Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #1

Filter in wheel well?

While changing my gen. oil and filters etc. I noticed what appears to be a filter in the drivers side wheel well. I'm thinking it's hydraulic, not sure. What is it and what does it require?

My next step is to change the 3 filters in the canister in the rear. I figure I might as well address this other thing while I'm at it.

I checked the dipstick on the canister and the fluid looks clear, not red like trans fluid. I read a couple posts about Dexron III or some other fluid. Will they mix if I go back with the Dex?

Thanks
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #2

Terry,

Alpines used different hydraulic fluids over the years. My recommendation is to use what the owners manual for YOUR year and model recommend.
wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

Thanks, Any info on the little canister in the wheel well.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Up in that area is the filter for the diesel fuel for the HydroHot. On my 38' it is in the compartment with the propane tank, I am not sure where they put it on the 40', maybe some who owns one can help?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
It's the Aqua Hot Filter. Same in all coaches.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
It's the Aqua Hot Filter. Same in all coaches.
Does the whole thing get replaced, does the bottom screw off, how is it maintained /changed and where do you get one. Do I swap it out for a different type?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, if it's the Hydro Hot it is a spin on filter. Can you post a pic?
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #8

Sorry, I can't post a pic, does resemble a filter, looks like a water separator, like a small clear plastic version of a big spin on fuel filter. There looks to be one or two valves on the bottom, maybe to drain off water?? I didn't really mess with it, I wanted to check on what it might be and how it might come apart? The location also kind puzzled me. Best I can do is text or e-mail a pic to somebody tomorrow. Maybe somebody will know what it is between now and then.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
You should have your Hydro Hot serviced every year and they will change the filter at that time.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #10

Todd.

Did a little on line searching of filters in general and it looks like it may be a Racor fuel water separator, maybe marine. I'll get in there today if time permits and do a little more twisting and turning.

Like I said earlier, it appears to have a drain valve on the bottom of the canister. I'll keep ya posted if you're curious.

Rusty Bear,

I'm trying to catch up on all the maintenance that may not have been done by the PO. Figure I'll do what I can myself and leave the big stuff, brake fluid change etc., to the shop guys.

DrDave,

That's where it is so it makes sense that it would be the filter. Location doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess that's part of the charm of an Alpine.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
It's in the right location for the Hydro Hot filter. Probably something the PO installed. Not your typical filter installation for HH/AH.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #12

I got in there today with a mirror and checked out the filter. It is an Aqua Hot FLX-R12-TRA which is what is called for. The new ones on line look like a spin on type, open on top and sealed up on the bottom. I can't really tell from the pics on line.

The ne I have does look like a spin on with a bowl and drain on the bottom just like a big fuel filter.

Do all of the filters have the plastic bowl on the bottom? Are they a two piece filter?
Old 06-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
I got in there today with a mirror and checked out the filter. It is an Aqua Hot FLX-R12-TRA which is what is called for. The new ones on line look like a spin on type, open on top and sealed up on the bottom. I can't really tell from the pics on line.

The ne I have does look like a spin on with a bowl and drain on the bottom just like a big fuel filter.

Do all of the filters have the plastic bowl on the bottom? Are they a two piece filter?

Terry,

Go here:

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum.php

This forum is run by Roger Burke who is a great asset to motorhomes who have AquaHot systems. Roger sells parts at a discount. He has the filter you need. The body of the filter spins onto the filter head and the plastic bowl on the bottom is re useable. The new filter comes with the necessary O rings for top & bottom.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My 05 has the Hydro-Hot filter in that location also. It is a simple screw on with no water separator. I change it every year. As for the hydraulic canister in the engine compartment I switched to Chevron Rycon 46 from the original 15/40 engine oil in the hopes of better brake performance. Didn't make a hell of a lot of difference. I don't think the system much cares what fluid you run.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote