Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2022, 02:39 PM   #1

Faulty HWH Control Box

Thank you for reading. I’ve got a bit of a problem. I have a 2004 Alpine Coach FDTS, 40’ with the 625 HWH leveling system that has a faulty control box, and that has been verified by two different repair shops.

I talked to HWH and they gave me a RGA number so I can send it in for repair. They wouldn’t give me a turn around time, and I am told it can take months for the repair. I am full time, but it is what it is.

So I removed the control box today to send in and found that my slides don’t work without it in place. I reinstalled the box and now the slides are working again. I move around quite a bit, so I need working slides.

Is there a place that sells these control boxes used or new? Does anyone know of a similar coach sitting around where I might salvage one? Is there a way to bypass the control box and still have working slides?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Bob
Jeepinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #2

Bob,

visoneRV.com In Kentucky

colawrvsalvage.com In Missouri.

They have many salvage motorhomes- some Alpines.

Many other brands also use the HWH system.

Good luck!
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:25 PM   #3

Colaw RV Parts and Salvage actually has a couple listed on ebay. I don't know if they are for the 625 system. They list parts numbers so you can match with yours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27522482752...541fff39992e4e
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:39 PM   #4

Out of curiosity, what was the failure? On my coach the pump would not run for either the slide or the jack operation. A mobile mechanic in consultation with HWH traced the problem to a micro relay on the control board. Since the mechanic had isolated the problem to a specific part, I found the micro relay online on Ebay. The part number was marked on the relay. I replaced it myself. Works fine now. But it should only be attempted by somebody with some experience desoldering and soldering components to circuit boards! You risk destroying an expensive to replace circuit board.

It has happened to me twice. First time I sent it to HWH, but back then they turned it around in under two weeks for about $100. I bought 5 relays for $20. (You can find them for about $2 ea. online, but the lead time from China is REALLY long. Longer than HWH!)

You can find information on this forum on building a bypass box to operate the jacks without the box in place. I built one, and tested it. it does work! However as you found, the wiring for the slide operation passes through the box, and they will not operate without the box connected. The only thing the box does for the slide operation is turn on the pump. But I have not seen anything about how to bypass the box for slide operation.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:45 PM   #5

P.S. There are a lot of part numbers for control boxes for 625 systems. Part of that is because of different slide configurations and the wiring that passes through the box. Match AP part numbers carefully!
Old 04-07-2022, 07:47 AM   #6

Thank you gentlemen for all your replies. As of yesterday I called HWH to make an appointment at their facility in Iowa. The woman I spoke to in that department told me that they are now all caught up and that if I sent the control box in they could repair it in about a week.

It amazes me that employees in different departments have no idea what the other is doing … or, maybe some just don’t care and simply go through the motions. Two different people, two different answers.

So it seems as though my problem is not really a problem at all. I will get this sent off. Thank you again for all your input. Bob
Jeepinbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh