RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #1

Faulty LP gas detector

I was investigating an intermittent foul smell in the coach that I thought might be LP gas, even though the LP gas detector showed a green light and screeched when the test button was pressed, just out of curiosity, I took an unlit LP torch and blew it directly into the detector orifice. Guess what. No warning screech. It was an Atwood Protechtor series 2001 LP gas detector. Replaced it with a new unit that works. Back of the old one indicates it was manufactured in 2003. I guess the test button just tests whether the sound producing part works not the actual detection of LP gas.
( foul smell turned out to be a faulty AAV under the bathroom sink. Smell was gray tank gas.)
jkrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #2

2003 is an old unit. Smoke detectors should be replaced at 10 years, but their test buttons will continue to sound an alarm even if they no longer detect smoke. CO detectors have a 7 year life, but they will typically warn you at EOL. Not sure what the life of a gas detector is, but it's probably not 17 years!
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #3

My 20 year old coach came with the original detector.
I also learned that the sniffing component (I don't know how it works) does wear out after 7-10 years.
For cosmetic reasons I bought a really slim battery-operated unit from amazon. It has a digital display that shows ppm.
Now if I could only find a super slim smoke detector that would replace the factory unit on the ceiling behind the driver's seat.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
OK, I have a propane detector that was installed at build time. So now it's 12-13 years old.

I wired in a switch to cut the power to it when we aren't using it, and it's parked in the shed.

My question is, will it extend the life of the detector, or will it degrade while no power is going to it?
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #5

Those sensors have a 'shelf life' ....whether on or off typically 5-7 years

Best to replace on 5 yr schedules to be on SAFE side
Or sooner if not functioning correctly
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:34 AM   #6

As biscuit said, they have a shelf life. So if you ever see one on super clearance, check the "born on" date.

That will be my research today---how do they actually work? Mysterious alien technology?

--------------------------------------------
Cool to see the word Kamloops in print. When I was little, my family went back and forth between vancouver and Edmonton dozens of times.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:40 AM   #7

Brianna,
I went with these, not real low profile, but the smallest one I could find.
When I bought them the reviews were not great about battery life but I've had them now for a couple of years and they have been great.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-1...752145&sr=8-17
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We have a HydroHot water heater and residential refer, so when we changed out the cook top to 2 burner induction I removed the propane tank and LP gas detector. Only issue is we use electricity to cook so boon docking battery time is reduced if we cook inside. On the plus side we got rid of a lot of weight and the LP gas issues, we also are able to go through tunnels that have a LP gas restriction, here on the east coast that can be an issue.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:31 AM   #9

Dr Dave, there is certainly a case to be made for going all electric. Not worrying about an explosion, fire or quietly dying your sleep from gas leaks is a real comfort.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Save money - buy Li battery powered detectors

When my CO detector died, I found that it could be replaced by a 10-year-life battery-powered detector for half the price of a replacement 12V wired-in detector. Probably applies to LP detectors too.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas