Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sure wish I could say my extended warranty co paid for a $17,000 engine replacement, but I can't, not yet any way. It's been 2 weeks since they inspected the coach, it broken crankshaft, took pictures, saw and made copies of my maintenance receipts. They still have not made a decision and my MH just sits in the shop with nothing being done.
They have been dragging their feet and now it appears they are digging their heals in. They say they can't read some of the receipts very good (some are 5 yrs old) why did I buy oil for a 3500 Chevy PU with the same engine as a Workhorse 8.1. They even said "How do we know that this oil that is on the receipts was actually put in the motorhome?" I told them I had no pictures of me actually pouring the oil into the engine, so what kind of proof do you want?
The receipts are very readable but some are faded. They suggested I Fed X the originals to them. That would be great for them. They could deny the claim, and I would have no maintenance receipts then.
I told them I did'nt want to do this, they finally gave an Email address and I emailed all my receipts and maintenance log. I'm hoping that without going through the Fax machine , they will have to admit that they are quite readable.
Even worse, the claims dept hides behind the customer service phone asnwerers. No person with any decision making capacities will speak directly with the customer that bought the policy.
If they pay, it will be good, but they are absolutely terrible to work with for expensive repairs.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Swans, thank you for the links. I will put them in the dream file. Yeah off topic, but you know how the old mind works.

And I still wonder if I should get the cummins extended warranty, because any major repair is going to sideline the coach for at least a year, or I will have to try to do it myself, and I don't have training on/in those big systems on a diesel. I am just hoping, good maintenance, good warm-up and cool-down will be the ticket. Keeping the oil changed and the fuel clean is also a big plus as well.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Max says everything that goes thru my mind when considering an extended warranty. If it becomes that much agrivation, what's the difference in loss of peace of mind worrying about a failure.

If you plan on documenting all of your maintenance thru a dealer then it becomes an offset of cost. What you save on doing your own labor can pay for many repairs. Granted, not a major component like an engine. But look what Max is going thru.

Dave
Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without an extended warranty, Max is looking at $17,000 out of pocket for sure. With the extended warranty he at least has the option of suing them if they do decide not to pay. Nothing is as fast as we want it when insurance companies get involved.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Let's do a poll
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
17,000, wow, hmmm, contact Navistar directly, through the workhorse main contact, and get them to push the other way. If you can prove (which you have) you had the correct maintenance or performed it when it was supposed to, they might fix your engine under a customer goodwill fix.

Now, if you get a lawyer involved, you will have increased your EW costs 20 fold, and then you might still end up with nothing. Don't throw the "sue" word at them until they deny your claim.

And make sure they don't make the company doing the engine use any rebuild parts to save money, this would be especially true on crankshafts, main piston rods, pistons and camshaft, etc because they will have turned out oversize to the end of its tolerance life.

Hope it all works out, but your story proves my point, the aggravation of fixing it out of pocket saves my blood pressure going through the roof.

I keep all my receipts for the purchase of oil, filters, and record the maintenance in a book. I hope never to have to use it to spur cummings on to treat me right, but up till now they have done my oil changes. So it's in their computer as well.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
A polling thread has been added
Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's the big ticket items that says to me: Get the Extended Warranty

Some big ticket items can easily cost $10k, $30k and even $50k

Well,,, as you know, it's an insurance policy.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
It's the big ticket items that says to me: Get the Extended Warranty

Some big ticket items can easily cost $10k, $30k and even $50k

Well,,, as you know, it's an insurance policy.

Just in case I might need assistance, I contacted the Colorado Div of Insurance. I'm not positive their reply is correct but they told me they don't have jurisdiction over "Warranty" policies.
My ESP says, this is not an insurance policy but they are covered through an insurance policy. 'National Service Contract Co RRG

The Div of Ins told me I should file the complaint with the CO Attorney Generals' Office.
I'm still holding out a little hope, but trying to get prepared.
Denver, Colorado
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$17,000, and complete new engine is $5,000 Wow !! Some labor !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If my ESP hassles me too much, Chuck I'll buy your new 8.1 ready to run engine engine. Great deal since rebuilt ones are $6000. Now tell me about your new one for $5000. And how much to install it?
Denver, Colorado
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
If my ESP hassles me too much, Chuck I'll buy your new 8.1 ready to run engine engine. Great deal since rebuilt ones are $6000. Now tell me about your new one for $5000. And how much to install it?
Unless you have something special, Chevy dealers sell them. They are called crate engines and they have them for just about anything. Not all dealers will give you the right price but any shop should be able to get them. Labor, of course, is something else again. If they have to take the Motorhome apart to access the engine then it,s a whole new ballgame. It would be good idea to ask the repair shop what is entailed in getting the engine out . Unfortunately they have you over a barrel and they know it
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
$17,000, and complete new engine is $5,000 Wow !! Some labor !!
$17,000 is a bargain. We had checked out a used Monaco that needed a new engine and Monaco said it was a $28,000 engine replacement! Of course we passed on that one. Joe
Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #42

I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything and I never will. I like the peace of mind that comes with no warranty company to fight. A few of my friends have bought extended warranties and told me about the nightmares they have had trying to get repairs covered.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote