Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR4134 View Post
Alpine 36. Just wanted to throw out a thankyou for your post
Johnny Spiegel
Your welcome. Hope it helps if you are considering this upgrade.
FWIW, nearly 5,000 miles since the install, zero issues.
Coach runs great. Fuel mileage unaffected, noticeable light to mid throttle acceleration performance improvement...all for about the price of an ISC stock replacement lift pump.
Piece of mind not starving the CAPS unit, priceless.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #16

Morning Alpine, I have a question, when you bypassed the lift pump, did you leave the return line still attached? my lift pump is now leaking with the pressure from the FASS pump and I just don't see a way to bypass the return side cause it uses a banjo fitting. also when you bypassed the lift pump did you cap the fittings on the old lift pump? I was amazed when I removed my old primary filter to install the FASS system and found such a restricted inlet to it, I know its for the one way check valve but what a difference of available fuel now going to the engine.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikadoo View Post
Morning Alpine, I have a question, when you bypassed the lift pump, did you leave the return line still attached? my lift pump is now leaking with the pressure from the FASS pump and I just don't see a way to bypass the return side cause it uses a banjo fitting. also when you bypassed the lift pump did you cap the fittings on the old lift pump? I was amazed when I removed my old primary filter to install the FASS system and found such a restricted inlet to it, I know its for the one way check valve but what a difference of available fuel now going to the engine.
From his second post/update:

"I bypassed the fuel feed in/out on the original lift pump with a AN10 male male fitting and capped the original fittings, but left the Caps pump return lines connected to the original lift pump manifold."
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, I left the return lines as built, capped the lift pump ports with female #10 caps and tied the lines together with a #10 male/male connector. Also, dont forget to disconnect the lift pump 12v connector and add the relay or you'll throw a check engine light.
We have driven about 5k trouble free miles this summer/fall with the FASS installed.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Yes, I left the return lines as built, capped the lift pump ports with female #10 caps and tied the lines together with a #10 male/male connector. Also, dont forget to disconnect the lift pump 12v connector and add the relay or you'll throw a check engine light.
We have driven about 5k trouble free miles this summer/fall with the FASS installed.
What's the relay for? Is it just creating a load for the missing pump?
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
What's the relay for? Is it just creating a load for the missing pump?
Yes, the ECU is looking for resistance (load) from the 12v lift pump while going thru it's 30 second priming routine every time the key is cycled to the run position. (wait to start)
It will throw a fault code 278? check engine light.
BTW, this is how I found out our lift pump failed electrically...well that and the fact I no longer heard the lift pump rattling away at pre start.
Simply cut the wires off the old lift pump, buy a standard Bosch style fog lamp relay and add female spade connectors to the cut wires. Hook them onto the coil terminals of the relay. Energizing the coil windings is enough load to "fool" the ECU. Polarity makes no difference which wires go to the coil terminals. The relay only stays energized for the 30-40 second lift pump priming cycle, then turns off.
You could probably accomplish the same thing with an old 1156 light bulb, or anything creating a load for that matter.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Imnprsd, and came equipped with only one single Fleetguard FS1022 water separating fuel filter in the rear filter bay. 10 micron.
So yes, I'm currently running all three filters. My plan is to filter 10 micron at the FASS and five at the original filter in the bay.
Could you list the parts numbers for the filters you plan to use?
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
I'm using the two FASS filters the titanium series pump comes with.
The FASS Particulate Fuel Filter PF3001 is rated at 144 micron.
The Fass Water Seperator Filter XWS3002 is rated at 2 micron.
These all "feed" the original Fleetguard FS1022 10 micron fuel filter in the filter bay. So far, so good. I like having the original filter in place in case anything in the original fuel line were to come apart. The dual FASS filters have a replacement interval of 30k miles, so I won't be changing those anytime soon. I have attached the link to the FASS filter page for your reference. Take Care, Mike
https://fassride.com/products/xws-3002-and-pf-3001/
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #23

Quote:
I'm using the two FASS filters the titanium series pump comes with.
The FASS Particulate Fuel Filter PF3001 is rated at 144 micron.
The Fass Water Seperator Filter XWS3002 is rated at 2 micron.
These all "feed" the original Fleetguard FS1022 10 micron fuel filter in the filter bay. So far, so good. I like having the original filter in place in case anything in the original fuel line were to come apart. The dual FASS filters have a replacement interval of 30k miles, so I won't be changing those anytime soon. I have attached the link to the FASS filter page for your reference. Take Care, Mike
https://fassride.com/products/xws-3002-and-pf-3001/

Wow, a 144 micron primary. That truly IS a ROCK CATCHER. Commonly accepted ratings are Primary= between 10-30 micron. Secondary to engine manufacturer's specs (generally 2-5 micron).

I have no problem making the OE filter "redundant"= finer filtration up stream of the OE filter.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Wow, a 144 micron primary. That truly IS a ROCK CATCHER. Commonly accepted ratings are Primary= between 10-30 micron. Secondary to engine manufacturer's specs (generally 2-5 micron).

I have no problem making the OE filter "redundant"= finer filtration up stream of the OE filter.
According to the FASS site, the 144 micron filter is placed on the suction side of the pump to reduce cavitation and pump noise. The 2 micron is on the pressure side, has no water drain because the filter element traps the water. These two filters must be used together.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
According to the FASS site, the 144 micron filter is placed on the suction side of the pump to reduce cavitation and pump noise. The 2 micron is on the pressure side, has no water drain because the filter element traps the water. These two filters must be used together.
That is my understanding as well. Not sure I need to worry about the 10 micron FS1022 in the filter bay. It's a water seperating type also. Thankfully we've never had any fuel contamination issues. I'll continue to use Diesel Kleen and biocide on a regular basis and hope for the best.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #26

Quote:
That is my understanding as well. Not sure I need to worry about the 10 micron FS1022 in the filter bay. It's a water seperating type also. Thankfully we've never had any fuel contamination issues. I'll continue to use Diesel Kleen and biocide on a regular basis and hope for the best.
Agree that the 10 micron filter will probably never need to be changed except due to age of the filtering element.

My first thought was to swap the 10 micron with the 2 micron, assuming the threading on the filters match. That would make replacing the filter that is most likely to clog, the 2 micron, relatively easier to access. Further, it would keep the 10 micron in your "monitoring conscientiousness" as well as subject to the pressure gauge read-out.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This has been one of the better threads I have read on this site. Been considering the FASS system but didn't like the concept of running a return line from the engine compartment through the basement forward. Fuel line under pressure in the basement made me uncomfortable. This forward mount idea is brilliant. Not sure if it will work on my Spartan chassis but I will doing a good search to see if it might work as time and weather permits

One question, any problems with noise, any passenger seat complants?

Thanks for sharing this information.
mg2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
No complaints whatsoever. When we first installed it you could hear a faint high pitched whine, but that has completely subsided after a couple thousand miles. Some have reported they rubber mounted it to the FASS supplied bracket to eliminate any noise.
I do hear some strange noises from the passenger seat occasionally, but not from the FASS pump lol.
Honestly, if you can access the fuel tank fittings easily and have an extra unused vent bung, I wouldn't hesitate to mount it this way. Even if your original fuel supply lines were to develop leaks at least they are under pressure and wouldn't introduce air to the CAPS, not the case if the supply lines were under negative pressure (vacuum) like the cracked straw analogy...feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Mike
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Tags
fuel, install