Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #15

Best day to see Ferndale is around Mother's Day for the Kinetic Sculpture Races. Quite a hoot. First link is for the Museum/Art Studio in Eureka (not to be missed), but I presume the Races still happen each spring more or less.
I'll always remember when the races moved from Ferndale Main Street to cross country including a stretch across Humboldt Bay, and the organizers made an old car (think it was a tank sized Oldsmobile or Buick) into a rescue vehicle for the Bay leg of the race; Coast Guard was cool & looked the other way as to seaworthiness.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #16

We are off to the Oregon coast in late July, I can hardly wait. Last time was south to north but will be aiming south this trip, ocean views should be better. Take your time, enjoy the trip and please remember to pull off when possible to let traffic by.
I did 299 many years ago in a heavy, underpowered truck. 6 1/2 slow hot miserable hours with no a/c.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
IFYI diesel was $3.92 in OR last week and it is state law that the pump attendant must pump your gas for you. I got yelled at the first time I went to pump my own gas.
:
It IS legal for you to pump diesel in Oregon. If anyone yells at you, just yell back to check the Oregon code on diesel. Me and all my RV buddies, including diesel pickup owners, pump our own and rarely get yelled at.

State Park FYI: Jesse M Honeyman SP, located just south of Florence has one loop with especially large spots - H loop. If you are traveling through on a weekday, it's our favorite Oregon SP. While there, be sure to take a drive to Siltcoos Outlet beach access. Also, don't miss olde town Florence - Bay Street - lots of funky shops and good eating.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
Hey Gail, are you going to Eureka for gold or UFO`s?
Would be quite nice if we found gold!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Still more great suggestions...again, thank you to all for taking time to let us know your thoughts on things to see! We also appreciate the tip on fuel stops!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #20

Blogging the Oregon Coast

Here is a link to an RV blog written by a couple of full-timers. They have been up and down the Oregon coast this summer and they actually do reviews of the RV parks they visit. They include pictures of the individual sites as well as tips on which are the best sites. Great reading! You can find it at:

Wheeling It | Living the Fulltime RV Dream with 12 Paws, 40 Feet and the Open Road

Happy Trails!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Gail,
299 West from Redding over the Buckhorn Summit is under construction in at least two different locations. Expect delays of up to an hour on the Redding side of Buckhorn Summit. The trip to the coast is great and after road construction areas you will enjoy. If you want to bypass construction delays the next cut off to coast would be at Grants Pass Oregon, which is also a great drive and end up in Cressent City CA.
Good luck and happy trails !

Steve Davis
casper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Steve, thank you for letting us know about this big construction project. It had been mentioned early by someone who hoped it was complete by now. We may need to figure out a different route, so we thank you for your suggestion!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Gail, I didn't catch when you plan to come through to the coast,but, let me know and I can update you on possible changes or restrictions on 299 east. It might be possible to hit the highway early to miss some of the delays depending on time of day you travel through. My brother in law is working one of the two construction projects and I can possibly find out from him what the best time for travel would be. E-mail me at swdavis@citlink.net if you would like and I will try and help you with additional information. If you plan to stay in Redding also let me know and I can help you find a location to stay.

Steve
casper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Gail! Are you doing this on your way to SoCal's Colorado Rally in Sept?

We have taken that route many times. You just want to take your time and don't be in a hurry! We have a favorite place we like to go for breakfast right after you get to the coast. It is Trinadad Harbor and the little Cafe down by the water. We discovered this place over 25 years ago and it has a romantic charm to it! It is actually below some very lovely homes on the coast but there is a BIG gravel parking lot between the houses and the harbor you can park the rig with no problem getting out or turning around.

We have been there all times of year, and in the winter after bad storms, it is always exciting to see them salvaging boats that have gone under or aground. They aren't big ocean boats but small fishing boats mostly.

I assume you are trying to get out of the Vegas heat? Saw where Pahrump was 113 the last few days! Let's go shooting in Alaska next year???
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Carolyn, the only way I'd be able to get John to stay out that long is to get him up to Alaska! Unfortunately, now that looks like 2015, as we have a family reunion next summer in Michigan...since I'm involved in the planning, I can't very well not go!

We've never driven that far up the coast, so I am really looking forward to it! Of course, part of the rational is to escape this extreme heat we are now in the midst of.

We will be at the Colorado rally, though, and then new Braunfels. Other than family visits for the holidays, that will be our travel for the balance of the year.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinequip View Post
It IS legal for you to pump diesel in Oregon. If anyone yells at you, just yell back to check the Oregon code on diesel. Me and all my RV buddies, including diesel pickup owners, pump our own and rarely get yelled at.
Not arguing with you about that, but I am curious:
Why would anyone WANT TO pump their own if they don't have to???
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #27

Pumping your own fuel is good practice for when you have to.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Pumping your own fuel is good practice for when you have to.

Thanks, Mike...

But here in Washington I always have to, so when I go to Oregon it's like a mini-vacation not to pump my own. One guy even washed my windshield last year!
Thought I was livin' large...and the gas was cheaper, too.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote