted on progress. thanks Bob
Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

Bob
Look in rear bay where fuel filter and oil dip stick is
Starter solenoid I think is labeled towards the rear
Looks like the old ford solenoid. A heave wire on each side and small wire on
Connectors between. You can jumper between, if starter turns replace solenoid
I agree checking starter motor is necessary
Sandy
Old 04-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Bob, there is a second solenoid, which is located on top of the starter. Although the solenoid that Sandy is talking about is probably the culprit.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

Bob while your checking the starter solenoid take a look at your ground fuse that is located in that same compartment bay and make sure it is ok.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #8

unable to do much troubleshooting today, no snow all winter and we have a foot on the ground. I did find another solenoid, behind the panel accross from the passenger seat It is labeled accessory solenoid. when trying to start motor it is also clicking. hopefully warmer weather later in the week. thanks for help, and i will keep all posted. thanks Bob
Old 04-08-2015, 05:21 AM   #9

Nope--secondary solenoid is in the rear compartment -- same as air cleaner and oil check stick. lots of things to check--seconary solenoid, battery cables [starter is hot wired to bats], primary solenoid on starter, starter itself. If primary or secondary solenoid stuck--you may have cooked the starter....
PS do a look up of this issue on the forum--lots of information on how the primary/secondary solenoids work in series to control starter motor....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
It sounds like your voltage is low.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
It's most likely the solenoid but the ignition switch can cause this problem if the switch is defective. If the solenoid for the starter sticks? hit it with something non conductive and see if it breaks loose and you will have found your problem. Good luck.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #12

Curious--since the Alpine has both a primary and a secondary solenoid for the starter, which solenoid would you have him hit with a non-conductive something or other?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #13

If it sticks, you need to rap both, or the first one that makes it stop cranking.

Doesn't anyone remember raping the old Chevy starters, when they kept cranking.

Diesel starters are just bigger Chevy starters.

With the over- running starter you may have overheated it. Once that happens, the BIG cables on the starter mounted solenoid get hot and loose.

That may be why it don't start now.

The solenoid that is mounted to the starter, server's a dual purpose. It slides the pinion gear, into the ring gear. While doing that, it connects the two large studs on it, together to send battery power to the starter motor.

The small (slave ) solenoid, not mounted to the starter, carries the current to the big starter solenoid, to engage it . The small one is controlled by the key switch. That is so the heavier, solenoid current, doesn't go thru the key switch.

If you re-create the problem and need to hit the starter mounted solenoid it may be sticking due to rust or grime in the mechanical section. Swap it for a rebuilt. You over-cranked it anyway.

Good luck
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #14

Finally able to troubleshoot problem. A friend, our fire dept. mechanic, came by and found power all the way to the solenoid on the starter. starter is bad, ordered new one today, will be here on monday, will remove the bad one tomorrow and install new one on monday. Anyone replaced one before, it looks pretty straight forward. any tips will be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Tags
engine