Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
All - First read my post "New to Alpines" and read the 1st paragraph. Other brands owners will give you advice which is WRONG for an alpine.

When going downhill, do NOT allow the engine RPMs to exceed 2300, you will blow it up at around 2500, this is straight from Cummins. When going up hill, shift down to 4th gear and keep engine RPS around 2100, this will keep the HYD pump on high speed and give you max cooling at the radiators fans. Remember, never go down faster than you went up the hill, brakes get hot, you want to use the engine/exhaust break for all of it as much as possible. On my coach, when I engage the engine brake, the transmission automatically shifts down to 4th gear, this is the way they are supposed to work, don't have exhaust brake, but assume it is similar, it should shift down to 4th gear too I believe. The exhaust brake needs some maintenance I think, search here in this forum for that information.

Long down hill stretch going into Las Vegas, never touched the brake pedal, used the high/low engine brake, and it worked fine. If new to diesels engines, take driving course, they have NO engine braking without either an engine or exhaust brake, not like a gasoline engine. DO NOT REPROGRAM SYSTEM TO CHANGE any braking or accelerating perimeters which were set at the factory by Cummins/Allison. Bad things can happen.

One last point-see all the time in Parks, folks put their rear wheels in the air and not in contact with the ground, now tell me which wheels have the emergency/parking brake again???? Hanging any wheel in the air without support is not good for the air bags, nor the suspension, put blocks or ramps so all the wheels have something under them, my major pet peeve this is.
Great info.My question is did Cummins program the motor to protect from over revving and over heating?
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
Great info.My question is did Cummins program the motor to protect from over revving and over heating?

The Cummins computer is programmed to "de-rate" of overheating.

The Allison ECM is programmed to prevent overspeeding. Be aware that a higher than governed RPM is permissible with the engine not under load.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:55 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
No, they depend on the driver to read the owners manual for the engine and remember those parameters. Since very few people ever read the manual, I mentioned it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
The Cummins computer is programmed to "de-rate" of overheating.

The Allison ECM is programmed to prevent overspeeding. Be aware that a higher than governed RPM is permissible with the engine not under load.
Thanks Brett.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW - Was talking to a Cummins shop Forman, in PDX, he was telling me about a upscale coach (million +) in the shop for overrevving going down hill. Said the engine must have hit over 3600 RPM and things flew apart, said it was going to take a new engine to fix. He said although AT will shift down to 4th, it will NOT prevent the engine from overrevving, that is called the brake pedal, and the operator has to make sure it does not happen, there are no magic bullets about this it's just common sense. I recommend anyone who has never driven large vehicles, especially diesel ones, to take a commercial driving class or find a business which teaches potential MH drivers. They teach you how to go down and up hills correctly. I rest my case.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
FWIW - He said although AT will shift down to 4th, it will NOT prevent the engine from overrevving...

Interesting.

Have only been in the situation where the engine reached over-speed on a descent one time (agree, it is our job to keep this from happening) BUT the Allison ECM automatically upshifted.

Would be interesting to visit with an Allison engineer about this, as it is my understanding that programmed into the shift protocol is "we WILL upshift to prevent over-speeding". Doesn't matter what gear you down arrow to, what you do with the throttle or service brake.

Tags
brake