Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Exhaust inside coach

We have a 1998 coach. We purchased it this past August. We are Texperiencing an exhaust problem inside the coach. The ceilings are gray except for around the recessed lights. There are other signs of exhaust as well.

When we're driving down the road we can smell the exhaust inside, and when we stop the basement smells very strong of exhaust.

There seems to be one spot in the coach where it's more concentrated and that is at the back side of the slide, in the kitchen area above the stove and convection oven. From the outside it appears that exhaust is entering the slide at the top. There are even streaks of exhast on the edge of the slide that appear to be running opposite to our direction of travel.

At my last servicing I had it checked out and was told that I had an exhaust manifold leak so they repaired that. After getting it back home, a drive of about 60 miles, the smell in the basement was still there as strong as ever.

My question is this. Has anyone else experienced this condition and if so what did they find out and/or do about it.

Thanks,
Dan and Tina
Loctite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dan and Tina,
If it was me, I'd take it back to the service center and tell them you have the same problem. They may have repaired the manifold but that did not solve your problem. If you do not trust that shop, take it to a shop you trust. Exhaust problems are something I do not DIY. A mistake can cost one their life.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #3

As an interim, find a truck parts place and get an exhaust tip extension to push more of the exhaust out into the jet stream.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #4

Dan,
I have never had the slightest smell of exhaust in my coach which is similar to yours. You need to get this looked at asap.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #5

Do you travel with all the windows shut?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #6

What you should do first is test the Carbon Monoxide alarm in your coach (there should be a test button that sounds a loud alarm). You didn't mention it going off. Being that the alarm maybe 11 years old maybe it should be replaced as good insurance. At any rate Carbon Monoxide is deadly, you don't smell it, and there may not be any symptoms. You just die. If it goes off, turn off the engine, open windows, and turn on exhaust fans till it goes off. Don't mess around with exhaust leaks. They are deadly.
GMDavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Just a little more info here. Having talked to the previous owners about this the coach has had this problem for many years. Apparently that's why the ceilings have turned a light shade of gray. They have never had the detector go off and they are the original owners of the coach...custom made. We've never had the detector go off either, but is worth having it checked.

When we're running down the road we usually have the windows closed. When we open any of them we smell it even more...even if it's just my driver's window open. This doesn't make any sence to me at all.

As for the service work they did a good job and I do trust them so I guess it's time to take it back and have them look it over again.

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #8

Try opening the rear ceiling vent w/fan on full.

Also, check seal around bed including frame at the bottom and the hinge. Check wire & plumbing entries in closet area ahead of bed. Check the seal in chassis bulkhead penetration ahead of and above the differential. Probably many small to medium holes contribute.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ive driven a truck that when I opened the passenger window and sometimes depending on the direction of the wind the drivers window the smell of exhaust was very strong. Turned out to be a leaking manifold.

Check it out when its cold and the exhaust is visible, you most likely still have a leak.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #10

We've had a similar problem twice now.

When we first purchased the coach we had a lot of exhaust odor inside; it was worse when we drove with windows open. Took it to a service center here in town and they discovered the heater ducting had melted/burned and was funneling exhaust fumes inside. Fixed the ducting and the problem went away.

Second time was just last fall when we had our brake issues. Our exhaust brake / exhaust system clamps loosened (contributing to our overheated brakes -- very little exhaust braking); the bedroom engine cover wasn't sealing very well due to a mis-engaged engine cover clamp and the fumes from the loose exhaust system were again funneled inside.

So, check your ducting, exhaust system and bedroom engine cover clamps and/or gasket...

Hope this helps.

BTW, this is on a 2000 36' mid-door.

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
MFortie,

I think you might have found our problem. When I had the exhaust manifold repaired the mechanic (Cummins) told me that the heater duct that goes up under the bed was destroyed but I didn't think anything of it. I told them I'd repair it. I'm willing to bet that this is going to be the source of our exhaust leak; I'll attack it tomorrow, weather permitting.

Georgetown350,

The weather is supposed to turn cold again soon so will give it the cold running test and check it out for leaks that way.

I will also test the carbon monoxide detector tomorrow as well.

Dan
Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are smelling exhaust inside the Motor Home get is service fast.. Drive it to the service center with windows open

That stuff can kill you... I don't think a year has gone by since I got serious about RVing that I have not read of an exhaust related death.. USUALLY a generator, But I"ve read of engine exhaust related deaths too.... In fact I've called EMS to help save one of the people in the car. (That was in 1977 by the way)